Atlas Shrugged: The Making of a Movie! In NYC, 12/7/2010!

Ed Hudgins

Hans Christian Anderson wrote a story about me. It is entitled -The Emperor and His New Clothes-. I was, I am and I will be as long as I live, the little boy of that story.

And here I thought you were the protagonist of The Dog in the Manger...

310px-Dog_in_the_manger.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hans Christian Anderson wrote a story about me. It is entitled -The Emperor and His New Clothes-. I was, I am and I will be as long as I live, the little boy of that story.

And here I thought you were the protagonist of The Dog in the Manger...

310px-Dog_in_the_manger.jpg

And just what have I held to prevent others from having it?

Ba'al Chatzaf

And just what have I held to prevent others from having it?

You’re misreading the fable. Note “those who spitefully prevent others from having something that they themselves have no use for”. Applied here, it means you’re a buzzkill. It’s not a matter of property, you don’t own James’s or Ted’s right to look forward to the film, nor does the dog own the hay in the manger.

Now hopefully you and Ted can make up:

You remind me here, Dennis, of one of the vicious little brats who stand around screaming, "fight! fight!" when classmates come to blows - regardless of the reason. I have said all that I wanted - but you can go on provoking Bob if you think that's fun.

You remind me here, Dennis, of one of the vicious little brats who stand around screaming, "fight! fight!" when classmates come to blows - regardless of the reason. I have said all that I wanted - but you can go on provoking Bob if you think that's fun.

I was defending my reference to the fable. It didn’t take much. From there to connecting your tabby cat avatar to the Bob as distempered dog simile was but a step. If I thought of a case where K-9 bit The Doctor or something better I’d have used that instead. BTW, do they really have tabby cats on Arrakis?

I was defending my reference to the fable. It didn’t take much. From there to connecting your tabby cat avatar to the Bob as distempered dog simile was but a step. If I thought of a case where K-9 bit The Doctor or something better I’d have used that instead. BTW, do they really have tabby cats on Arrakis?

Lets hope they don't do to AS what they did to Dune when they filmed it. Which was, to take a basically simple story and make it incomprehensible, inaudible & invisible. A disaster of the first rank...though there was some humour to be had from the spice worms.

Lets hope they don't do to AS what they did to Dune when they filmed it. Which was, to take a basically simple story and make it incomprehensible, inaudible & invisible. A disaster of the first rank...though there was some humour to be had from the spice worms.

Or worse still, what Peter Jackson did to the -Lord of the Rings- trilogy. He had a zillion dollar budget and he still turned out an abomination.

I suspect the same thing will happen with the -Atlas Shrugged- movie.

Which is why I questioned the other poster on why he thought the movie was a good thing. It might turn out to be a disaster, from an artistic and literary point of view. My hunch is that -Atlas Shrugged- is too complicated and textured to be made into a reasonable motion picture.

By the way, the T.V. mini-series for Dune was much better than the De Laurentis motion picture, which was simply dreadful.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Guys:

The first Dune with Sting was horrendous.

The second Dune was reasonably true to the book.

Adam

MSK, J.H. Nelson, Selene, PDS, et al. – Thanks for the congrats! But they should be directed to John Aglialoro.

Our event is not only a preview of the movie and behind-the-scenes look at it but a celebration of what John has done. He has been trying for some 17 years to make this movie. Most of you know some of the stories about the seeking good scripts, getting studios or stars that came close to production but backed out. So in April 2010, John decided to take time from running his business, go out to Hollywood, and pull this movie together in time to get the principal photography started before his option on the movie rights ran out in early June. And he did it!

John is a Randian hero come to life! I congratulate and thank him!

MSK, J.H. Nelson, Selene, PDS, et al. – Thanks for the congrats! But they should be directed to John Aglialoro.

Our event is not only a preview of the movie and behind-the-scenes look at it but a celebration of what John has done. He has been trying for some 17 years to make this movie. Most of you know some of the stories about the seeking good scripts, getting studios [or stars that came close to production but backed out. So in April 2010, John decided to take time from running his business, go out to Hollywood, and pull this movie together in time to get the principal photography started before his option on the movie rights ran out in early June. And he did it!

“A number of stars have expressed serious interest in playing the lead role of Taggart. Angelina Jolie previously had been reported as a candidate to play the strong female character, but the list is growing and now includes Charlize Theron, Julia Roberts and Anne Hathaway.”

Well Ed…I can remember reading press releases like the above and having a good chuckle. Angelina Jolie indeed!

In reality none of these actresses have signed up for the movie or were even considering it. As if one of them showed so much as a flicker of interest in starring in this movie the producers would not have dared mention the names of any other actress. As in the real world that would probably upset the actress so much she would decline to star in it.

Though if anybody has any proof that any of the above named actresses were serious about starring in this movie lets see it then!

In reality none of these actresses have signed up for the movie or were even considering it. As if one of them showed so much as a flicker of interest in starring in this movie the producers would not have dared mention the names of any other actress. As in the real world that would probably upset the actress so much she would decline to star in it.

Though if anybody has any proof that any of the above named actresses were serious about starring in this movie lets see it then!

Kimmler,

Angelina Jolie participated in some meetings with Howard Baldwin and other producers to discuss Atlas Shrugged, if I remember him correctly from the Atlas 50th anniversary celebration in Washington DC. And Michael Burns (a moneyman from Lionsgate) was sitting right in front of him when he talked about it.

