Palin steps down as Governor of Alaska

Sarah Palin burst onto the political scene in Alaska in 2006, a self-described "hockey mom'' and small-town mayor who ousted the incumbent governor to become the youngest person and first woman to hold the post in a state whose government had been dominated by many of the same faces since its inception. She burst onto the national scene two years later, when Senator John McCain, the 2008 Republican presidential candidate, drafted her as his running mate on Aug. 29, 2008. During the fall campaign, she was easily the most polarizing figure on the trail, drawing huge, devoted Republican crowds, but deeply negative reactions from Democrats and many independents. After Barack Obama won the election, Ms. Palin returned to Alaska, where her return has been rocky, as both Democrats and Republicans say that the currents of state politics have been altered by what they believe to be her national aspirations.

Ms. Palin's first significant government post was as as mayor of her hometown, Wasilla, Alaska, where she oversaw increases in both spending and population. Drawn into state politics as a member of an energy panel, Ms. Palin started accusing high-ranking members of her own party of ethical lapses, leading to some resignations. Finally, in 2006, she took on Gov. Frank H. Murkowski. Running on her usual message of a "new face," Ms. Palin beat the incumbent governor in the G.O.P. primary. Her outsider status helped her buck a national trend of Democratic victories in the general election.

Since taking office, Ms. Palin has raised taxes on oil companies' revenue from the state -- seen as a risky move by some observers -- and crafted a deal with a Canadian firm to potentially build a long-sought natural gas pipeline. But she has also come under scrutiny: In July 2008, an investigation was opened into whether Ms. Palin had tried to use her office to get her sister's ex-husband, Michael Wooten, fired as a state trooper. An inquiry by an investigator hired by the Alaska Legislature determined that she had breached the ethics act by pressing to have Mr. Wooten dismissed. But a second investigation by an independent investigator hired by the state Personnel Board later cleared her.

With five children, Ms. Palin's family is a central part of her public persona. Her oldest son, Track, is in the Army and deployed to Iraq; her youngest, Trig Paxson Van, has Down syndrome. A few days after joining the McCain ticket, she and her husband, Todd, also disclosed that their teenage daughter was five months pregnant. They said Bristol would keep the baby and marry the father. In March 2009 Levi Johnston, the father and a former high school classmate, announced that he and Bristol mutually decided to call off the marriage.

Ms. Palin, a former local beauty queen born in Idaho and raised in Alaska, has attracted monikers ranging from "Sarah Barracuda" (for her adversarial style) to "Saint Sarah." From her support for gun rights and oil drilling to her opposition to abortion, Ms. Palin is popular with conservatives. In adding Ms. Palin to the ticket, the McCain campaign had hoped to compete for those seeking the change Mr. Obama offered and placate social conservatives while maintaining Mr. McCain's reputation for independence from G.O.P. orthodoxy.

After the election Ms. Palin returned to Alaska with a fervent following among conservatives, but high negative ratings overall, shaped in part by the controversy over the more than $300,000 that the G.O.P. spent on clothing, accessories, stylists and luggage, among other things, for Ms. Palin and her family. Alaskan officials also said Ms. Palin owed back taxes on nearly $18,000 in expenses she charged the state for living in her home outside Anchorage instead of in the state capital. She also agreed to reimburse the state nearly $7,000 for costs associated with nine trips taken by her children.

Ms. Palin, though resuming state affairs in Juneau, still speaks with a national ring in her voice. As many of her fellow governors lined up for a share of the 2009 federal stimulus package, she made it clear she would be selective. Although the State Legislature must request the funds, Ms. Palin said on March 19 she would accept only 69 percent of the estimated $930 million dollars available to Alaska because of strings attached that would bind the state in the future.

In April, Ms. Palin said she would accept most federal stimulus money after all and was expected to reject only $29 million of financing for the State Energy Program because she believed it to be tied to developing a statewide energy code.

As the legislative session drew to an end in April, Ms. Palin had pushed no major bills, and neither had state lawmakers. Many pivotal alliances between the governor and minority Democrats are obsolete, undone by mutual bitterness from the election. The rush of oil revenues that helped Ms. Palin press for big-ticket projects in the past has been replaced by a budget deficit that will require taking at least $1 billion out of state savings.

