PETA on eating eggs

BaalChatzaf

Here is what PETA has to say about eating eggs.

http://www.peta.org/features/would-you-eat-a-chickens-period.aspx

Yuccch! I am going yuccch! at PETA, not at eggs.

Ba'al Chatzaf

I am definitely against animal cruelty, but not farming and killing animals for food.

I don't think I like PETA: I would prefer if consumers could punish animal cruelty with market pressure instead of legal (when, after all, these farming practices are voluntarily funded by customers who do not care or do not care to know). Animals cannot have rights, but they certainly don't deserve cruelty.

I am definitely against animal cruelty, but not farming and killing animals for food.

I don't think I like PETA: I would prefer if consumers could punish animal cruelty with market pressure instead of legal (when, after all, these farming practices are voluntarily funded by customers who do not care or do not care to know). Animals cannot have rights, but they certainly don't deserve cruelty.

I believe Barbara Branden once suggested that people, who sell animals as pets, should have the buyer sign a contract prohibiting animal cruelty. In this way, animals sold under such a contract would have a "legal right" to be treated well. I thought it was a good idea.

Also, why do animals deserve to be treated well? I'm not saying this to be an ass; I'm sincerely curious.

I believe Barbara Branden once suggested that people, who sell animals as pets, should have the buyer sign a contract prohibiting animal cruelty. In this way, animals sold under such a contract would have a "legal right" to be treated well. I thought it was a good idea.

Also, why do animals deserve to be treated well? I'm not saying this to be an ass; I'm sincerely curious.

Animals appear to be able to feel pain. Just as we can feel pain. We do not like to be put in pain on a mere whim or a cruel impulse and by extension we extend our feelings on the matter to some animals (we are not to scrupulous about rats and mice). We tend to be nice to pets who do not bite us and appear to be grateful for the food we give them.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Animals appear to be able to feel pain. Just as we can feel pain. We do not like to be put in pain on a mere whim or a cruel impulse and by extension we extend our feelings on the matter to some animals (we are not to scrupulous about rats and mice). We tend to be nice to pets who do not bite us and appear to be grateful for the food we give them.

Ba'al Chatzaf

So the capacity to feel pain is a claim to be treated well?

So the capacity to feel pain is a claim to be treated well?

No, but it might be a reason why some people are nice to animals that don't bite them and seem grateful to be fed by humans.

Ba'al Chatzaf

If animals deserve to be treated well, someone should tell the animals.

It has nothing to do with "deserving". It has to do with avoiding actions that make one feel uncomfortable.

Ba'al Chatzaf

• 4 weeks later...

When I read PETA asking me not to eat X, it makes me want to eat X more.

Today, I ate Foie Gras and I love eating it.

Foie Gras is illegal in California because of sanctimonious hippies like PETA.

But back onto topic, when PETA tells me not to eat eggs, I start wanting to eat Eggs Benedict. Yummy.

Throw rotten eggs a PETA. Then the yolk will be on them.

Baal, I hope for your family's sake that you cook better than you pun!

eggsactly.

Why does PETA discriminate against the eggs of other species except the chicken? They do not address the outrage of caviar consumption, which is a veritable genocide of the innocent sturgeon!

Because Sturgeons aren't cute.

PETA only care about the kinds of animals which are common in children's fables or things like that. Extra points if they're endearingly cute. Sure, they may technically advocate all animals being liberated but most of them are emotionally driven and fixated on cute fluffy animals which they tend to anthropomorphize in their own minds.

And marketing-wise it is easier to use animals like that than use animals like sturgeons.

That is right. Nobody cares if a rat's mother is killed by a human (rats have beady eyes we we hate them). Everyone gets teary over the killing of Bambi's mother by some evil hunter. Bambi has big brown eyes and in his pre-adult phase, he had a cute face that only Disney could make lovable.

Do female PETA members refuse cunniliqual love making?

Inquiring perverts need to know...

Kyle,

That is actually a difficult question to answer and one to which I think Objectivists should pay more attention. More specifically, the question should be, "Do animals have a right to be treated humanely?" I'm not going to try to answer the question right now, but here are a couple of things to consider. First, if someone doesn't have a right to do something, that means that other people have the right to stop him. So, the question could be worded, "Does a person have a right to anything he wants to an animal, even if it is needlessly cruel and inhumane?"

I think this falls under a wider class of questions. As Objectivists, we are usually concerned about the right of people to engage in productive activity since productive activity is our means of survival. But, what about the right of people to engage in random, non-productive and potentially destructive activities? Of course, if a person is destroying someone else's property, Objectivism has very clear ideas about that. But, what if someone just decided to destroy something in nature for no good reason? What if he decided to burn down a forest that wasn't owned? What if he decided to poison all the ducks on the lake? What if he decided to destroy a particularly striking stone arch? Etc. Does Objectivism have something to say about such activities?

Darrell

Do female PETA members refuse cunniliqual love making?

Inquiring perverts need to know...

Not if they're post-menopausal so you're in luck!

EDIT: Sorry, Adam, I couldn't resist.

Darrell:

Not a problem...

My statement to women is that menopause is a place where I look at them, and pause, and then possess them with my eyes and hopefully the rest of me...

So far, it has worked famously.

A...

• 2 months later...

Jeez Adam, are you related to Joffrey Lupul\/

And I thought I had a lot of cousins...

Grrrrrr , you gotta always talk about my Flyers !!!!!!! And we fired our coach today after 3 games ???????

Ed Snider is an Objectivist remember! He does not have to answer to freakin anybody. Good thing because this action is totally incomprehensible to the entire hockey world including me. If you have been following the TO sportsmedia they all think it sucks.Maybe it is a complex contract thing. But no way does the coach deserve this, I call it unsportsmanlike conduct in spades.