Two out of three ain't bad

caroljane

"I don't want her, you can have her, she's too fat for me"

-"Too Fat Polka" (Trad.) as interpreted by the immortal Walter Oscanek

"If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

so from a personal point of view , get an ugly girl to marry you"

-(it was the 60's, who remembers who sang it?)

"You're beautiful, and I will never be with you"

James Blunt, who was with her, her, and her.

Is there a moral or psychoepistomoligical consensus in Objectivist thinking on such matters?

Discuss quietly amongst yourselves, or complete your assignments.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, never make a pretty woman your wife.

O Ninth, you are my strength and stay. The Coasters of course, I have always so loved that happy, silly,exuberant song. It's kind of Objectivist in a way isn't is? " Don't let your friends say you have no taste, go ahead and marry her anyway.

Carol

not even that ugly actually

Just listened again. Especially love how "your life" rises in the reprise.

You seem to have worked some Time Lord science on my computer since I can now see all the videos you post right through, no more whirlies. I know you can't tell me how you do it because then you would have to kill me.

It's kind of Objectivist in a way isn't is? " Don't let your friends say you have no taste, go ahead and marry her anyway.

I suppose it's subject to different interpretations, but I think it's more thematically consonant with Epicurus than Rand. Epicurus teaches you to enjoy life, but to a large extent that's done by avoiding suffering. Rand would have you always straining yourself to achieve greater values, and if that means putting up with the many downsides of having a pretty woman for your wife, well so be it! Do you think Roark would put up with Dominique if she weren't a looker?

I know you can't tell me how you do it because then you would have to kill me.

It's a trick I learned 6 incarnations back. Just reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!

Now, if you tell anyone the secret, expect a visit from a squad of Daleks.

It's kind of Objectivist in a way isn't is? " Don't let your friends say you have no taste, go ahead and marry her anyway.

I suppose it's subject to different interpretations, but I think it's more thematically consonant with Epicurus than Rand. Epicurus teaches you to enjoy life, but to a large extent that's done by avoiding suffering. Rand would have you always straining yourself to achieve greater values, and if that means putting up with the many downsides of having a pretty woman for your wife, well so be it! Do you think Roark would put up with Dominique if she weren't a looker?

I know you can't tell me how you do it because then you would have to kill me.

It's a trick I learned 6 incarnations back. Just reverse the polarity of the neutron flow!

Now, if you tell anyone the secret, expect a visit from a squad of Daleks.

No, no, of course I would never tell. Um. some of us were saying that as much as we love Ranting Screaming Doctor avatar, , we;; we were feeling nostalgic, and maybe some kinder gentler doctors could soothe our nerves (we all miss the braw wee doggie)..just mentioning...

No to be threatening or anything, but I met my new grandson Callum recently. ( Son of Stu with the great Tardis whirlaway painting, and the bookend Tardis in the living room) Callum is small but mighty. he fits snugly into the living room Tardis. sleeping there peacefully until his next incarnation or until nighttime when he awakes and sings until morn, his poor parents are exhausted.)

He will be the 13th. Doctor. Civiliation can advance no further than thus.

Um. some of us were saying that as much as we love Ranting Screaming Doctor avatar, , we;; we were feeling nostalgic, and maybe some kinder gentler doctors could soothe our nerves (we all miss the braw wee doggie)..just mentioning...

When I first joined OL, this was my avatar. I kept it for over a year, I think. Peter Taylor signed on and started complaining about it, he said it lacked benevolence, if I recall rightly. So I kept it even longer. Then, finally, I switched it, I think to Rowan Atkinson as the Ninth Doctor. Then at some point Phil complained he was being chased by a wolf pack, so I switched to a schnauzer. Jonathan switched about the same time to some other breed of dog. Now Phil’s gone, then recently Peter made some dumb comment about the old avatar, so now it’s back. And it’s staying till I’m good and ready to switch it. I like it, dammit!

whonotwho-7.jpg

PS You can still see the doggie on OO. I was meaning to switch it there too, but I haven't gotten round to doing it.

Um. some of us were saying that as much as we love Ranting Screaming Doctor avatar, , we;; we were feeling nostalgic, and maybe some kinder gentler doctors could soothe our nerves (we all miss the braw wee doggie)..just mentioning...

