Our fifth year

Kat

Please join me in the fight to make a difference in the lives of those affected by autism and support us as we walk for Autism Speaks.

Autism is a complex neurobiological disorder that inhibits a person's ability to communicate and develop social relationships, and is often accompanied by behavioral challenges. Autism spectrum disorders are diagnosed in one in 88 children in the United States, and one in 54 boys. The prevalence of autism has increased 600 percent in the past two decades. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have called autism a national public health crisis whose cause and cure remain unknown.

My son is affected by autism and it affects so many aspects of our life. I'm asking for your support to help Autism Speaks fund important research, help families, and advocate for better education and insurance reform.

So much more research is needed to find the causes, effective treatments and eventually a cure for this devastating neurological disorder called autism. I want to see my son beat this thing.

With your participation and support, we can get there even faster. Please make a donation on my walk page http://www.walknowfo...hicago/katdaddy

Thanks!

Kat

So much more research is needed to find the causes, effective treatments and eventually a cure for this devastating neurological disorder called autism. I want to see my son beat this thing.

Kat

Kat, I would not get your hopes up too high. Autism proibably has a genetic basis. Which means genetic screen and selective birthing are probably the most effective ways of preventing the condition. A similar strategy is used to prevent the birth of children who will get cystic fibrosis.

I don't think the condition can be "cured". It is also a good-news bad news condition. On one end of the spectrum you have children who can not communicate or interact socially. I have a nephew who stopped talking at age two. At age seven he is still not talking. He is perfectly intelligent and aware but he has no urge or need to talk which will mean he will have to be cared for the rest of his life. On the good news side you get Asperger's syndrome. Which means you have people like Bill Gates or the great physicist P.A.M. Dirac. If autism is prevented successfully that means the likes of Gates and Dirac will not happen which is a loss to the human race.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Please join me in the fight to make a difference in the lives of those affected by autism and support us as we walk for Autism Speaks.

Autism is a complex neurobiological disorder that inhibits a person's ability to communicate and develop social relationships, and is often accompanied by behavioral challenges. Autism spectrum disorders are diagnosed in one in 88 children in the United States, and one in 54 boys. The prevalence of autism has increased 600 percent in the past two decades. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have called autism a national public health crisis whose cause and cure remain unknown.

My son is affected by autism and it affects so many aspects of our life. I'm asking for your support to help Autism Speaks fund important research, help families, and advocate for better education and insurance reform.

With your participation and support, we can get there even faster. Please make a donation on my walk page http://www.walknowfo...hicago/katdaddy

Thanks!

Kat

Has the prevalence of autism really increased by 600% in the past two decades? What would cause such a dramatic increase in such a short period of time? This seems like a medical impossibility. Is this instead a case of changing the diagnostic criteria, such that what is now labeled as autism was previously not given this label? Or has there really been such a huge increase in so little time?

I'm sorry about your son and wish him the best.

Martin

Martin, some of the increase is due to better detection and awareness so that kids are getting tested more. The new numbers (1 in 88) is actually based on 2008 data that was just released last week. Why it takes so long, I don't know, but it probably has something to do with big government. When I was a kid, the incidence of autism was about one in 10,000, but back then they just called everyone retarded or special and probably didn't even include the aspies in the spectrum. They will be changing the criteria again next year to exclude aspergers so when the numbers say what you don't like, you simply change the criteria, right? If they word it just right, then my son will not be autistic anymore. After all, he can talk. It just took him 4 years to do it.

There is still so much research to be done and what is generally agreed is that autism has a genetic component and an environmental trigger. What pulls the environmental trigger will be hotly debated for years to come.

OK, just to sweeten the pot, the first donation from an OL member for over $50 who IM's me gets their choice of a 1 oz d'Anconia copper coin or Jennifer Burns' book, Goddess of the market.

Dig deep. :smile:

Kat

About autism:

Perhaps it is best to -not- do the research to find causes of autism. You might find what you are looking for.

Autism Triggered by Mercury Poisoning | Dr David Ayoub 58:43

[1 of 2] The Global Vaccine Agenda - Mercury & Autism 1:31:17

The vaccine theory has been thoroughly debunked and deconstructed.

Ba'al Chatzaf

About autism:

Perhaps it is best to -not- do the research to find causes of autism. You might find what you are looking for.

Ba'al Chatzaf

The problem with vaccines may be that babies get too many of them and in too short a period of time. They frequently have aluminum and mercury adjuvants. I'm glad I have no babies, letting me avoid worrying about these things. It's one thing to get a tetanus shot--in Vietnam I saw a baby hours before it died from tetanus--but some things babies need to get to prime their immune systems.

