The Passion of James Valliant's Criticism, Part V

Neil Parille

Robert,

The IP is from Comcast and its location is somewhere in the neighborhood of Colorado Springs, Colorado. You can check it yourself here if you wish: IP Address Location.

I seriously doubt that Leonard Peikoff has his Internet service run through Colorado Springs.

EDIT: I have just been informed that Leonard Peikoff lives in Colorado Springs, as do the Hsiehs. I had presumed Peikoff lived in California near ARI. I checked this and there are indications on the web that both Peikoff and the Hsiehs live in Colorado Springs. (Where else would Ms. Hsieh live if not next to the head honcho in her perception? :) )

This does not mean the email came from him (or her for that matter). I suggest you run a check and have someone ask him outright. If it was him, OK. If not, I am sure he will be interested to know that someone is running around writing to folks in his name.

Michael

Michael,

Diana and Paul Hsieh live in Sedalia, Colorado. That's a bit of a haul from Colorado Springs.

I've emailed a couple of queries. We'll see whether they get a reply.

Robert

PS. As I understand it, the Hsiehs moved to Sedalia because Diana Hsieh had been accepted by the University of Colorado graduate program, Paul Hsieh was working in the Denver area, and she wanted a place where they could keep horses. I don't think Leonard Peikoff was living in Colorado Springs yet.

Robert,

Dayaamm!

It was a nice thought, though... :)

I looked it up. Roughly 50 miles between Sedalia and Colorado Springs.

That's probably close enough to fall within the bounds of the "Guessed City" designation in the IP address location program. (For the record, I don't think the email was from her. Not her style. Her thing is on stage, not backstage. But if not Peikoff, it could be an acquaintance.)

Michael

Over on SLOP, Ellen just came up with a cute idea—that maybe the email really was from Peikoff and that the original "B. Branden" email was from him to Valliant.

After all, according to Objectivist Liar Lindsay Perigo, disclosure of the source was supposed to shock and awe the civilized world. And this dude has been... er... uncharacteristically evasive ever since that pronouncement.

Hell, I'm going to start taking bets on all this stuff.

Who's in?

:)

Michael

Since I do not know any of the facts, I will hold the money for the usual vig! :P

Actually, Perigo's article in Wikipedia might get deleted also, along with the articles on his biographer, the radio station where he worked at and even the NZ libertarian party. I received an email with the following link from Wikipedia user discussions: User talk:Hoary#Lindsay_Perigo.

(Thanks, you.)

Apparently one certain "Hoary" is well-liked and respected. Here is what is going on so far in a discussion between Hoary and J Readings. This last editor is the one who posted on Solo Passion, discrediting the notion that "B. Branden" had solicited the exclusion of James Valliant and PARC from Wikipedia.

Lindsay Perigo

Hi Hoary. I respect your opinion, so I would appreciate you taking a look at this very short article that I stumbled upon. Based on the evidence so far provided and Wikipedia's notability criteria, do you consider the subject notable? I'm not sure what to think, so I would like to solicit some more opinions from established and respected members of the community. J Readings (talk) 03:17, 29 May 2009 (UTC)

Uh . . . his main achievement seems to be founding and running a political party that never got more than 0.3% of the vote (NB even in a system of proportional representation) in a nation with the population of Kentucky. He's the subject of a bio, but this is written by another bigwig within this picayune party, and published by his own employer, a station of "talkback" radio that's heavily into horse-racing. And they -- him, his biographer, his radio station, his little political party -- all have articles. Seems very walledgardeny to me. On the other hand he's an "objectivist", and "objectivist" philosophasters seem to get fanatical support in some WP circles; the articles aren't that bad in their NN way; and somehow I imagine that my learned friend DGG would vote "keep" for the lot. -- Hoary (talk) 11:53, 29 May 2009 (UTC)

Thanks for the feedback. I checked various databases only to find myself wondering if there could be anything added that's more mainstream. After pouring over JSTOR, Google Scholar, Google Books, Factiva, LexisNexis and Google News, I confirmed the existence of this bio and one other article about Perigo in a small English-language newspaper. That was it. Does that constitute "significant" coverage for an stand alone Wikipedia article? Hmmm....I don't know. I guess it depends on how one defines "significant", right? J Readings (talk) 13:40, 29 May 2009 (UTC)

