Atlas Society Special Edition DVD of Atlas Shrugged Part 1

Ed Hudgins

Are you under the impression that those who run the world of Objectivism get everything right and are successful in all their projects? And that therefore it's illegitimate to criticize?

Phil, I think the point was not that others get everything right and are above criticism, but that you're a shit stain. You have a long history of offering moronic criticisms about how others aren't doing things the "right way" when you don't know jack shit about what you're talking about. The point is that you don't create anything, you have no real knowledge or expertise on any subject, yet you shoot off your mouth about how others -- others who do create and who have real knowledge and expertise -- would have been more successful if they had only done what a presumptuous buffoon shit stain like you would tell them to do.

J

Edited by Jonathan

Yes, and all those 13-year-olds doubtless know with certainty (as you obviously do) that there are deleted scenes and interviews with the stars in existence that could be included. Which secondary source did you find that information in?

Having seen the film, but having no other source of information, I doubt there are any deleted scenes. I think they put everything they had in. The most you can hope for is a blooper reel.

Phil, I think the point was not that others get everything right and are above criticism, but that you're a shit stain.

Bad metaphor. Skidmarks come out in the wash, easy. Getting Phil to go away and stay away? That’s a whole other story.

1. > ['Sources'] that there are deleted scenes... [Jeffaroni]

Have you ever heard of a Hollywood movie which did not have -any- deleted scenes?

How would I know whether any Hollywood

Do you actually not understand that there are multiple "takes" of many scenes when you make a movie? Or are you under the impression that they got everything right on the first take? That there was no post-production process?

2. > ...and interviews with the stars in existence that could be included

Are you under the impression that interviews could not have been filmed before releasing the DVD? That the stars would have been unwilling to do such interviews if asked?

3. > Is there anything in the world of Objectivism that wouldn't be better if Phil did it?

Are you under the impression that those who run the world of Objectivism get everything right and are successful in all their projects? And that therefore it's illegitimate to criticize?

Your ignorance is really extremely tiresome, Phil - though perhaps not as tiresome as your inability to think logically. How would I know whether any Hollywood film has ever been released in which one version or another of every scene shot was used, so that there was nothing left over but outtakes? How would you know? And how, pray tell, do you know that any interviews were done at the time of the filming of the first part of Atlas Shrugged? Did your 13 year old friend tell you? Plenty of Hollywood films have been released on DVD with no deleted scenes and with no interviews. Is this always because the people who produced the DVD were incompetent amateurs less prepared than you would have been to do their jobs? Or could it possibly be that they know something you don't? Such as that, for whatever reason, no usable interviews were obtained or that one version or another of every scene shot ended up being used in the final edit?

You ask if I am "under the impression that those who run the world of Objectivism get everything right and are successful in all their projects? And that therefore it's illegitimate to criticize?"

Not at all. But I am under the impression that you think they never do anything right, and that if you were in charge everything would be much, much better. And I consider this view even more laughable than the one you wonder if I hold.

JR

Yes, and all those 13-year-olds doubtless know with certainty (as you obviously do) that there are deleted scenes and interviews with the stars in existence that could be included. Which secondary source did you find that information in?

Having seen the film, but having no other source of information, I doubt there are any deleted scenes. I think they put everything they had in. The most you can hope for is a blooper reel.

I think they put all the deleted scenes in and that's why it has a running time of 165 hours!

--Brant

Phil, I think the point was not that others get everything right and are above criticism, but that you're a shit stain.

Bad metaphor. Skidmarks come out in the wash, easy. Getting Phil to go away and stay away? That's a whole other story.

You'll miss him when he's gone. It's the wolf pack thing and he's a member of the OL wolf pack. He doesn't hunt all that good, but he tries, I think. When the lowliest member of the pack dies the pack mourns, for a few days. We'll miss him when he's gone so appreciate that he's here. My Mom went to hospice tonight.

--Brant

The movie was made cheaply. That suggests that the makers shot as little as they could, which in turn suggests that they didn't leave out much that would interest an audience.

Seen in an orthodox forum:

I received e-mail notification this week, of the movie's release on DVD, in 4 different editions. Here are the comments I posted on Facebook, exactly as I wrote them while reading through the descriptions:

The badly flawed ATLAS SHRUGGED - PART I movie is scheduled for release on DVD this Nov. 8. Four different versions are planned, each containing the same movie footage but varying in the extras offered:

(1) for the truly sick and twisted who hate Ayn Rand, there is the so-called "Reason" edition, featuring comments by Nathaniel Branden, a former associate of hers who got the boot for massive (and self-admitted) dishonesty;

(2) for the ethically challenged who hate integrity and want to have their cake and eat it too, there's the "Atlas Society" edition, featuring comments by David Kelley, a man who wants to water down Miss Rand's philosophy to make it kinder and gentler enough to tolerate even Marxists;

(3) for the poor philistines who don't see or care about the difference between good writing and bad, there's the "Special Edition" featuring comments from the incompetent screenwriter, as well as the producer and director; and

(4) there's a "Freedomworks" edition released in conjunction with Freedomworks, a Tea Party organization that helped promote the movie and of whom I know nothing negative.

