View the Atlas Shrugged Movie Trailer Today!

Ed Hudgins

Now that is truly inspired improvisation! I bet George has other ideas for scenes that would definitely guarantee that the movie-goer will be thinking about this movie long after he leaves the theater.

How could anyone think longer about that movie after they leave the theater, than they have been thinking about it before it was even made? 50 more years?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that is truly inspired improvisation! I bet George has other ideas for scenes that would definitely guarantee that the movie-goer will be thinking about this movie long after he leaves the theater.

How could anyone think longer about that movie after they leave the theater, than they have been thinking about it before it was even made? 50 more years?

Well, now that you bring up the subject of "another 50 years," in an earlier post on the seemingly endless saga of on-again, off-again production attempts to bring Atlas Shrugged to the screen, I had imagined a News Agency post, datelined October 2057, in which the hundred year-long struggle to bring the novel to the screen finally reached fruition in a Virtual Reality production, coinciding with the hundred year anniversary of the novel. Premiering at Terra Planitia. On Mars.

And, since we haven't yet seen how the current effort will turn out,...don't bet against 2057 date.

Well, now that you bring up the subject of "another 50 years," in an earlier post on the seemingly endless saga of on-again, off-again production attempts to bring Atlas Shrugged to the screen, I had imagined a News Agency post, datelined October 2057, in which the hundred year-long struggle to bring the novel to the screen finally reached fruition in a Virtual Reality production, coinciding with the hundred year anniversary of the novel. Premiering at Terra Planitia. On Mars.

And, since we haven't yet seen how the current effort will turn out,...don't bet against 2057 date.

Truthfully guys - aren't you scared it will be like getting engaged at 18, and married at 68?

Good one George:

The distinctive voice, even when he was young. One of my favorite performances of his was as Dr. Einstein in Arsenic and Old Lace:

[video deleted[

My favorite Peter Lorre role is Joel Cairo in "The Maltese Falcon."

"You imbecile, you bloated idiot, you stupid fathead...." Lorre would have felt at home on OL. :lol:

(Embedding has been disabled on this video, so you will need to click on the link for YouTube.)

Ghs

Didn't Aaron Russo, the libertarian producer of "Trading Places" and other films, once express a serious interest in doing a movie version of Atlas?

Around 20 years ago I got a phone call from one of Russo's assistants. He said that Russo was considering producing a film about Thomas Jefferson and that I had been recommended as someone who knew a lot about Jefferson. Russo therefore thought that I might have some ideas for the film.

My first reaction was to see a flashing dollar sign for money that might come my way as a technical adviser, so I asked for more information. The assistant told me that this was to be a time travel movie in which Jefferson was transported to modern day New York City. I was asked if I had any thoughts about what Jefferson would think of contemporary America and how he would react.

At this point the dollar sign stopped flashing, but I resisted the temptation to say what I really thought. I told the assistant that I would like to think the matter over and that he should call me back in a few days. Well, he did call me back, and I rattled off some notes that I had taken. My ideas were pretty good, considering the dumbass premise. I was profusely thanked and told that Russo would be in touch with me again if the project went anywhere. I didn't expect anything to happen after this, and I was right, of course.

Ghs

Addendum: When Jimmy Wales first announced his plans for Wikipedia on Old Atlantis, I wrote a post or two explaining why his idea would never work. Since I have a poor track record in such matters, I might have been wrong about a time travel movie with Thomas Jefferson. It might have been a smash hit, especially if Eddie Murphy played Jefferson. :rolleyes:

Didn't Aaron Russo, the libertarian producer of "Trading Places" and other films, once express a serious interest in doing a movie version of Atlas?

Around 20 years ago I got a phone call from one of Russo's assistants. He said that Russo was considering producing a film about Thomas Jefferson and that I had been recommended as someone who knew a lot about Jefferson. Russo therefore thought that I might have some ideas for the film.

My first reaction was to see a flashing dollar sign for money that might come my way as a technical adviser, so I asked for more information. The assistant told me that this was to be a time travel movie in which Jefferson was transported to modern day New York City. I was asked if I had any thoughts about what Jefferson would think of contemporary America and how he would react.

At this point the dollar sign stopped flashing, but I resisted the temptation to say what I really thought. I told the assistant that I would like to think the matter over and that he should call me back in a few days. Well, he did call me back, and I rattled off some notes that I had taken. My ideas were pretty good, considering the dumbass premise. I was profusely thanked and told that Russo would be in touch with me again if the project went anywhere. I didn't expect anything to happen after this, and I was right, of course.

Ghs

Addendum: When Jimmy Wales first announced his plans for Wikipedia on Old Atlantis, I wrote a post or two explaining why his idea would never work. Since I have a poor track record in such matters, I might have been wrong about a time travel movie with Thomas Jefferson. It might have been a smash hit, especially if Eddie Murphy played Jefferson. :rolleyes:

I don't know whether Aaron Russo was one of the myriad attempts to bring Atlas to the screen. I am surprised that someone hasn't collected the details on all these attempts and created a book out of it. There have been some articles that have pointed out that there have been many previous attempts, but I don't think that anyone has chronicled in detail just how many producers, actors, writers, and companies have tried. Maybe such a book could carry an ironically apt title, such as "Sisyphus Shrugged."

Now, of course, it looks like a movie is actually going to be released. If Aglialoro has managed to pull this off, and has created a worthy effort, given the very brief time span that it was in production, and with its comparatively minuscule budget, then Congress should appoint him and his team to get this country out of its fiscal and budgetary crisis.

Of course, that won't happen. Congress is relying on our current "Mr. Thompson" clone to save us.

Catching up with inbox's odds, ends

By Franklin Harris

For the TimesDaily

Published: Thursday, February 24, 2011 at 3:30 a.m.

Last Modified: Wednesday, February 23, 2011 at 9:14 p.m. I'm going to catch up this week with some odds and ends from my inbox.

First, the trailer for "Atlas Shrugged: Part 1," adapting the first third of Ayn Rand's bestselling novel, hit the Internet a couple of weeks ago. That was a surprise to those of us who thought the movie might never be released.

With a budget of just $5 million and a cast of TV actors — some very good, but none household names — "Atlas Shrugged: Part 1" looked like a movie rushed into production just so the producer could retain the film rights, which were to expire the week cameras rolled.

Whether or not that was entirely the case, we now have a movie, and it's not going straight into a vault to gather dust.

Based on preview trailer, "Atlas Shrugged" doesn't look as cheap as I'd feared, but it still looks more like a TV movie than a big-screen epic. And by focusing on scenes in which characters talk about steel mills and railroads, the trailer is not going to appeal to anyone who isn't familiar with Rand's story, which pits heroic entrepreneurs against big government.

You can see the trailer for yourself at atlasshruggedpart1.com. The movie is scheduled for limited release on, appropriately, April 15.

Based on preview trailer, "Atlas Shrugged" doesn't look as cheap as I'd feared

Get a Sneak Peek of Atlas Shrugged, the Movie, at the ISFLC

By offering a sneak peek of Atlas Shrugged, the movie! Atlas Shrugged has finally been turned into a movie (technically, a trilogy with the first movie following the first section of the book). While it won’t be in theaters until April 15th, the producers are excited to give SFL’ers a sneak peek at approximately 15 minutes of footage, and we’re excited to show it! If you have not yet registered for the ISFLC from February 18-20 at George Washington University in Washington DC, make sure to do it now by clicking here.

Oh well - missed this one!