Do you want to get real mad? What the ISIS thugs trash an art museum.

BaalChatzaf

have a look here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2970270/Islamic-State-fighters-destroy-antiquities-Iraq-video.html

I have no great love for the religions that produced these artworks, but they are the product of skill, focus and talent and that I HAVE to respect.

I must confess I had the urge to kill ALL of these bastards. Not some. All.

The ISIS people go beyond thuggary. They are enemies of the human race!

Ba'al Chatzaf

My urge is that of killing every single person on the planet who believes in "god", or who ever says a single word of good about religion. All theists seem complicit and semi-responsible for this horror. They are the de facto allies and supporters of this true sacrilege and rawest of evils.

Seriously? No, I'll make allowances for your ire. "Complicit" and "de facto allies" - wow. You've lost context.

I found I like many sensible religious people, and a world filled with atheists doesn't excite me much.

The books, Bob. They burned the books.

My urge is that of killing every single person on the planet who believes in "god", or who ever says a single word of good about religion. All theists seem complicit and semi-responsible for this horror. They are the de facto allies and supporters of this true sacrilege and rawest of evils.

Then you would want to kill Isaac Newton and Albert Einstein. Bad choice of victims.

Just blow up the churches with the congregations inside.

--Brant

for starters

Ever since the classical Greeks, people have massively pretended to be ignorant about the impact of monotheism upon the education, liberty, happiness, and progress of mankind. But religion seems to be at the heart and root of every evil on earth, today and always. Even the atheistic communists. Certainly the Randroids.

People take leave of their senses and rationality, as well as their decency and morality, by turning to some charismatic prophet or commanding guru. When reason, philosophy, and science first started to go bad, 2550 years ago, the bad guys converted to Pythagoreanism and the Eleusinian mysteries. These seem to be the genesis of every cult -- from Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi and ISIS to Leonard Peikoff and ARI.

The books, Bob. They burned the books.

Book Burning goes way back. Julius Caesar was first to burn the Library at Alexandria. The last that we know of was Caliph Umar in the early 8 th century. He "reasoned" thus: If the books agree with the Holy q'ran they are redundant and if they disagree with the holy q'ran they are the works of Satan and should be destroyed. So what was left of Ptolemy's book collection in Alexandria after the Romans and the Christians burned them was finished by the Muslims under Caliph Umar.

Will they destroy the pyramids?

Even if they wanted to they could not. The Pyramids are the mass equivalent of mountains. Even if the Pyramids were nuked they would not be completely destroyed.

People take leave of their senses and rationality, as well as their decency and morality, by turning to some charismatic prophet or commanding guru.

Many people do do that, always have and apparently always will. It has to be the measure of their desperate need to belong, to be awarded identity and be given purpose in life.

You could re-write all of history, but dogma would always have existed and exist, and its real title is altruism-collectivism, the willing loss of the independent mind to the masses and/or to any perception of absolute power - secular, or godly. Still, it's individual people who carry out the dirty work, almost regardless of how irrational/brutal are their basic scriptures. (Religions presently, vary hugely by their degree of irrationality, in principle and in practice - I don't think they can be painted by the same brush).

From all this, I have a resistance to any bandying-about of the notion, "radicalization". In its effects, it permits and justifies savage actions by insinuating determinism. If it were consistently possible for an evil idea to invade anyone's mind, take over one's body and force one to do its bidding, I have my doubts the human race would have lasted this long. Since it has, it would seem most individuals have eventually sensed reality just enough to step back from the brink of complete insanity, whatever the ideology they have been exposed to or brainwashed into.

It really does not matter. Even if you identified and killed every last member of ISIS another group of even more retarded "radicals" would fill the void.

Let the muslim world clean up their own damn mess. Anything weeee do will just be looked upon as muddling and we will be used as scapegoats to fuel their bullshit claims of "blowback". Give them what they really want so that they are forced to live with the consequences of those actions. They will have to reform themselves.

It really does not matter. Even if you identified and killed every last member of ISIS another group of even more retarded "radicals" would fill the void.

Let the muslim world clean up their own damn mess. Anything weeee do will just be looked upon as muddling and we will be used as scapegoats to fuel their bullshit claims of "blowback". Give them what they really want so that they are forced to live with the consequences of those actions. They will have to reform themselves.

That is perfectly put.