--Brant

no opinion on aspies and autism

About autism:

Ba'al Chatzaf

Yes, it has, but the total absence of any scientific evidence for these dangerous crackpot theories will not stop the credulous like jts from buying them. With money.

danconia_dual-400.png

Well, we had a winner but he declined a prize so we'll keep this going a bit. I am trying to raise money for Autism Speaks and this will be our fifth year participating in Walk Now for Autism Speaks, their biggest fundraising event. The Chicago walk draws in over 10,000 people and raises millions of dollars for autism research.

I want to see my kid beat this thing and am finally seeing some hope as I investigate and try out new things such as changing his diet and his doctor. I know there is no cure for autism, but some are making drastic improvement with the GFCF diet and various therapies and biomedical interventions. In my son's case, I don't believe vaccines caused his autism because he did not have seizures or a dramatic change, but I know of others where that was the case, so I certainly would not dismiss that theory. A baby gets about 35 vaccine doses by the time he is 2 and if I had to do it over again, I wouldn't.

Anyway, whether or not you agree with me, please help us solve this puzzle we call autism.... and maybe win a book or Ayn Rand collectible coin in the process.... http://www.walknowforautismspeaks.org/chicago/katdaddy

cheers!

Kat

The problem with vaccines may be that babies get too many of them and in too short a period of time. They frequently have aluminum and mercury adjuvants. I'm glad I have no babies, letting me avoid worrying about these things. It's one thing to get a tetanus shot--in Vietnam I saw a baby hours before it died from tetanus--but some things babies need to get to prime their immune systems.

--Brant

Define "too many". They get enough so that few babies come down with the diseases against which they are vaccinated. When I was a kid, summer time was "the polio season". We lived in semi-dread of coming down with polio. Salk and Sabin spared my children and grandchildren that fear.

Prior to 1930 many families lived in dread of the whooping cough and diptheria. There is no such thing as "too many" vaccinations as long as the diseases are Out There.

Ba'al Chatzaf

--Brant

Define "too many". They get enough so that few babies come down with the diseases against which they are vaccinated. When I was a kid, summer time was "the polio season". We lived in semi-dread of coming down with polio. Salk and Sabin spared my children and grandchildren that fear.

Prior to 1930 many families lived in dread of the whooping cough and diptheria. There is no such thing as "too many" vaccinations as long as the diseases are Out There.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I don't know about whooping cough, but there certainly should be vaccinations against polio, diptheria and tetanus. Please read my posts for comprehension, not for an excuse to spout off. You are not responding to what I actually wrote. I am not an anti-vaccine fanatic.

--Brant

Ba'al Chatzaf

Even setting aside questions about the vaccine paradigm and whether vaccines work, modern vaccines contain such things as mercury and aluminium and squalene. These are poisons. Mercury is one of the most deadly poisons known to man and it is injected directly into the bloodstream. Injection of mercury is much worse than ingestion of mercury, because the gut is a great protector. When a kid gets like 20 vaccines in one day, each vaccine with poisons, at some point it might be too much.

Read the insert that comes with the vaccine. It tells you outright the poisons and the dangers and the contraindications. The authorities rely on you not reading it. Find the insert with Google.

They used to say if you are vaccinated you are protected for life. Now they are saying you must be vaccinated every year for the same disease. But viruses mutate and you must be vaccinated for each mutation, every year. Looks to me like they don't want to admit that the vaccines don't work, but no matter, they can make lots of money vaccinating people and still more money treating the problems caused by the vaccines. I have a better idea. Be healthy. Healthy people have a natural immunity to almost everything.

Once in a while we hear on the news that the rate of getting the disease is higher for those who were vaccinated against it. Plus the evils of the vaccine poisons. A whole bunch of doctors who studied the subject of vaccines are coming out against vaccines with evidence, not just opinion. Obviously most people will dismiss everything they have to say without hearing it, based on what is "generally accepted". Accepting whatever is "generally accepted" is much easier than spending a few hours getting informed about an alternative view and making your own conclusion.

Things like whooping cough and diptheria were trivial for doctors like Dr. Tilden and Dr. Trall, without vaccines and without drugs. Do you argue against success? These doctors had a different paradigm of disease, unknown and unimaginable to most people.

I have no fear of such things as H1N1 or whatever the latest virus pandemic scare. I do have fear of vaccines and I have no use for them.

The tremendous decrease in childhood mortality came about because of gross improvements in public sanitation and understanding of the germ theory of disease. Other big advances in medicine came from smallpox, tetanus, and polio vaccinations, anesthesia, insulin injections and the use of DDT and antibiotics. There have been no relatively significant advances since Salk and Sabin over 50 years ago save for the cultural excoriation of smoking and people taking more responsibility for their health as with diet and exercise, and not letting doctors play God with them. The biggest negative is government and third-party payer generally.

