More Hockey - Fake ID 2011

caroljane

WonderfulThe year our men's team lost and our women's team won, there was a great cartoon of the the Leafs desperate (what else) coach exhorting his team to get out on the ice and "play like girls!"

My son's current girfiriend is the right winger on his hockey team. She is a part time model, semipro hockey player and has two jobs Eat your hearts out Americans.

You let your son date right wingers?

I am broadminded. I allowed my other son to marry a blonde.

You did the right thing. If parking in the handicapped zone means that much to him, you shouldn’t stand in his way.

• 2 months later...

Neuro Fractured Losers.

If you check out the latest sports edition of the Onion, you will see that God has issued a press release in which he explains that He did not design the human body to play football.

Yes, the headline does say something about God's design and the unsuitability of the human body for football.

(Ice hockey, as all civilized people know, is the only professional sport in North America that condones bashing an opposing player’s brains out.)

The concussion tragedy (it is too important to term an "issue") is a dreadful stain on hockey and the Jurassic decision makers of the NHL are increasingly having to pay attention to it. Everyone has opinions on how to reduce the risk but some of them, such as rink size, would cost serious money even if everybody could agree, so I am not hopeful anything effective will take place soon.

Speaking of dreadful stains, now that it has come to light that certain NFL teams allow their players to offer bounties to teammates who seriously injure opposing players--i.e., knock them out of the game, preferably for the season--I feel the need to retract my previous indictment of pro hockey for condoning fighting, I wonder if they added an extra bonus to the bounty if the injured player was permanently paralyzed.

Except perhaps for child rapist Jerry Sandusky,I cannot conceive of more contemptible behavior in all of professional sports.The players and coaches involved should be criminally prosecuted. I used to like The New Orleans Saints, mainly because of quarterback Drew Brees.

They're swine. They disgust me.

Speaking of dreadful stains, now that it has come to light that certain NFL teams allow their players to offer bounties to teammates who seriously injure opposing players--i.e., knock them out of the game, preferably for the season--I feel the need to retract my previous indictment of pro hockey for condoning fighting, I wonder if they added an extra bonus to the bounty if the injured player was permanently paralyzed.

Except perhaps for child rapist Jerry Sandusky,I cannot conceive of more contemptible behavior in all of professional sports.The players and coaches involved should be criminally prosecuted. I used to like The New Orleans Saints, mainly because of quarterback Drew Brees.

Dennis, this is horrible. I know how you feel. Now that it looks like the greatest player in hockey is finished at the age of 25 due to a head hit, the only thing that would make it worse for a fan would be to think that the hit was "just business" for the other team.

The players and coaches involved should be criminally prosecuted.

Dennis:

A two part approach should be taken.

The Commissioner should suspend the players, coaches and other personnel involved for one year without pay. If it can be established conclusively that the ownership was involved, that penalty should be extended to them also.

A criminal prosecution should be considered by either 1) the local District Attorney; and, or, 2) the local Federal Attorney General.

Sad, stupid and senseless acts which have no place in the game and will taint the game for years to come.

Adam

On the other hand of this sadness, there was a beautiful story in the Toronto Star yesterday, about a hockey team in Israel (Yes, Israel, who knew?) where Israeli and Arab kids play together, on a rink built by a Canadian philanthropist. The team is coming to Canada to tour, and I hope I can get to see them.

Carol:

Did Toronto fire it's manager/coach?

Adam

Daunce and Adam,

Bill Plashke in today’s Los Angeles Times:

A league investigation showed that, under the leadership of defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and with the knowledge of Coach Sean Payton and General Manager Mickey Loomis, the Saints were paid money for jeopardizing lives.

The league said that between 22 and 27 players participated in a pool of as much as $50,000 that paid out money for game-ending injuries. If you knocked a player out, you were paid $1,500. If you inflicted an injury that caused a player to be carted off the field — a "cart-off," it was sickeningly called — you were paid $1,000. The bounties doubled or tripled during the playoffs.

And, yes, two of the players targeted in the program were Brett Favre and Kurt Warner.

The final known year of the program was their 2009 Super Bowl championship season.

This is not some assistant coach tripping a kick returner; this is an entire group of defensive players officially encouraged to threaten an opponent's life.

Already, folks are connecting the dots, beginning with the resurrection of an old Washington Post interview with former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy in which he claimed Peyton Manning's neck problems began with a brutal head hit from two Washington Redskins in 2006.

The Redskins defensive coordinator at the time? Who else? Gregg Williams. This means we now know that three of the NFL's greatest quarterbacks may have had their lives changed by the Bounty Baron, and surely we'll soon learn about more.

I thought my suggestion that players were given an extra bonus for injuries resulting in paralysis was surely an exaggeration. Obviously not. Imagine a defensive lineman grinning as he is handed a check for $1000 for putting an opposing player in a wheel-chair after a “cart-off.”

Plashke describes this behavior as “potentially criminal,” but stops short of advocating criminal prosecution. His proposed remedies are restricted to suspensions and probation. But if it can be shown, via taped re-play, that players hit opposing players in the head or spine when this was clearly not necessary to take the player down—and was subsequently paid for it-- that player belongs behind bars.

I’m sure we could find film showing Saints’ coaches and players applauding in apparent sympathy as a quarterback, running back or wide receiver is carted off the field during the years Gregg Williams served as defensive coordinator—while knowing that the Saints’ player who delivered the hit will be rewarded for his vicious, deliberate savagery. Makes you wonder how some people can face themselves in the mirror the next morning.

Listen to all the macho a-holes on radio and TV talk shows claiming that this is just part of the game. "Boys will be boys." What vile crap! Nobody is criticizing players who accidentally cause injury during a clean hit. Football is a violent game. It is the deliberate, needless targeting of a defenseless player’s head, neck or spine for the obvious purpose of inflicting serious injury that is egregious. If such acts can be clearly proven via film—and a reward was given—the people responsible should be permanently banned from the game.

After they are released from prison.

Dennis:

Agreed.

The Eight Men Out principle by Commissioner Kenesaw Mountain Landis, the first Commissioner of Baseball from 1920 until his death. He is remembered for his handling of the Black Sox scandal, in which he expelled eight members of the Chicago White Sox from organized baseball for conspiring to lose the 1919 World Series and repeatedly refused their reinstatement requests. His firm actions and iron rule over baseball in the near quarter-century of his commissionership are generally credited with restoring public confidence in the game.

220px-Landis_portrait-restored.png

Nasty looking son of a bitch!

Criminal investigations should be in process right now.

Adam

Carol:

Did Toronto fire it's manager/coach?

Adam

The manager fired his bff the coach. It's the manager who should go too. Instead of the best choice(Eckstein), he hired as replacement Randy Carlyle, whom the players hate.

PS did you check out the Israel story above? It's a heart lifter.

• 2 months later...

Emile, mon ami,

I am proud Quebecois in Florida wit motel, I trow rats for Panteres. But now no Canadian or Florida team is in playoffs, for o do I ope? Duel in Desert winner is easy. Coyotes were proud Manitoba Jets until sold down de river.River all dried up now. Now still most Canadian players. But NY and NJ, I see no difference. Please aidez-moi Emile, I need to educate tourists and explain to say TV in restaurant only receives CBC.

Mille remerciements

Maurice R. Vineault

It is not suffisant, to be a freelancer,syndicated in backwaters, now you must put me in dead topic ? Restore me to my proper place or my fans will be aux armes. Soil will be watered , blood involved,, need I say more?

Affronte.

Emile