The most important lesson from 83,000 brain scans | Daniel Amen

jts

Don't look at the mind, look at the brain says Dr. Daniel Amen. Makes sense to me if it's a hardware wetware problem and not a software bad premises problem. He gets a thumbs down from quackwatch. Normal shrinks never look at the brain.

Don't look at the mind, look at the brain says Dr. Daniel Amen. Makes sense to me if it's a hardware wetware problem and not a software bad premises problem. He gets a thumbs down from quackwatch. Normal shrinks never look at the brain.

The Mind Body "problem" makes as much sense as the Stomach Digestion Problem.

And it started with with Freud, a neo-Kantian.

Oh Doktor Freud, Herr Doktor Freud

How we wish you had been differently empolyed!

Instead of neurosis, you could have cured sclerosis

Oh what a shame Herr Doktor Freud...

Nice little poem.

Are there any Freudian limericks? There was a Doctor Freud from Nantucket . . .

There was a young hermit named Dave...

Who kept a dead whore in a cave...

He said, "I have to admit, I'm a bit of a shit...

But look at the money I save!

I like Dr. Amen.

I have several books by him and have seen him talk on video quite a bit.

He might be forcing the interpretation of brain scans a bit at times, but in general, his approach is sound.

What's more, he does a marketing mastermind with Joe Polish. If you know the systems, you can see it all over Dr. Amen's approach, starting with education-based marketing.

Joe Polish is extremely Objectivism-friendly. So I imagine Dr. Amen is, too.

Michael

I have long been a fan of a site called CrazyMeds whose admins are big supporters of Dr Amen and his approach. They are pro-medical-intervention for mental illness, without accepting that the categories outlined in the DSM are necessarily scientifically sound.

Gratifying to see someone else say this. It is the same analogy I use all the time in philosophy of mind classes.

"Mental illness" is a metaphor for a condition, supposed or not. Illnesses have both signs and symptoms. Conditions mostly have only symptoms. Adult onset diabetes is both an illness and condition but is only treated as a condition for it cannot be cured or reversed once the body becomes dependent on insulin injections shutting down the biological production of insulin within the body.

--Brant

do I only seem to know what I am talking about?--could be

I have long been a fan of a site called CrazyMeds whose admins are big supporters of Dr Amen and his approach. They are pro-medical-intervention for mental illness, without accepting that the categories outlined in the DSM are necessarily scientifically sound.

Gratifying to see someone else say this. It is the same analogy I use all the time in philosophy of mind classes.

What type of bird is that in your Avatar PB?

Yep, every once in a while, one of the dead rises again...seems to happen a lot on Easter weekend.

Happy Passover Bob...

10647084_10152696187275443_8854155146792

A...

Applause, Applause. No wonder the Shrinks hate him. He has exposed their racket.

It's a black-capped chickadee. There are lots around here and I think they're very sweet. (Pic is from Flickr, though -- source link in my profile.)

RB:

Welcome to OL, my apology for overreacting to your appearance.

However, I am fiercely protective of OL, since it is the only place I have found that I desire to post on.

I am guessing you are from Canada as the Black Capped is in that range.

A bird almost universally considered “cute” thanks to its oversized round head, tiny body, and curiosity about everything, including humans. The chickadee’s black cap and bib; white cheeks; gray back, wings, and tail; and whitish underside with buffy sides are distinctive. Its habit of investigating people and everything else in its home territory, and quickness to discover bird feeders, make it one of the first birds most people learn.

Excellent advice on seeing other warblers when you hear the Black Capped since they travel in mixed flocks:

Within their range, Black-capped chickadees are easily seen at many feeding stations, and in virtually any area with trees. They are often heard before they’re seen. They’re frequently attracted to investigate birders making pishing sounds. Once you’ve learned this bird’s calls, listen for them and then look for the flocks they travel in. Warblers and other migrating songbirds associate with chickadees, and by looking through the chickadees you’re more likely to find these other species as well.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-capped_Chickadee/sounds <<<<great site for birders and anyone who is interested reality.

If you are interested in birds, we have a fellow Canadian who takes majestic pictures of birds as well as other species in his nature photography.

It's a black-capped chickadee. There are lots around here and I think they're very sweet. (Pic is from Flickr, though -- source link in my profile.)

RB:

Welcome to OL, my apology for overreacting to your appearance.

However, I am fiercely protective of OL, since it is the only place I have found that I desire to post on.

I am guessing you are from Canada as the Black Capped is in that range.

A bird almost universally considered “cute” thanks to its oversized round head, tiny body, and curiosity about everything, including humans. The chickadee’s black cap and bib; white cheeks; gray back, wings, and tail; and whitish underside with buffy sides are distinctive. Its habit of investigating people and everything else in its home territory, and quickness to discover bird feeders, make it one of the first birds most people learn.

Excellent advice on seeing other warblers when you hear the Black Capped since they travel in mixed flocks:

Within their range, Black-capped chickadees are easily seen at many feeding stations, and in virtually any area with trees. They are often heard before they’re seen. They’re frequently attracted to investigate birders making pishing sounds. Once you’ve learned this bird’s calls, listen for them and then look for the flocks they travel in. Warblers and other migrating songbirds associate with chickadees, and by looking through the chickadees you’re more likely to find these other species as well.

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-capped_Chickadee/sounds <<<<great site for birders and anyone who is interested reality.

If you are interested in birds, we have a fellow Canadian who takes majestic pictures of birds as well as other species in his nature photography.

Yeah. First he kills the birds, then he poses them. Then he eats them.

--Brant

just like Autobone did

--Brant

just like Autobone did

And they're crunchy!

The feathers are annoying...

If I could figure out how to reverse engineer them, I could have a Pterodactyl as a pet...

Archaeopteryx, shown here in an artist's rendering, is believed to be the world's earliest bird and a descendant of the dinosaurs. The crow-sized creature lived about 150 million years ago. Some scientists believed it soared down from tree tops with the aid of four limbs covered in winglike feathers. Archaeopteryx's feathers and birdlike wishbone — along with reptilian features such as a long bony tail, claws and teeth — are seen as strong evidence that birds evolved from dinosaurs.

Click on the "Next" button to learn about eight more scientific links in the transition from dinosaurs to birds.

— John Roach, msnbc.com contributor

060922_archaeopteryx_02.grid-4x2.jpg

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/28985201/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/nine-links-transition-dinosaurs-birds/#.VSB7BeEghrQ

A...

Applause, Applause. No wonder the Shrinks hate him. He has exposed their racket.

Dr. Daniel Amen is a quack. He is not approved by quackwatch.

Speaking just for myself, I don't give a rat's ass whether a doctor is officially a quack. What matters to me how well his patients do. Any doctor whose patients don't get well is a quack according to me, no matter what letters he has after his name and no matter how much approval he has in his profession.

--Brant

just like Autobone did

And they're crunchy!

The feathers are annoying...

If I could figure out how to reverse engineer them, I could have a Pterodactyl as a pet...

Archaeopteryx

Wow. Is there anything Jules won't do to photograph a bird?

--Brant

Wow. Is there anything Jules won't do to photograph a bird?

--Brant

Nice to see you can still hit a fast ball out! baseball-bat-on-fire-smiley-emoticon.gif

Was that you who took that picture Adam? I liked your montage for the Triceritops too.

I waive consecutive translation Peter...