Democratic lawmakers had been crucial in the past to the governor's efforts to raise oil taxes and approve legislation promoting a natural gas pipeline, her signature achievements, yet many say Ms. Palin has abandoned those relationships, that she has become more polarizing rather than working to broaden her appeal. In turn, some Democrats have missed no opportunity to snipe back.

Ms. Palin remains a Republican star across the country and in Alaska. But her detractors at the Capitol complain that she has been distracted from state business both by continued efforts to position herself nationally and by the tabloid-tilted aspects of her new prominence, including a public spat with Mr. Johnston, as well as an active schedule of speaking events across the country.

The governor has opened a political action committee, SarahPAC. Ms. Palin, who felt maligned by media coverage of her campaign, is also writing a memoir.

HarperCollins Publishers says the book is scheduled to be released in spring of 2010. Ms. Palin declined to disclose how much she would be paid for the book. Ms. Palin, who graduated from the University of Idaho, told The Daily News that it would "be nice to put my journalism degree to work on this and get to tell my story, Alaska's story."

Reidy, keep underestimating her, but her statement today is that:

1) she will not saddle the taxpayers of Alaska with a lame duck Governor; and

2) her statement is that you can accomplish goals outside of government.

Plus she is writing a book and it puts her into a position wherein she can galvanize the conservative base and "lead" a 1994 takeover of the house and build that into the Presidency in 2012.

It is a smart move. I have no problem with it strategically.

Adam

Just for the record, I signed on.

I don't agree with several things she holds (some important), but she is competent and she has integrity. She is not a power-monger. And she falls on the right side of the sink-or-swim major critical issues of today.

For me to say that about any politician, but especially one I have only seen in the mainstream media, means a lot in my little world. She passed my BS meter.

She is also very electable.

In another context I would probably not support her, but in today's world I do. Call it a giant step in the right direction, not arrival at the destination.

Michael

Michael:

Exactly, one of my clients lived in Alaska for over a decade and worked in two of her campaigns.

I agree that the integrity issue is critical to me.

I had already communicated with folks near her as to whenever she pulled the trigger, I would be doing the same.

Adam

Here's the video of her announcement.

A lot sounds like Objectivism. If you make a fudge for her use of the word "selfless" and take that to mean serving your own vision of life based on principles, that makes her even more attractive.

<script src="http://i.cdn.turner.com/cnn/.element/js/2.0/video/evp/module.js?loc=dom&vid=/video/politics/2009/07/03/sot.palin.stepping.down.ktuu" type="text/javascript">

This thing won't embed properly and CNN has no URL to speak of for the video itself, so here is the Breitbart link:

Palin stepping down

I will try to find a YouTube video...

Michael

Here's something, but the Bretibart link is better...

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAAD-ZPH9dM

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q_FeWpqtv4

Barbara:

I thought you would "appreciate" the utter intellectual gutter that the reporter, the editor and ownership of the Grey Lady has crawled back into.

I just heard about a 16 year old young lady in Pennsylvania who was accepted to MIT and was the valedictorian of her high school class...

except that the School Board eliminated ranking students and eliminated the valedictorian and the second person (also has a title which escapes me) so as not to hurt the self esteem of the other students!

Adam

http://www.inyork.com/local/ci_12748447

Student says Central has some explaining to do (video)

ANDREW SHAW The York Dispatch

Posted: 07/03/2009 10:49:03 AM EDT

Central York High School senior Caroline Klidonas is fighting to have student rankings re-instituted after the district decided not to recognize it's valedictorian and salutorian. John Pavoncello photo

When the Central York school board next convenes July 13, several Central York students and parents are hoping they'll hear what they believe they haven't heard in recent weeks.

An explanation.

The school district has attracted attention from both local and national media outlets for its decision this year to stop honoring the top two graduating seniors in any fashion.

Central already had stopped using the titles valedictorian and salutatorian a few years ago, but still recognized the top two students at a pre-graduation awards ceremony and in the graduation program.

