Note from Administrator: The information in this thread is for the old domain and/or phpp forum software. It is no longer valid for the present program (Invision Power Board).

Anyone else having problems with the color-coded new posts notification. I've been checking all day, thinking things were just quiet, and I happened to notice activity with todays date, but the colors never went to orange.

Jody,

I have seen that problem myself. I've been fishing around on the help forum at phpbb.com for over an hour, but I can't find an answer. There are around 8,500 pages of posts for Q&A and the search function doesn't work. Dayaamm!!

Sooooo, lets try a workaround. On the upper right of your screen you have some options to try.

View posts since last visit

View your posts

View unanswered posts

You should be able to view posts since last visit even when the orange thingys are misbehaving. Also, scan down the right side to see the last posting date and person posting on each thread to get an idea of where the action is.

Kat

One possible problem is the AOL browser. People who use AOL seem to be the ones who have the most problems.

The solution is use another browser like Internet Explorer or Mozilla. Kat wrote the following to another member who was having trouble posting:

I am still trying to figure out what is going on, but I would recommend going through IE or Netscape rather than AOL when you are going to OL.  I'm not sure what the problem is but I was browsing the help docs yesterday and there seems to be issues because AOL changes IP numbers during a session and it messes with the cookies, session ID and whatnot that the program uses to identify the poster.

Barbara just let me know that she now uses Safari and that the "yellow thingies" have started showing up again (I would like to take the credit, but that technical jargon is all hers).

(ducking)

:D

Michael

Oh, sure, Michael, blame AOL. Everybody likes to kick AOL. :-)

I've had NO problems with AOL for years, not since the huge growing pains they had about 8-10 years ago.

Of course, AOL could have something to do with the fact that Windows XP on my desktop has been corrupted and has to be recovered or reinstalled, because I'm getting so many crashes and error messages for "hardward failure" that are not explained by hard drive or other hardware problems. <sigh> I'm hoping to get it fixed later today, so I can stop having to do email and internet on this laptop. (It's my thinking and creating machine; the desktop is my communicating machine.)

REB

Barbara:

Ellen: "The orange thingys only show if you're logged on."

It's "thingies," not "thingys". Check the Oxford English Dictionary.

Right, probably (I didn't check OED; just assuming, from the "logical" pattern of English, that indeed it should be "ie").

Besides, I rarely log in, and they're working for me now. . . most of the time.

Well...they always work for me, when I log in, never when I don't. Haven't a clue as to the reason. But, speaking of thing/y/ie/s the use of which I don't understand: How is one supposed to get the emoticons to work? Clicking never works for me (maybe because of my having an outdated browser). The wink one is the only one I can get -- by typing ;, then -, then close-paren. But I can't get the others to work even if I type code.

Ellen

___

Ellen: "Right, probably (I didn't check OED."

Ellen, I was joking! Which is why we need emoticons -- which I can't get to work for me either.

Hilarious. Barbara, I was joking, too -- and knew that you'd been joking. Which is why my thoughts turned next to the problem of not being able to get the emoticons to work.

Ellen

___