--Brant

The theory that the decline of smallpox and other diseases was helped by vaccines is not supported by the statistical evidence. For example the graph shows that smallpox was on the decline before the vaccine and that the vaccine did not make any difference. For more information see "The Poisoned Needle".

Tilden had experience with smallpox. He said smallpox is a disease of filth. The Indians were specially vulnerable to smallpox because they lived in filth. Smallpox is over-rated as a disease. A healthy person can be exposed to the disease and not get it.

Koch's postulates for proving that a germ causes a disease were changed by one word. A germ causes a disease in a susceptible host. That one word makes a huge difference.

Germs are everywhere. Poisons are everywhere. We are adapted by millions of years of evolution to survive. We must be weakened some way before a pipsqueak germ can do much to us.

We have a Winner!!!

Dennis Edwall stepped up to the challenge.

I can give away up to 3 prizes so lets keep this thing going. A $50 donation from OL members will win either a d'Anconia 1 oz copper barter coin or Ayn Rand Goddess of the Market by Jennifer Burns.

I'm tempted to give the monkey a prize just for speaking out against vaccines... but it will cost him $50.

Again, the website for my walk donation page is http://www.WalknowForAutismSpeaks.org/chicago/katdaddy

Keep it coming because I'm getting closer to my goal.

thanks,

Kat

The tremendous decrease in childhood mortality came about because of gross improvements in public sanitation and understanding of the germ theory of disease. Other big advances in medicine came from smallpox, tetanus, and polio vaccinations, anesthesia, insulin injections and the use of DDT and antibiotics. There have been no relatively significant advances since Salk and Sabin over 50 years ago save for the cultural excoriation of smoking and people taking more responsibility for their health as with diet and exercise, and not letting doctors play God with them. The biggest negative is government and third-party payer generally.

--Brant

Americans have a notoriously bad diet and we've also come to a place where there is a divergence of outcomes in medicine. Many multi-system diseases have symptoms that can be treated while still getting the root cause wrong.

Jim

About autism:

Horse Poop.

The "vaccination cause" has been thoroughly debunked.

The is mounting evidence that autism has genetic roots.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I found an interesting article on autism.

Please look at: http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-health/20120409/US.MED.Autism_s.Causes/

Ba'al Chatzaf

About autism:

Horse Poop.

Here is some more horse poop. There is lots of horse poop. I selected Blaylock because he seems to have the most horse poop per minute in his lectures. And he seems to really know his horse poop.

I suspect that most of Dr. Blaylock's horse poop is too deep for most people to wade thru.

Even if vaccines don't contribute to causing autism, that does not prove that vaccines are safe or good. They do contain poisons and these poisons are put directly into the bloodstream. Mercury is one of the most deadly of all poisons. If you take mercury directly into your bloodstream, should you expect it to not do harm? Add to that other poisons. And interaction among all these poisons.

Perhaps truth is not the point. If the truth turned out to be that vaccines are neither safe nor effective, that could be bad for a multi-billion dollar industry. What would they be willing to do to save the industry? Fudge the studies, maybe? That happened before.

If you were the editor of a scientific journal that made 70% of its income from advertising drugs, would you publish articles that bash drugs? That wouldn't be good business.

It is said that peer reviewed research is self-correcting. Yup. Who are the peers? Maybe those who peddle the product? Was the study funded by a vaccine company? Maybe if it doesn't support the bottom line, it must be corrected.

If vaccines and drugs harm health, that is actually good from the point of view of making money for the medical industry. They don't make much money out of healthy people. But they must be careful to not go so far as to kill people; it's hard to make money out of dead people. The ideal is to have people live as long as possible but in a state of bad health.

I don't trust research done by or funded by the industry that peddles the product or by the FDA.

Contrary to popular belief, the Fraud and Deception Administration does not exist for the purpose of protecting the general population against fraud and deception. It exists to promote the products, get people to think they are safe and effective. Sometimes the FDA bans a product, but that is to protect the company that sells the product; if it kills too many people, that would make the company look bad and would be bad for business.

Anyway, have a listen to Balylock's horse poop.

Dr. Blaylock Vaccines and Autism 14 parts, about 5 min each

part 1/14

You can easily find the remaining 13 files if you are interested.

jts: I hope you don't mind a little feedback. I've waded through a number of your post now and I feel compelled to give something back.