This year, however, Superintendent Michael Snell decided to eliminate any recognition of the top two students, instead choosing to spread academic recognition to the top 5 percent of students.

Snell's decision drew strong criticism from some students and parents wondering why students can be honored for being the top athlete or top band member, but not the top classroom performer.

Snell's explanation so far has been brief. Honoring the top two students creates "a highly competitive environment," he said when the issue first arose at the end of the school year. Snell has since declined to discuss the issue.

"I don't think that's an argument," said Caroline Klidonas, a rising senior.

At issue: Caroline, 17, and her mother, Anne Kahlbaugh, have appeared on the nationally syndicated show, "Fox and Friends," to discuss their support of naming a valedictorian with co-anchor Gretchen

Caroline had to make a formal request through the guidance office to get her class rank for her York County Junior Miss pageant application.

The rank used to be printed on report cards; students must request the information now.

Class rank -- and honoring class rank -- shouldn't be hidden, she said.

"That's a kind of slap in the face to the two who did earn it," Caroline said.

Class rank makes a difference when it comes to scholarship money, said Nancy Spataro, York College admissions director. Valedictorians can get $8,000 more than lower-ranking students.

But she said the college hasn't had a problem getting the class rank from Central York, noting the rank is included in the transcript.

The issue, she said, might be more about those students getting honored by the district.

"It's graduation recognition, rather than what the official transcript shows. It doesn't have to be stamped anywhere, 'valedictorian,'" Spataro said.

Dialogue wanted: Caroline and her mother said they would be more understanding of the decision if the superintendent and school board had a full public discussion on it, which has not yet happened, although some board members have made comments on it.

Former Central York High School parent Kim Klein also said she wants an explanation. Klein has also been interviewed by a national media outlet -- The Laura Ingraham Show radio program -- after voicing her displeasure for the past few years on Central's valedictorian stance.

"What we're really looking for is just a dialogue," Klein said. "Just talk to us. Do you have any real reason for changing this?"

Her daughter, Alyssa, had the top class rank in 2008 but was not designated valedictorian as per Central's policy.

"My child has already been denied the recognition. This year was even worse," said Klein, who no longer has children in the district.

Kahlbaugh said she plans to attend the July 13 board meeting with other parents with the hopes of getting the board to address the topic.

The school board has added the issue to the July 13 agenda, according to Julie Romig, Central spokeswoman. The district is declining to comment on the issue until then, she said.

Board president Eric Wolfgang could not be reached for comment. The policy not to use the titles valedictorian and salutatorian first was created under the tenure of retired Superintendent Linda Estep.

Dallastown Area School District also does not name a valedictorian. Superintendent Stewart Weinberg said he has worked in school districts on both sides of the issue, but prefers not comment on Central's decision.

"This should be a very local decision," Weinberg said."

I had heard this tonight on Laura's show.

Adam

At least Obama winning gave me one thing to smile about: Sarah Palin did not become the Vice-President. Thank God!

Just for the record, I signed on.

I don't agree with several things she holds (some important), but she is competent and she has integrity. She is not a power-monger. And she falls on the right side of the sink-or-swim major critical issues of today.

For me to say that about any politician, but especially one I have only seen in the mainstream media, means a lot in my little world. She passed my BS meter.

She is also very electable.

In another context I would probably not support her, but in today's world I do. Call it a giant step in the right direction, not arrival at the destination.

Michael

Agreed. Palin has some positions I can't stomach, but compared to the alternatives, she falls on the side of the "good guys" far more often.

Regards,

Bill P

Palin attorney warns press on 'defamatory material'

By JONATHAN MARTIN

July 4, 2009

Politico

From the article:

Ratcheting up her offensive against the news media, Gov. Sarah Palin’s attorney threatened Saturday to sue mainstream news organizations if they publish “defamatory” stories relating to whether Palin is under federal investigation.

In an extraordinary four-page letter, Alaska-based attorney Thomas Van Flein warns of severe consequences should speculation that until now has largely been confined to blogs about whether Palin embezzled funds in the construction of a Wasilla, Alaska, sports arena find its way into print.