That's a good start.

Here's another--a part of an interview she gave with MTV in 2008:

... one of those people is Angelina Jolie. Regarding the long in development project "Atlas Shrugged," which has been in some form of creative flux for over 35 years, Jolie didn't hesitate to call it a "once in a lifetime" project. And this is coming from a woman who has won one Oscar, and probably should have been nominated for at least one more. To put it more simply, she makes good films.

"['Atlas Shrugged'] is one of those, I think, once-in-a-lifetime films that you feel, 'If I only do a few more in my lifetime, that has to be one of them,'" she insisted.

Jolie has been confirmed to play the role of Dagny Taggart, the protagonist of the novel through whose eyes we see the battle between John Galt, striking leader of the intellectual upper class, and the "looters and the moochers."

You do get silly. But I suggest you do your own homework. That way you will avoid embarrassing yourself.

But if you know for a fact Angelina Jolie wasn't interested, what is your own evidence, given the amount of press on it over months? I would love to see what you've got. I don't ever recall her denying it.

Michael

Ed Hudgins wrote: "Michael - Thanks for making the important distinction between informed, thoughtful opinion and lazy, uninformed opinion that does nothing to enlighten anyone about anything."

All the evidence suggests that, unfortunately, Kimmler's main purpose on the board is to be obnoxious for the sake of being obnoxious.

Our event is not only a preview of the movie and behind-the-scenes look at it but a celebration of what John has done. He has been trying for some 17 years to make this movie. Most of you know some of the stories about the seeking good scripts, getting studios or stars that came close to production but backed out. So in April 2010, John decided to take time from running his business, go out to Hollywood, and pull this movie together in time to get the principal photography started before his option on the movie rights ran out in early June. And he did it!

Thank him for what? For throwing together a quickie version of Atlas Shrugged (or one-third of it) on a 5 week shooting schedule in order to extend his control over the property? That falls a bit short of my notion of the Randian hero.

If Agliolaro has a quality product to display for potential investors, you might think he would be willing to show more than ten minutes of it.

How are we supposed to congratulate someone for an achievement when we are not even going to be allowed to see the alleged achievement?

Thank him for what? For throwing together a quickie version of Atlas Shrugged (or one-third of it) on a 5 week shooting schedule in order to extend his control over the property? That falls a bit short of my notion of the Randian hero.

here here! I was put off from making exactly the same comment due to the pooh-poohing I received earlier in this thread. On the strenght of this film, John seems more of a Toohey or a Peter Keating.

If Agliolaro has a quality product to display for potential investors, you might think he would be willing to show more than ten minutes of it.

How are we supposed to congratulate someone for an achievement when we are not even going to be allowed to see the alleged achievement?

Are you guys kidding?

Nobody is applauding the quality of the movie yet. This project has been in limbo for decades over irrational BS. The applause is for someone actually cutting through all that BS and getting it done on a professional market level.

If the movie is lacking, I have no doubt other versions will follow. But at least the trail will have been opened and a movie version will be part of the movie cultural landscape.

This criticism of applause sounds like bashing those who applaud Daniel Boone by saying he (possibly) did not build skyscrapers when he opened trails in the wilderness on horseback.

Michael

Are you guys kidding?

Nobody is applauding the quality of the movie yet. This project has been in limbo for decades over irrational BS. The applause is for someone actually cutting through all that BS and getting it done on a professional market level.

If the movie is lacking, I have no doubt other versions will follow. But at least the trail will have been opened and a movie version will be part of the movie cultural landscape.

This criticism of applause sounds like bashing those who applaud Daniel Boone by saying he (possibly) did not build skyscrapers when he opened trails in the wilderness on horseback.

Michael

By that reckoning we should all be thanking Travolta for Battlefied Earth.

I heard Battlefied Earth was a good movie production-wise, but a lousy story. I haven't seen it, though.

Michael

The story was bad, L.R. Hubbard's writing is bad and the John Travolata production was embarrassing to everyone involved and the people who purchased a ticket were screwed.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Are you guys kidding?

Michael

MSK – Some folks strive to achieve. Others sit on the sidelines bitching and nay-saying. Don't waste too many neurons on the latter.

Cheers!

Ed

Are you guys kidding?

Michael

MSK – Some folks strive to achieve. Others sit on the sidelines bitching and nay-saying. Don't waste too many neurons on the latter.

Cheers!

Ed

No kidding.

Not only bitching and nay-saying, but doing so for all the world to see...

I look forward hopefully to the film release of Atlas. I will be happy if it is (1) true to the vision/spirit of the novel, (2) a good story, and (3) a good production. Anything more (such as energizing the movement) is gravy, and anything less is failure, IMO.

REB

I haven't been following this as closely as some. Has the movie found a distributor?

Yes, come on Ed, tell us. Has John, the Randian hero, found a distributor yet?

If so, which one? How many theatres do you expect the film to open to or is it a straight to DVD production?

MSK - Battlefield Earth was hilarious. Not quite a so-bad-its-good laugh fest but at times Travolta appears to be doing an Oliver Hardy impression. A very bad impression. The other actors are obviously just there for the money and boy do they let us know it. But what really rankled was the reverence they held the book in.

Roger - as for being faithful, well just remember that Hollywood is to its source what moonshine is to real liquor.