When I first joined OL, this was my avatar. I kept it for over a year, I think. Peter Taylor signed on and started complaining about it, he said it lacked benevolence, if I recall rightly. So I kept it even longer. Then, finally, I switched it, I think to Rowan Atkinson as the Ninth Doctor. Then at some point Phil complained he was being chased by a wolf pack, so I switched to a schnauzer. Jonathan switched about the same time to some other breed of dog. Now Phil’s gone, then recently Peter made some dumb comment about the old avatar, so now it’s back. And it’s staying till I’m good and ready to switch it. I like it, dammit!

whonotwho-7.jpg

You are quite right dear. I have had a few complaints about my facing leftward and altruistic looking clothing, plus a few kinky inquiries about what is under the petticoats, but I have held firm to my avatar choice Still, I wouldn't mind seeing Tom Bell at some future time *he was such a good actor, was he in a Taste of Honey?) if your principles would allow you.

Sure you don't mean Tom Baker? You've lost me.

tombaker_76.jpg

Sure you don't mean Tom Baker? You've lost me.

tombaker_76.jpg

Yes, I did mean Baker, I lost myself.confusing Baker, Bell, Courtenay..such great british Toms, and so few worthy to be the Doctor. They do all look a bit alike.

whonotwho-7.jpg

PS You can still see the doggie on OO. I was meaning to switch it there too, but I haven't gotten round to doing it.

I like the thoughtful intelligent Doctor much better than the screaming nincompoop. Why would anyone listen to that neurotic nag Taylor anyway? Not that avatar's matter much...

A woman's weight, her relative ugliness vs beauty, etc.--these are all superficial aspects of a given woman's appeal. They should not be regarded as essential criteria for choosing a partner.

As long as she has big tits, these other factors tend to become unimportant.

A woman's weight, her relative ugliness vs beauty, etc.--these are all superficial aspects of a given woman's appeal. They should not be regarded as essential criteria for choosing a partner.

Once again Hard science bears out the philosophical conclusions of foremost empiricists such as Ninth and myself. Thanks, Doc.

Once again Hard science bears out the philosophical conclusions of foremost empiricists such as Ninth and myself. Thanks, Doc.

Folks:

It is much more than standing up at attention to Hard science...it is much more than that...it is hard wired in the jeans genes:

Folks:

It is much more than standing up at attention to Hard science...it is much more than that...it is hard wired in the jeans genes:

That was totally HI-larious and absolutely true. I especially liked the great tribute from that obviously well-brought-up young man to his mother for giving him those 18 months of very sustenance. Obviously this video was shot in Canada.

Why, do women have different teats in Canada? Remember, I am an ass man so what do I know about teats?

Why, do women have different teats in Canada? Remember, I am an ass man so what do I know about teats?

lol. This did make me think, though, about the obsession young women appear to have about their own breasts now, which really was not there when I was young. Really. My friends and I would talk, of course, and some were big and some small, and each thought being the other was better, or at least more comfortable. One of our friends, a real beauty, had a reduction later because her breasts were just too heavy for her frame and caused actual pain.

Unless Ellen or Angela notice this thread, or (shudder) Janet, I guess only the men can give insight (intellectual insight, Adam! not up-skirt), but really, maybe I never met real Alpha males or whatever in my single days, but the attitude of the guys who got to see our breasts were, they were breasts, and therefore beautiful. Now there seems to be a scale, bigger is better, look at that poor Triple-D girl. Do men really want breasts to be that big?

I have to abstain. I am on record as thinking that American men have a real "issue" with breasts. A fetish? A fixation?

I have to abstain. I am on record as thinking that American men have a real "issue" with breasts. A fetish? A fixation?

"Not that there;s anything wrong with that?"??

When did you start abstaining? How is your lady enjoying abstention? This is another unexplored topic that I know a lot about being a Respectable Widow, and in the distant past a frequent circumstantial abstainer, the circumstances being that nobody wanted to go out with me.

"Not that there;s anything wrong with that?"??

When did you start abstaining? How is your lady enjoying abstention? This is another unexplored topic that I know a lot about being a Respectable Widow, and in the distant past a frequent circumstantial abstainer, the circumstances being that nobody wanted to go out with me.

I knew as I hit post that I left an opening...oh well at least under the O'biwan dictatorship it is easier to get a condom than a job. So when you stop abstaining you can at least not stain the blue dress [oops wrong President] enjoy your de-abstaining coming out party.

I now call up Sally from the depths of memory, but I do not remember her troubadour. She was a good old girl and carried your books to school, and as I recall got a Cinderella reward.

Ninth? I'll pay you back on Tuesday, honest, it;s payday.