Good for Palin. It's time to hit back at the organizations in the media that have become corrupted.

This concerns a silly little thing going around now in the left-wing blogoshpere that the reason Palin is stepping down as governor of Alaska is that a federal indictment is in the wings. Obviously there is nothing. The goons were all over this during the presidential election. They tried to float lies back then, but the reports were found without merit.

I see Palin's reason clearly. From the way President Obama is going, there is going to be a major shakeup in Congress in 2010. A hell of a lot of candidates are going to need strong endorsement to get elected. Palin is the Republican party's major fundraiser and rock star, but she can't hit the campaign trial hard (starting now) if she has another job. If she helps all those folks get elected, guess who is going to support her in 2012?

I am surprised at how easily people believe lies about Palin. Some people are never going to like her despite anything she may do or what her record may show. This has caused me to reflect on why there is so much fear and hatred of her.

This is what I came up with for starters. It's not just politics. Palin's national presence as a highly competent politician of integrity (her Alaskan record) with "wholesome woman and mother" stamped all over her sets the bar for achievement really, really high. People who are used to blaming the burden of raising children or unhappy marriage or things like that for their own failures and moral lapses can't stand the sight of her.

Palin's very existence to them is like a slap in the face for whining. That's embarrassing.

Michael

Michael:

"Palin's very existence to them is like a slap in the face for whining."

As well as commitment, pride and competency.

Her radically simple approach to issues as well as her ability to accomplish her goals while being a family

member, basically infuriates the "keepers of the ideal woman's image" because it includes the professional

excellence.

Her honestly and simplicity in communicating principles and solutions to problems is effective.

Adam

Michael:

"Palin's very existence to them is like a slap in the face for whining."

As well as commitment, pride and competency.

Her radically simple approach to issues as well as her ability to accomplish her goals while being a family

member, basically infuriates the "keepers of the ideal woman's image" because it includes the professional

excellence.

Her honestly and simplicity in communicating principles and solutions to problems is effective.

Adam

Adam,

If she does indeed step down then her record will show that she did not even serve one full term as governor of a state thus she would not have proven that she can govern.

That would be used against her if she throws her hat in the ring to try to get the Republican nomination for president.

It is not clear from her last fling that she has a deep enough grasp of economic facts and principles to be able to argue or discuss the fallacies in Obama's policies the consequences of which should be manifest in earnest during the next presidential campaign.

The pundits are suggesting even now that the recovery is starting to take place. However unemployment is growing, more foreclosures are imminent with resultant reduction in demand for all manner of goods and services which will cause more job losses, lowered demand for production, more layoffs and undoubtedly that will lead to more urgent government stimulation with Obama holding his foot down on the accelerator of the printing presses to make more paper currency.

I was born at the end of the last Great Depression which my parents lived through as young adults with two babies. Fortunately it was a deflationary depression and prices were low. The one already "baked in" for us will be an inflationary depression with rising prices and decreasing purchasing power of the dollar even for those who are still employed. Should be quite an experience to which I am not looking forward.

Please tell me I am incorrect in my outlook.

www.campaignforliberty.com 5 July Noon 165,606

gulch

Palin is a great danger to the libertarian movement. She is a pig-ignorant creationist nitwit, who claims that the dinosaurs and humans walked the Earth at the same time, who tried to ban "bad" books from the library in Wasilla and when the chief librarian refused, tried to fire her, and who thinks that research of fruitflies is a ridiculous waste of time and money. The problem isn't only that she is so ignorant, but that she even doesn't know how ignorant she is and that she flaunts her ignorance. Let's hope that she'll disappear into oblivion, where she belongs. With such friends you don't need enemies.

Palin is a great danger to the libertarian movement. She is a pig-ignorant creationist nitwit, who claims that the dinosaurs and humans walked the Earth at the same time, who tried to ban "bad" books from the library in Wasilla and when the chief librarian refused, tried to fire her, and who thinks that research of fruitflies is a ridiculous waste of time and money. The problem isn't only that she is so ignorant, but that she even doesn't know how ignorant she is and that she flaunts her ignorance. Let's hope that she'll disappear into oblivion, where she belongs. With such friends you don't need enemies.