I didn't know anyone was making such a fuss about vaccines anymore. It's easy to find plenty of articles like this one: http://www.wired.com...ience_argument/

This comment I find particularly offensive and manipulative: "I suspect that most of Dr. Blaylock's horse poop is too deep for most people to wade thru.",

You may think this sounds persuasive knowing most people are not experts in medical research and the statistics of experiments, like all specialities only those who spend years in the field actually understand much of it. We therefore have to rely on the experts in a particular field that somehow earn our trust. Given I believe the average professional in the medical field to basically want good outcomes for their patients I look for consensus of opinion amongst those who don't have an ax to grind. Blaylock doesn't qualify in my opinion. I think the ax you personally are grinding is your hatred of the entire medical profession, perhaps due to a bad experience you've had with some procedure or another. I detect bias.

I found an interesting article on autism.

Please look at: http://xfinity.comca...utism_s.Causes/

Ba'al Chatzaf

From the above link:

"ATLANTA — More than $1 billion has been spent over the past decade researching autism."

They gotta walk a narrow line. On the one hand, they gotta keep up appearances, make it look like they are accomplishing something, so they can keep getting money from the government. On the other hand, they gotta be careful they don't actually get results and then no longer have a job, and lose revenue for the medical industry besides.

Ten years into the future they probably will still be spending money on researching autism and still be almost getting results but not quite. Like cancer.

If it was the free market, they would have to get results first and money after. Then they would get results. And they wouldn't spend $1 billion.

• 2 weeks later...

I am halfway to my goal and ~3 weeks away from the event and still have some goodies to give away... A 1 oz D'Anconia copper barter medallion or Jennifer Burns' book, Goddess of the market. The guys that have donated $50+ so far have declined the incentive gifts so it is still wide open. Please visit my Walk Now for Autism Speaks page and help if you can. I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Kat

jts: I hope you don't mind a little feedback. I've waded through a number of your post now and I feel compelled to give something back.

I didn't know anyone was making such a fuss about vaccines anymore. It's easy to find plenty of articles like this one: http://www.wired.com...ience_argument/

This comment I find particularly offensive and manipulative: "I suspect that most of Dr. Blaylock's horse poop is too deep for most people to wade thru.",

You may think this sounds persuasive knowing most people are not experts in medical research and the statistics of experiments, like all specialities only those who spend years in the field actually understand much of it. We therefore have to rely on the experts in a particular field that somehow earn our trust. Given I believe the average professional in the medical field to basically want good outcomes for their patients I look for consensus of opinion amongst those who don't have an ax to grind. Blaylock doesn't qualify in my opinion. I think the ax you personally are grinding is your hatred of the entire medical profession, perhaps due to a bad experience you've had with some procedure or another. I detect bias.

1. The link: Mere assertion does not impress me.

2. Blaylock: Why rely on trust and opinion and consensus when you can have the facts and judge for yourself?

3. Good outcomes for their patients: I look for doctors who actually get good results for their patients. For example Dr. Fuhrman's diabetic patients recover from diabetes; they don't just live with it. Or, in the case of Blaylock, he goes by peer reviewed studies.

Why do you assume that medical doctors are experts? Experts in what? Experts at prescribing poisons, yes. Read what Blaylock says about how bad hospital food is from the point of view of health.

4. My hatred for the entire medical profession: That goes as far back as the 1970s long before I had any significant experience with doctors. It started with my study of health science, not to be confused with medicine.

We therefore have to rely on the experts in a particular field that somehow earn our trust.

I will give you one example. I had a conversation with a doctor. The topic was autolysis of tumors. She said and I quote "I disgree and I'm a doctor."

I was supposed to take her word that tumors can't autolyze. Dr. Shelton saw hundreds of tumors autolyze in his practice, and I'm supposed to take this doctor's word that tumors can't autolyze just because she has a MD after her name. Dr. Karalis sees tumors autolyze as the normal thing in his practice, but I should take this one doctor's word that it can't happen because she is an expert even tho she knows nothing about the subject. Dr. Moser saw tumors autolyze. I saw a tumor autolyze on my own body. But no, I should trust a so-called expert. What happened to the Objectivist virtue of rationality? Why is faith better than reason when one deals with doctors?

When she said "I disgree and I'm a doctor", I knew 2 things about her: she was ignorant and too arrogant to learn.

Some people have more faith in doctors than a saint has in God.

• 3 weeks later...

The autism walk is this coming weekend and I still have a couple hundred dollars to raise to reach my goal of $2,500. I appreciate the support of OLers who have contributed to the cause. So far, nobody has claimed a prize and it has been rolling over. The prizes are d'Anconia copper or Jennifer Burns' book on Ayn Rand. Since this is the final stretch, the next donation of $40 or more takes both prizes. Donate now and message me with the address to send it to.

Good luck!

http://www.walknowforautismspeaks.org/chicago/katdaddy

Kat