Yup. AfD it, and somebody will pipe up to say that a booklength bio constitutes evidence of notability. To which I'd respond that a bio published by Lutterworth or Butterworth is one thing, a bio published and written by other features of your walled garden is another. Energy permitting, I'd send the lot to AfD. -- Hoary (talk) 13:56, 29 May 2009 (UTC)

AfD means "Articles for Deletion." I can't tell from the way it is expressed whether Horay's intention is actually to "send the lot to AfD" or if this person is merely venting.

Time will tell.

Michael

Michael,

When you lay them out like that, Mr. Perigo's exchanges with Gregster make quite a script.

Robert Campbell

Well if Mr Perigo gives 'Gregster' a serve I am all for it. This vulgar man called me a 'mad bitch' and all sorts simply because he disagreed with my correct prediction on the DOW. He is the most gratuitously insulting individual I have ever come across on the internet.

His ugly words match his face.

There's something else really weird going on at SLOP. There's a thread (here) about a young cellist named Stjepan Hauser. The thread starts with a YouTube video of him playing a movement from the Rachmaninoff Cello Sonata.

His playing is simply gorgeous and although I usually avoid listening to classical music because it hurts too much (from giving it up), I decided to listen to this. I choked up at the climax (which comes near the end). I had forgotten how beautiful this thing was. Good Lord. I couldn't work for about an hour after listening to it. I can still hear it lingering in my soul...

But I saw on the thread that there was a lot of contention. So I took a peak.

Of all the crazy things, people were trashing this cellist because of his body language. Apparently people think his facial expressions appear phony or gay or masturbatory or whatever. And Perigo was there defending him, trying to claim (or at least insinuate) that his facial expressions where the expression of high art or a noble soul or rational passion or whatever.

Blah blah blah...

I do admit that his breathing got a little loud at times, but the recording was of a live performance.

I can't relate to the people on that thread. Things got so heated over the body language of this cellist that one poster simply left the site for good. In all my professional career in music and afterward, I have never seen such a thing as this discussion. I simply don't know what to make of it.

I have seen and performed with oodles of people (some quite famous) who make all kinds of weird expressions during performance. Some conductors and soloists even look absolutely loony and/or outright lewd when they get going. It's a personal thing. I rarely hear people comment on it. Most people I know in the classical world want the music—and if the performer has to look like a basket case or in the middle of a copulation to make the music sublime, then so be it.

Stjepan Hauser's facial expressions are tame compared to a lot of what I have seen. I do know that no one can play the way this young man plays and be a phony attention seeker like he is being accused of.

I am tempted to think that people on SLOP are so ticked at being constantly goaded and attacked for their musical taste, they are going overboard for payback. But from what I read, some of them seem to mean it.

Strange strange strange...

For what it's worth, let me end this detour to the present discussion by saying if you would like to hear some wonderful top quality cello playing, I recommend Stjepan Hauser as one of the very best I have ever heard.

Michael

EDIT: I just had a thought. When a person publicly practices constant smuttiness and vulgarity and encourage others around him to do likewise, it should come as no surprise to him that beautiful things are not regarded as beautiful, but are treated with the same lack of respect.

Michael,

When you lay them out like that, Mr. Perigo's exchanges with Gregster make quite a script.

Robert Campbell

Well if Mr Perigo gives 'Gregster' a serve I am all for it. This vulgar man called me a 'mad bitch' and all sorts simply because he disagreed with my correct prediction on the DOW. He is the most gratuitously insulting individual I have ever come across on the internet.

Well, you may well get another 15-25% up on the DOW. I'm protecting myself by using the 20, 50 and 200 day moving averages. I want my stocks above those averages. I figure I can stay invested this way even though I'm an Austrian. I especially favor oil, gold and silver.

--Brant

This vulgar man called me a 'mad bitch' and all sorts simply because he disagreed with my correct prediction on the DOW. He is the most gratuitously insulting individual I have ever come across on the internet.

Ruth,

Heh.