Dragonfly,

I would say your comments are quite harsh but everything you say is true. Actually I think that pigs and hogs are among the most intelligent of vertebrates but I get your point. Bush was also among the more ignorant of our species. What comes to mind is an amendment to the Constitution adding a few criteria perhaps in the realm of science and economics, not to mention the meaning of the oath of office.

www.campaignforliberty.com 5July 3PM 165,638

gulch

Dragonfly,

You should check those facts and give a proper account. You sound like the leftist press.

Palin won me over when she fought to keep the bars open late even as she went to a church that preached abstinence. As a politician, she knows the importance of freedom. You can judge people by:

1. What they say,

2. What they do,

3. What others say about them.

I prefer to look at what people do. Palin's achievements speak volumes and no amount of distortion will blank that out. I, for one, intend to promote her and keep the focus on her achievements.

Michael

Sarah Palin not under FBI investigation, agency spokesman says

By Josh Meyer

July 5, 2009

Los Angeles Times

From the article:

A day after Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin resigned, a federal official in her home state dismissed one potential explanation for her sudden and unexpected resignation: a rumored FBI investigation into the former Wasilla mayor on public corruption charges.

Despite rumors of a looming controversy after the Republican governor's surprise announcement Friday that she would leave office this month, some of them published in the blogosphere, the FBI's Alaska spokesman said the bureau had no investigation into Palin for her activities as governor, as mayor or in any other capacity.

"There is absolutely no truth to those rumors that we're investigating her or getting ready to indict her," Special Agent Eric Gonzalez said in a phone interview Saturday. "It's just not true." He added that there was "no wiggle room" in his comments for any kind of inquiry.

There is only one thing to do with liars. Keep exposing the lies they spread.

People committed to the truth will see it and eventually start judging the liars as... er... liars.

btw - I have moved this to "Stumping in the Backyard" since that is what this thread is turning out to be.

Michael

Dragonfly,

I would say your comments are quite harsh but everything you say is true. Actually I think that pigs and hogs are among the most intelligent of vertebrates but I get your point. Bush was also among the more ignorant of our species. What comes to mind is an amendment to the Constitution adding a few criteria perhaps in the realm of science and economics, not to mention the meaning of the oath of office.

www.campaignforliberty.com 5July 3PM 165,638

gulch

I agree, Ron Paul is unfit for the presidency.

I'm aware that Palin got a bad rap at the beginning of her campaign with McCain, and I have to admit I fell for the Library story at first. She started to grow on me as the campaign progressed, but I still have one big question: Why are Objectivist oriented people so willing to 'fudge' (Michael's word) on the $64,000 question, namely do the conservatives acknowledge rational self-interest as the guiding light of morality or do they believe in selflessness? This isn't a small 'fudge' it's a gigantic empire state building type fudge, because the way you answer this will influence everything else. If you can confront and dismiss the socialist ethic, your commitment to individual rights grows and grows: if you don't, your commitment to individual rights tends to diminish to zero. I may find Palin an appealing personality, but so is Obama; this isn't a personality contest it is a battle of ideas and Palin is on the other side (as is Obama).

The problem isn't only that she is so ignorant, but that she even doesn't know how ignorant she is and that she flaunts her ignorance.

As I often say "It's not so much what man doesn't know that hurts him, it's what he thinks he knows that is false-to-facts that does the damage."

I don't like her either (this should be evident from my first post in this thread), but let's not devolve into infantile name-calling.

As to Miss Palin, I find it hard to take her talk of freedom seriously when she wants America to be subjugated to Christian moral standards. One does not call Pinochet a lover of freedom because he allowed Capitalism to flourish in Chile while he was busy torturing political enemies, and one should not call Miss Palin a lover of freedom, or a proponent of freedom, because she likes capitalism.

And Dragonfly, I think Miss Palin is fooling you. I highly doubt she is the ditz she portrays herself as. After listening to her speak in several contexts, I think that the plain-ol' simple soccer mom act is just that: an act. It's all too phony and calculated.

Edited by Michelle R