I would rather die than order (1) or (2). I still believe the screenwriter should be horsewhipped for discarding Miss Rand's eloquent words for his own; so I shall not order (3). In spite of my reservations about the movie's major flaws, I did enjoy everything in it that they DIDN'T change -- so I shall probably order (4), when the time comes.

DAMN THE FILTHY BASTARDS -- I just scrolled down and saw they DARE to offer comments on version (1) by Barbara Branden -- the foul-souled Lilian Rearden wannabe who's made a sick, pathetic career out of slandering Miss Rand! She hates Ayn Rand the way Hitler hated Jews. THAT CROSSES THE LINE. There is no way, now, I can be willing to deal with such people.

I will WAIT until used copies show up on Ebay, and buy then.

I believe NO ONE who values Miss Rand or her work can forgive the way they are insulting her.

Having seen the film, but having no other source of information, I doubt there are any deleted scenes. I think they put everything they had in.

What exactly is meant by "deleted" scenes here? "Delete" suggests removing something that had been there before, but maybe the critics complaining over "deleted" scenes in the film meant "omitted" scenes from the novel which they think "ought to" have been in the film?

Edited by Xray

The badly flawed ATLAS SHRUGGED - PART I movie is scheduled for release on DVD this Nov. 8. Four different versions are planned, each containing the same movie footage but varying in the extras offered:

(1) for the truly sick and twisted who hate Ayn Rand,

(2) for the ethically challenged who hate integrity and want to have their cake and eat it too,

(3) for the poor philistines who don't see or care about the difference between good writing and bad,

(4) there's a "Freedomworks" edition released in conjunction with Freedomworks, a Tea Party organization that helped promote the movie and of whom I know nothing negative.

I would rather die than order (1) or (2). I still believe the screenwriter should be horsewhipped for discarding Miss Rand's eloquent words for his own;

DAMN THE FILTHY BASTARDS -- I just scrolled down and saw they DARE to offer comments on version (1) by Barbara Branden -- the foul-souled Lilian Rearden wannabe She hates Ayn Rand the way Hitler hated Jews.

Good Lord!

This creature is the poster child of why folks are alienated from Ayn's ideas.

NBI had to many of these types of creatures. They even dressed and looked precisely like him.

What a sad, sad person.

His internal venom spews forth from every word whether capitalized or not.

Thanks for reminding me why the closed Objectivist advocates are like the Shakers and will pass from the universe, not because they foreswore sexual intercourse for procreation, but because they will find no one who would be foolish enough to breed with them.

Adam

You'll miss him when he's gone. It's the wolf pack thing and he's a member of the OL wolf pack. He doesn't hunt all that good, but he tries, I think.

“His whole attitude recalled irresistibly to the mind that of some assiduous hound who will persist in laying a dead rat on the drawing-room carpet, though repeatedly apprised by word and gesture that the market for same is sluggish or even non-existent.”

P.G. Wodehouse, The Code of the Woosters

What exactly is meant by "deleted" scenes here?

The term “deleted” as used in DVD’s nowadays refers to this kind of thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqocT1slhwA&feature=relatedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POD8-_VVtf8&feature=related

You'll miss him when he's gone. It's the wolf pack thing and he's a member of the OL wolf pack. He doesn't hunt all that good, but he tries, I think.

“His whole attitude recalled irresistibly to the mind that of some assiduous hound who will persist in laying a dead rat on the drawing-room carpet, though repeatedly apprised by word and gesture that the market for same is sluggish or even non-existent.”

P.G. Wodehouse, The Code of the Woosters

The real problem here is the hypocrisy. Has Phil no shame? I mean look at this:

I will never post on your site again. I would prefer not to have anything further to do with you or to communicate with you again. Quite frankly, your weakness and double standards disgust me.

Then he just pops back in, no apology, no explanation (“sorry fellas, needed to get my spleen drained”), something! Since we’re doing animal metaphors, here’s a real favorite, this should be Phil’s next swansong. It has what might be the most memorable stage direction in all the Bard’s work.

ANTIGONUS

Weep I cannot,

But my heart bleeds; and most accursed am I

To be by oath enjoined to this. Farewell!

The day frowns more and more. Thou’rt like to have

A lullaby too rough. I never saw

The heavens so dim by day. A savage clamor!

Well may I get aboard! This is the chase.

I am gone for ever.

Exit, pursued by a bear.

William Shakespeare, The Winter’s Tale, Act 3, Scene 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALSk83KAkR8

You were mistaken, though not about our intelligence, rather about the extent of our knowledge of why other people buy things. You see, we can't read minds, Steve and I, smart though we undeniably are, so we don't really know for sure why other people buy things (beyond the obvious stuff that you can learn from praxeology - but I needn't mention what you can learn from praxeology, you've read Human Action and Man, Economy, & State I'm sure, so you know all that). We simply lack your astonishing depth of knowledge of sales and marketing. Can you name some of the secondary sources you skimmed to attain it, so some of the rest of us can add to our learning?