You simply take them at their word--that they represent the Calphinate. Declare war and destroy it. On a difficulty schedule of 1 - 10, low to high, overthrowing Hussein was a 3. This would be a 1 - 2. They aren't fighting for a religion but for a country. The religion is the excuse. No country no fight. Basically this is what is left of Hussein and his battles against "the Persians" in the 1980s. It's a jejune continuation of the Iraq - Iran war. Hussein executed some people by throwing them feet first into wood chippers. The problem with the beheadings is only that ISIS is sticking them into everybody's face with modern Internet technology, terrorizing the receiving world, not just the locals. We got rid of the wood chippers, so I guess things are now actually better. Everybody's now worried about what is going on in Nigeria, but decades ago one tribe slaughtered by another in Africa to the tune of 100,000 dead hardly bothered anyone not in country. How many North Vietnamese soldiers died in "The American War"? About a million. In the Cambodian communist genocide? 2 - 4 million.

--Brant

worry about the coming war with Iran and hope something really, really bad doesn't happen consequent to Ukraine

America doesn't fight wars to "win" them anymore. Hell they can't even call it a war. Except for "War on drugs" lost that one, not that it should be fought. "War on terror". Losing that one badly with the consequence of it's citizens being less free, more spied upon and more regulated.

All that is being accomplished in the ME is a consistent drain on American resources which only serve to weaken it.

America should consolidate itself and strengthen itself economically. Developing shale oil is a step in the right direction. America should strive to be not only energy independant but even an exporter. The price of oil today is an attempt by the Saudi's to kill America's development of shale oil. It's a form of economic warfare against the west. They hate the idea of us not needing them.

I think it is time America just stops foreign aid to countries that hate everything America stands for.

Stop trying to make other nations "become democratic". They just screw it up anyways because they are not ready for it.

You are right Brant ISIS is a continuation of the Iran/Iraq war. So let them carry in killing one another for the next hundred years. We should let them, not help Iran by carrying out bomb runs on them. As I said let them sort themselves out and stop wasting resources by joining in.

If the time comes where America actually NEEDS to go to war in the ME then hit them so freaking hard and destroy them so completely they will never out of fear even fart in your direction ever again. If that time comes then you go for an absolute and unconditional surrender with the only other option offered them is complete destruction. Until that time comes though just stay out of it.

Maybe continue to support Israel though just to piss them off.

It will matter eventually. Either, people will revert to some rationality, self-interest and thinking for themselves from their observations, by free choice, or, they will be shunned and excluded by those more civilised, or, they'll get blasted to their kingdom come.

http://www.jpost.com/International/Norwegian-Muslims-to-form-ring-of-peace-around-Oslo-synagogue-as-gesture-of-solidarity-with-Jews-391381

See what I mean? I had also stated that they need to reform themselves, this is a step in the right direction and very encouraging. You can't just lump them all into "all muslims are bad lets deport them all" mindset.

I also saw a thread that in Norway over 800 muslims were deported in October. Right away people are going to cry racism or what ever. Fact is these people being deported are criminals who broke the law regardless of one's country of origin or race/religion if you break the law all a country has to do is enforce their own laws and give you the boot. Seems kind of common sense that one should not be able to hide behind a religion or race. Break the law go to jail and or be deported.

It also sends a clear message to would be future bad elements. "Damn this country doesn't take any shit, I better behave!"

Anyways back to the article. I read it and felt like I had witnessed a "finally they are doing it moment ". Let's hope singular acts like this become the norm and it catches on in the muslim communities within our countries.

That the Gates of Ninevah represented their gods is irrelevant. The historical works of art speak for people of a time and place. The Taliban - friends of Ronald Reagan - blew up Buddhas. Debate Buddhism all you want, that is a totally different discussion apart from art history. I own a Roman imperial sestertius struck during the reign of Marcus Aurelius. On the reverse is Minerva with her Owl. The religious meaning of those icons is irrelevant to the historical context. To me, the coin stands for the Meditations (written in Greek) by the philosopher and emperor. I have coins of Troyez. To me, they stand for the Great Medieval Fairs, not necessarily for the religion of the popes and Templars. They are artifacts of a time and place.

I deeply believe that other peoples' property is not worth killing or dying for. I am not religious about past wars, such as Vietnam and WW2. I believe that nothing is more precious on Earth than human action. But if I had been there then and been armed, I would have killed them all without compunction to save the works of art.

have a look here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2970270/Islamic-State-fighters-destroy-antiquities-Iraq-video.html

I have no great love for the religions that produced these artworks, but they are the product of skill, focus and talent and that I HAVE to respect.

The ISIS people go beyond thuggary. They are enemies of the human race!

Ba'al Chatzaf

Address them as follows...seek...destroy...period.