WOW - Oldest Film Footage Of NY City - Earliest Is At The End

Selene

This is remarkable and some decent music...

1890's to 1903 ...

The circular shot from the tower of the Brooklyn Bridge is in need of words...

A...

Nice catch with that video compilation, Adam. My dweeb nerd brain lit up (because of my life-long fascination with urban engineering). I also love those eye-in-the-sky historical maps, like this one:

1280px-George_Schlegel_-_George_Degen_-_

You might also like this 'found footage' of a cable-car ride down Market Street in San Francisco in 1906. This version added a sound track. It looks like pedestrians were a hardy breed back in the days without cross-walk markings or multiple traffic lights. Note also the wild automobile drivers.

-- for best effect, click the gear/tool symbol and speed the video up 2X. Then the near-misses are twice as entertaining. Four days after this motion picture came the great earthquake and fire.

Edited by william.scherk

Nice find, Adam & William. Thank you.

Looks like the men and women were well dressed for their time.

You rarely see a man today wearing a stetson or similar hat.

Nice find, Adam & William. Thank you.

Looks like the men and women were well dressed for their time.

You rarely see a man today wearing a stetson or similar hat.

I also think that the streets were very clean, or was it lack of definition?

Also, we know where Miller got his Marilyn Monroe upskirt on the subway grate idea!

The Seven Year Itch, hmm speaking of itches...

moonro2.jpg

Have you notice how almost everyone has a hat?

My partner and I were waiting for a client, a neurologist who was taking us to dinner.

Snow was lightly falling, giving Manhattan a purity and grace in the early night as we waited in our truck in midtown.

We were talking about the collapse of the American family and pondering the whys of that fact.

People were walking by hunched into the wind and suddenly, Milton turned to me and said, you know what is missing from today's culture?

He paused and said men with hats.

A...

• 4 weeks later...

Great footage of Manhattan 1949...

Notice how clean the streets were.My how far we have fallen with self control as individuals.A...

Thanks Adam for the trip down memory lane.

I was only 3 yrs old when that was shot.

By 8 or 9 I remember going from Bklyn to Chinatown for a Sunday meal with my family.

In this footage (at 4:12) I recognize the Chinese restaurant we frequented. It was Linchee Won (it's long gone since).

Times Sq. and the Wall St. area is also how I remember it growing up.

But wait, where's the Taggart Bldg?

-Joe

• 5 weeks later...

You can see where Ayn got the images of the underground tracks and the lantern bearing track workers from...

I think I counted only one or two black folks...

I really like this video. It's factually informative with only some pr bullshit. I only take a little umbrage at the use of "foolproof" without any caveat.

This little production assumes a thinking, intelligent audience.

When I first saw the inside of a NYC subway station in 1960, I was struck by all the men in business suits and hats pouring in an out of immaculate (clean) trains and stations. Eight years later it wasn't so nice. For the first time I heard someone publicly use the word, rare then, common know, "fuck"--it was a prepubescent boy riding the 8th Ave subway (going south) alone. I was shocked. And I was only a year out of the army. I don't know about the navy, but we didn't talk like that in the army. Fuck it. Now I do myself often enough.

--Brant

succumbed

Brant, a very common saying among us draftees was F.T.A. (Fuck The Army). This would be '68-69 and not so much with the the volunteers. I heard it, and even said it, throughout basic and even during my overseas tour in Japan.

-J

Brant, a very common saying among us draftees was F.T.A. (Fuck The Army). This would be '68-69 and not so much with the the volunteers. I heard it, and even said it, throughout basic and even during my overseas tour in Japan.

-J

I don't remember that one. Might be because I wasn't drafted. I "volunteered." The only two I remember were No Chance Outside (Non-Commissioned Officer [NCO]) and, chortle chortle, F.B.I. (Female Body Inspector). The years were '64-'69.

--Brant

"going around the world" didn't come with an acronym

• 2 months later...

Stick with this video.

Sometimes I forget that I have grown up and live in the greatest city on the planet.

Stick with this video.

Sometimes I forget that I have grown up and live in the greatest city on the planet.

Mahheap #1 Planet Earth