Photo upload program (to Michael)

Michael,

A little while ago Marilyn tried to upload her photo on her profile page. She called me when she couldn't get it to work, but she was doing everything correctly. The photo wasn't too big, etc. But when she browsed her computer for the photo file and the file name appeared in the space, nothing happened. Later I tried to upload a new photo of myself on my profile page, but that didn't work either. My old photo just stayed in place.

So is there some kind of OL software problem here? The process is so simple that I cannot imagine that we made any errors. And I've changed my photo many times in the past with no problem.

Ghs

George,

I think it's a good chance the problem is the software. To upgrade, I have to personally request it each time because they don't want the customer to do it, but they want a CYA disclaimer in case they screw up. It's silly, but this irritates me. :)

This has led me to getting behind on the updates. I keep putting it off to avoid the irritation. Not very professional, but there it is. :)

I am requesting one right now and that should fix the problem. This usually takes a few days for some goddam reason. I'll let you know when they do it.

If you want the pictures up before they get around to the update, send them to my email address: mikellyusabr@yahoo.com and I will do it from the administrator end.

Michael

George,

I think it's a good chance the problem is the software. To upgrade, I have to personally request it each time because they don't want the customer to do it, but they want a CYA disclaimer in case they screw up. It's silly, but this irritates me. :smile:

This has led me to getting behind on the updates. I keep putting it off to avoid the irritation. Not very professional, but there it is. :smile:

I am requesting one right now and that should fix the problem. This usually takes a few days for some goddam reason. I'll let you know when they do it.

If you want the pictures up before they get around to the update, send them to my email address: mikellyusabr@yahoo.com and I will do it from the administrator end.

Michael

Michael,

Thanks for taking care of this by uploading Marilyn's photo.

Ghs

I found a way around the updating the personal pic logjam.

There are three ways to change or add a picture. The first is to upload an image from your own computer. This only works if the file is below a certain size in bytes, as far as I can tell -- and even then the board software simply does not register the image. Error messages don't always show the limit, if there is one, and in any case remains inert and unresponsive. So don't bother with that frustrating loop.

The second way to change or add an avatar is by referring to an image on the web. Lots of us have websites or FTP sites where we can upload our own images -- but not everybody. But this is the option that gives you the most control. I recommend a service that i use to store the images I embed in the forum. It is free, simple, fun: http://postimg.org/ Postimg does not require you to register. It is that simple.

The third option is working, but it is connected to one's Google avatar.

So ... advice to anyone trying to add or upload a picture:

• Breathe deeply
  • find a picture of yourself
  • reduce the size of the image to less that 200 pixels wide (using the free online image editor Pixlr: https://pixlr.com/editor/)
  • upload resized smaller image to Postimg
  • copy the actual direct URL to the image (Postimg lets you do this in a snap: they have all the code you need for forum, web or email)
  • In the OL update image page, enter the full URL of the re-sized pic and voila.

I made a quick video to show that two out of three ways work just fine. In the coming update, we all hope the image-upload gets fixed. I did not add any sound.

If anyone wants some help with any of this, just ask. It is easy to put a picture online. I can do that for you and then give you an address that allows you to bang in the image URL you want ...

I'm here all week.

My email, if you want to merely send an attachment, my email address is william dot scherk at Gmail dotcom.

devulikon_MSK_01.png

Edited by william.scherk