Or was your method maybe a purely deductive one, like the praxeologists'? You know, something along these lines:

DVD "A" was purchased by many people

DVD "A" has certain kinds of special features on it.

Therefore the people who bought DVD "A" bought it for those special features.

JR

JR:

http://praxeology.net/

Capsule Credo:

The libertarians are right about economics and politics.

The Greek philosophers are right about everything else.

A tad overstated, but it looks like an interesting site.

Adam

Has Phil no shame?

I normally agree with you on the Phil file, but it occurs to me that the problem might be a Blind Spot In The Mind. If you have read about or experienced anosognosia, you will see what I mean.

On the other hand, who wants to get drawn into an embarrassing discussion of one's gaping inconsistencies?

Has Phil no shame?

I normally agree with you on the Phil file, but it occurs to me that the problem might be a Blind Spot In The Mind. If you have read about or experienced anosognosia, you will see what I mean.

On the other hand, who wants to get drawn into an embarrassing discussion of one's gaping inconsistencies?

Anosognosia:

...is a condition in which a person who suffers
disability
seems unaware of the existence of his or her disability. Unlike denial, which is a defense mechanism, anosognosia is rooted in physiology (for example, damage to the frontal or parietal lobe due to illness and disease). This may include unawareness of quite dramatic impairments, such as
blindness
or
paralysis
. It was first named by the
neurologist
Joseph Babinski
in 1914,
[1]
although relatively little has been discovered about the cause of the condition since its initial identification. The word comes from the Greek words
"nosos"
disease and
"gnosis"
knowledge (an- / a- is a negative prefix).

Wiki link here

Although largely used to describe unawareness of impairment after brain injury or stroke, the term 'anosognosia' is occasionally used to describe the lack of insight shown by some people who suffer from a mental illness such as bipolar disorder or
psychosis
. They do not have the insight to recognize that they suffer from a mental illness. There is evidence that schizophrenic anosognosia may be the result of frontal lobe damage.
[7]

(1) for the truly sick and twisted who hate Ayn Rand,

(2) for the ethically challenged who hate integrity and want to have their cake and eat it too,

(3) for the poor philistines who don't see or care about the difference between good writing and bad,

I would rather die than order (1) or (2). I still believe the screenwriter should be horsewhipped for discarding Miss Rand's eloquent words for his own;

DAMN THE FILTHY BASTARDS -- I just scrolled down and saw they DARE to offer comments on version (1) by Barbara Branden -- the foul-souled Lilian Rearden wannabe She hates Ayn Rand the way Hitler hated Jews.

Good Lord!

NBI had to many of these types of creatures. They even dressed and looked precisely like him.

What a sad, sad person.

His internal venom spews forth from every word whether capitalized or not.

Thanks for reminding me why the closed Objectivist advocates are like the Shakers and will pass from the universe, not because they foreswore sexual intercourse for procreation, but because they will find no one who would be foolish enough to breed with them.

Adam

Well said, Adam. These fanatic closed system sectarians are downright scary.

Good Lord!

Yeah, but this guy (Bucko) has been around forever. I can't believe there are very many like him.

Has Phil no shame?

Anosognosia:

disability
seems unaware of the existence of his or her disability.

Sounds like Magnimus Oblivious Phallicitis, commonly known as Little Donny Disease.

Anosognosia:

disability
seems unaware of the existence of his or her disability. Unlike denial, which is a defense mechanism, anosognosia is rooted in physiology (for example, damage to the frontal or parietal lobe due to illness and disease). This may include unawareness of quite dramatic impairments, such as
blindness
or
paralysis
. It was first named by the
neurologist
Joseph Babinski
in 1914,
[1]
although relatively little has been discovered about the cause of the condition since its initial identification. The word comes from the Greek words
"nosos"
disease and
"gnosis"
knowledge (an- / a- is a negative prefix).

Wiki link here

Although largely used to describe unawareness of impairment after brain injury or stroke, the term 'anosognosia' is occasionally used to describe the lack of insight shown by some people who suffer from a mental illness such as bipolar disorder or
psychosis
. They do not have the insight to recognize that they suffer from a mental illness. There is evidence that schizophrenic anosognosia may be the result of frontal lobe damage.
[7]

Adam,

So by definition if you think you have some of this ano-thingy, you don't?

Thank God for that!

Tony

(Was getting worried there...)

Has Phil no shame?

We could test Phil for anosognosia:

Phil,

Below are two statements which represent two different ways of commenting on a subject. One represents the way that a normal person would phrase the statement, and the other represents the way that a shit stain/schoolmarm would phrase it. Can you tell which is which?

Version 1: "Personally, I'd be more likely to buy the product if it included features A, B and C, and excluded features X, Y and Z."

Version 2: "If the people who are trying to sell the product were professionals with experience in producing, marketing and selling products, they would include features A, B and C, and exclude feature X, Y and Z."

J