Here's a thought experiment for you. Put yourself in Barbara Branden's shoes and reread your own words, but think about another target and add about 200 different cuss words to "mad bitch."

I believe Barbara is far too forgiving of the vulgar "gratuitously insulting" Objectivist Liar Lindsay Perigo.

Michael

And Mr. Perigo's, er, thought process is curious, to the say the least.

http://www.solopassion.com/node/6329#comment-71840

Folk become priests in the first place because they want to kiddy-fiddle. Renouncing marriage is not a problem for them. They get a job where there are kids galore. Kids who trust them because of their status. It's the Church of Pedophilia.

Even if we were to credit this explanation, Immanuel Kant wasn't Catholic and didn't become a priest.

Robert Campbell

Mr. Perigo recently accused John Paul II, Benedict XVI and Kant (!) of being pedophiles.

http://www.solopassion.com/node/6329#comment-71794

-Neil Parille

Folks:

Is there an internet shower that I can step into whenever you guys provide a link to that forum??

"...pedophilia is lesser evil..." Lindsay

than being an altruistic pedagogue!

OK - are there special glasses you need to wear to get the secret messages in this morass of mediocrity and their banal bullshit?

Adam

Edited by Selene

Adam,

Objectivist Liar Lindsay Perigo's greatest political achievement in life was maliciously and falsely scapegoating Jim Peron as a pedophile to the extent that Peron lost his NZ visa. (I examined this up close and have no restrictions in saying that.)

Now that Objectivist Liar Lindsay Perigo has been publicly discredited with the "B. Branden" fiasco, he is trying to get mileage out of Peron once more. That's all this is.

Michael

Thanks.

I remember reading your synopsis a while ago.

I just cannot imagine having no life that continually carrying past luggage around forever seems a completely meaningless waste of time and energy.

Plus he does not write well at all.

Adam

This vulgar man called me a 'mad bitch' and all sorts simply because he disagreed with my correct prediction on the DOW. He is the most gratuitously insulting individual I have ever come across on the internet.

Ruth,

Heh.

Here's a thought experiment for you. Put yourself in Barbara Branden's shoes and reread your own words, but think about another target and add about 200 different cuss words to "mad bitch."

I believe Barbara is far too forgiving of the vulgar "gratuitously insulting" Objectivist Liar Lindsay Perigo.

Michael

Not forgiving at all. I've not read anything in these past few years where she forgave him for anything. Quite the contrary, unless you'd count not suing the pants off him.

--Brant

Mr. Perigo recently accused John Paul II, Benedict XVI and Kant (!) of being pedophiles.

http://www.solopassion.com/node/6329#comment-71794

-Neil Parille

This guy actually makes more outrageous comments about Kant than Ayn Rand did.

I didn't know that was actually possible...

Michelle,

You ain't seen nothing. You need to see some things to believe them. There was one thread on SLOP a while back entitled, "Muslims are Goat-Fuckers." This is just one example of gross vulgarity and bigotry out of many.

To be fair, the thread actually flip-flopped between discussing free expression and slightly veiled bigotry (but only slightly).

But they knew what kind of impact a headline makes on casual readers.

This kind of crap is called "rational passion" and presented in the name of Ayn Rand.

I kid you not.

Michael

Michael; I was tempted to send the message to you. "Michael, on the Perigo question Could you tell me what you really think." As for me I am convinced Perigo is a s. I don't need any more evidence. Is there a good hit man available.

As to the IP issue, I have been advised that Leonard Peikoff lives in Riverside, CA.

So whoever sent that email to Robert, it is a very strong probability that it was not Peikoff.

Michael

Meanwhile, I have not heard back from anyone at peikoff.com.

If I do not get some kind of response soon, I will treat the email as a hoax.

Robert Campbell

As to the IP issue, I have been advised that Leonard Peikoff lives in Riverside, CA.

So whoever sent that email to Robert, it is a very strong probability that it was not Peikoff.

Michael

Meanwhile, I have not heard back from anyone at peikoff.com.

If I do not get some kind of response soon, I will treat the email as a hoax.

Robert Campbell

The lack of response could just as well be due to reeconsideration of the wisdom of contacting you. If you do think it is a hoax, would you then be opposed to publishing the contents?