Six Things Greg Needs To Stop Saying

Serapis Bey

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Selene, I don't mind getting under your skin. In fact, it entertains me. But know that it's all in good fun. I don't know how you perceive me, but I'm just a guy who's trying to live out his life leaving the world better than he found it. And I think that everything we do touches everything else.

Selene, I don't mind getting under your skin. In fact, it entertains me. But know that it's all in good fun. I don't know how you perceive me, but I'm just a guy who's trying to live out his life leaving the world better than he found it. And I think that everything we do touches everything else.

And we differ in this approach how?

It's a mental impossibility to read someone regularly and to not understand something of his premises. And why should one pretend otherwise?

Indeed. But Kacy seems to believe that you are not justified in having such an understanding if your interlocutor tells you differently.

According to him, what an individual verbalizes about himself is the final word, and any contradictions or ulterior motives you detect are "arbitrary", and thereby null and void. You have been plainly TOLD what your interlocutor believes, you see. Basic human respect for the other person demands that you cease and desist your line of thinking, otherwise unpleasant consequences will ensue. Snuff that spark of thought in your soul, MICROAGGRESSOR.

This is probably due to his being steeped in the atheist/skeptic community, whose zeal for attacking "pseudoscience" and enforcing Right Thinking has grown to the point where having basic human intuition and social sense is an affront against "reason." This strikes me as profoundly regressive and counterproductive.

http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Inquisition-Robert-Wilson/dp/1561840025

Look what they did to Rupert Sheldrake (ya feel me, Mike?)

I swear, if Objectivism/Skepticism doesn't attract autists, it certainly creates them.

Oh shit. Did I just tell Kacy what he is thinking? Forgive me Father for I have sinned...

That site is reprehensible and I'd recommend her security team take it seriously as well.

There is no excuse, no defense, no justification for something like that.

Kacy,

Here, let me go right back at you.

Assassination threats against Barack Obama (Wikipedia)

Secret Service Exhausted by Massive Number of Death Threats Against President Obama

This is from a very, very odd blog, but the guy did some grunt work in search.

There is no excuse for any of this.

None.

The people who do this crap are disgusting.

Michael

Sarcasm is buffered anger. Using it casually and frequently is the high (low?) end of passive-aggressive. The more you use it the cheaper it is.

--Brant

I agree. Are you suggesting I have used sarcasm excessively?

No. I don't read most of your stuff; I tend to avoid the long posts, especially those that evaluate another poster like Kacy. I have no idea if you've ever used it even once. Talking about sarcasm here just got me going. I tend to be oblivious to it unless I actually hear it. I do wonder if I myself have sometimes used it unknowingly.

--Brant

not my thing

That site is reprehensible and I'd recommend her security team take it seriously as well.

There is no excuse, no defense, no justification for something like that.

Kacy,

Here, let me go right back at you.

Assassination threats against Barack Obama (Wikipedia)

Secret Service Exhausted by Massive Number of Death Threats Against President Obama

This is from a very, very odd blog, but the guy did some grunt work in search.

There is no excuse for any of this.

None.

The people who do this crap are disgusting.

Michael

Assassination is a Bad Thing, not to be undertaken lightly. It is an act of desperation and despair. It is a cure that, in most cases, is worse than the disease. As much as I detest the Obamanation, I wish him to complete his term alive and well, then disappear from sight, much that same as Dubya has.

History is a guide here. In France they decapitated their monarch and in due course they ended up decapitating each other. I think they called that unfortunate era The Terror.

Ba'al Chatzaf

http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/12/health/affluenza-youth/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

While I was visiting my wife at the superwealthy household I described earlier, their 17-year-old son answered the door to find a pizza delivery man standing before him. The boy took the pizzas and closed the door behind him. My wife took him aside later and explained that somebody has to PAY for the pizzas that appear at the residence.

• 4 months later...

While I was visiting my wife at the superwealthy household I described earlier, their 17-year-old son answered the door to find a pizza delivery man standing before him. The boy took the pizzas and closed the door behind him. My wife took him aside later and explained that somebody has to PAY for the pizzas that appear at the residence.

You cannot be serious. :huh:

The poster quoted in the post above will not be responding.

But then, that was the whole point of quoting him.

The intention is to try to stir up trouble, not discuss ideas.

Michael

I want to try that.

--Brant

change of pace (willing to learn)

You cannot be serious. :huh:

I don't even find this anecdote to be implausible, from what I've seen of kids who've had everything handed to them in life. Since he's in DC he probably hails from the political class, so there's a good chance he's got a future in spending other people's (i.e. taxpayers) money. However, hopefully, "from shirtsleeves to shirtsleeves in three generations" is to be the applicable proverb.

The poster quoted in the post above will not be responding.

I met Dan (Robert Baratheon) for dinner a few months back, with Eric (Serapis Bey), who I've known for decades. I thought he was a good guy, though I know he ticked off some people on OL, so take it for what its worth.

You mean nothing?

Touché. But really, what it's like is how a few people here, yourself included, have met Phil in person and attest what a good guy he is. Fine, I'm sure he is, at least I like to think so. But online he's unbearable, just scan the garbage pile for plenty of instances.

I met Dan (Robert Baratheon) for dinner a few months back, with Eric (Serapis Bey), who I've known for decades. I thought he was a good guy, though I know he ticked off some people on OL, so take it for what its worth.

I see Dan has started a blog. He's been posting on OO and put a link there. I figure I broke bread with the guy (ok, actually they were tortilla chips) so what the hell:

http://thenewversailles.wordpress.com/