My Cato Essays

I should have said this in the earlier post:

Smith's statement helps explain how the essentially libertarian political spirit of the early Enlightenment became perverted into an authoritarian trend by the time of the French Revolution. There have been a few works that address the transformation of liberalism from individualism to collectivism (Arthur Ekrich's The Decline of American Liberalism, for one), but Smith illuminates a critical point: democracy went from being a means to individual rights to an end in itself.

• Replies 696
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This paragraph in particular is of enormous value:

Liberalism began as a protest against the absolute sovereignty of monarchical governments, so it is understandable why liberalism, in its early stages, sometimes contrasted the sovereignty of the people or nation with the sovereignty of hereditary monarchs. But this appeal, which was originally intended to weaken the power of governments, was later transformed into a rationale for the expansion of power. The “will of the people,” as expressed in popular elections, became the ultimate political good, an irresistible power that trampled under foot the rights of individuals.

Why is this of such value?

--Brant

I want what's in your head, not mine

There is a time and place for democracy, just like everything else. It gets you authoritarianism when not used in moderation.

I should have said this in the earlier post:

Smith's statement helps explain how the essentially libertarian political spirit of the early Enlightenment became perverted into an authoritarian trend by the time of the French Revolution. There have been a few works that address the transformation of liberalism from individualism to collectivism (Arthur Ekrich's The Decline of American Liberalism, for one), but Smith illuminates a critical point: democracy went from being a means to individual rights to an end in itself.

The Jacobins were a little nutty.

• 2 weeks later...

Toward an Interdisciplinary Study of Liberty, Part 2

A far-ranging discussion of the meanings of key terms in libertarianism, kinds of ideologues, and crucial elements needed for an understanding of individual freedom.

My Cato Essay #115 is now up.

Ghs

• 2 weeks later...

Intellectuals and Libertarianism: Thomas Sowell and Robert Nisbet

Smith discusses the role of modern intellectuals in government

My Cato Essay #117 is now up.

I forgot to post my essay (#116) from last week. Here it is.

Intellectuals and Libertarianism: F. A. Hayek

Smith explores F. A. Hayek's views on intellectuals, whom Hayek called professional secondhand dealers in ideas.

Ghs

Edmund Burke, Intellectuals, and the French Revolution, Part 2

After criticizing Murray Rothbard’s interpretation of Edmund Burke’s first book, Smith summarizes Burke’s primary objections to rationalistic intellectuals.

My Cato Essay #119 is now up.

Ghs

Why am I not surprised George will criticique Burke in the next part?

--Brant

because he didn't in the second part--not because he's an intellectual egomaniac

next! (let's get what we can before he goes on strike because of some obscure Randian influence)

George, two of your Burke quotations in the middle of your article don't read like Burke but like you, but not you. It's as if someone had re-written Burke then claimed he was quoting him and you in turn quoted "Burke."

--Brant

but another great article!

George, two of your Burke quotations in the middle of your article don't read like Burke but like you, but not you. It's as if someone had re-written Burke then claimed he was quoting him and you in turn quoted "Burke."

--Brant

but another great article!

What quotations do you have in mind?

Ghs

Two indented quotes. the first began "This mixed system of opinion. .. . " The second: "It was this opinion . . . . " They seem to lack the flowery grace and power of his other quotes.

--Brant

edit: I guess after reading them a few more times they could be Burke as such

Edited by Brant Gaede

Looking forward to more Mackintosh.

It's simple enough to me. Natural rights inhere in a human being for they are respecting human, volitional, nature. Next to that we have government. We can posit that, like climate (heh), government is always changing either to more respecting these rights--and protecting them--or is going the other way, particularly or generally. Ergo: we encourage and insist on government dedicated to more respecting human rights. It's not that we carve out or up the government and throw it away aside from gross tyranny (how did that happen?), but that we keep kicking it in its moral ass with our moral foot.

I am not, of course, representing any of George's ideas except coincidentally. And George is writing about Burke and Mackintosh, not George and me.

--Brant

Looking forward to more Mackintosh.

It's simple enough to me. Natural rights inhere in a human being for they are respecting human, volitional, nature. Next to that we have government. We can posit that, like climate (heh), government is always changing either to more respecting these rights--and protecting them--or is going the other way, particularly or generally. Ergo: we encourage and insist on government dedicated to more respecting human rights. It's not that we carve out or up the government and throw it away aside from gross tyranny (how did that happen?), but that we keep kicking it in its moral ass with our moral foot.

I am not, of course, representing any of George's ideas except coincidentally. And George is writing about Burke and Mackintosh, not George and me.

--Brant

I plan to discuss your views in Part 38 of the series. I may get to my own views before that. 8-)

Burke's ideas could not protect Paine from the government even if the Burkians would have wanted them to, only the government from Paine--ironically confirming Paine. Obviously many in England were scared shitless over what had happened and was happening in France culminating in the real existential threat of the Napoleonic wars. There's a nuanced difference between liberty and freedom with freedom and liberty being biased to America and liberty to France. I have the impression freedom properly (to me) tapers the impulses of liberty but not to the extent as in England in those times. Freedom has the gravitas of a conservatism more cherished by Burke than a raw liberty not cherished at all. The fervor of liberty temporarily destroyed monarchial rule in France only to expose it to the snap back of emperorism destroyed in turn by England--and a stupid choice by a military genius to invade an unconquerable Russia--replaced by another but quite jejune emperoric rule. After that France and England pretty much got along with England finally bringing in its huge grown up son America to help them whip Germany's ass twice. The American Revolution was the best thing that ever happened to Anglo power. It's still dominant in the world today however presently threatened. Silly France is too narcissistic for a self-objective consideration of what it's really all about and why and the debts it has to others.

--Brant