Happy Birthday, Deanna

syrakusos

Hey Deanna,

I won't wish you many happy returns, because you will have them anyway. Your fifty will be "the new thirty" and so on.

I mind back when I was 41, I considered myself middle-aged, (which I had considered myself since I was 19 anyway, another story).

Now I am working on being "the new 90" and I have to tell you, it feels pretty darned good.

I just realized that in the course of inflicting my stream of consciousness upon an innocent readership, as is my usual practice, I have resorted to hijacking somebody else's birthday for my purpose.

Happy birthday, Deanna.

I am not fishing for compliments here, If my excessive posting gave more annoyance or boredom than entertainment, I would know it , and not just because said readership would tell me.

But as jts, who occasionally says something sensible (obvious, but sensible) remarked on addictive behaviour, we are infinitely capable of self-deception .

I won't revive a painful name, but there was an ex-OLer who once dominated the board, mostly with material he plagiarized from others. In his not-an-apology apology farewell speech, he bragged that he had been "a great topic starter."

He was Canadian, too.

Thanks everyone, but you seem to have me (32 and holding) mistaken with a 41-year-old. I forgive you.

(Back when I was 28 and holding, my then 5-year-old was stricken with the knowledge that he was going to have to stay 5 forever. There were many tears shed. That's when I became 32. He's old enough now to realize that he can continue to age happily, so 32 I stay.)

• 2 years later...

Looks like we forgot to wish you Happy Birthday in 2013 and 2014!

So, 2013 graphics-happy-birthday-670186.gif

2014 graphics-happy-birthday-736455.gif

graphics-happy-birthday-842202.gif

I was momentarily overjoyed to see Carol back with us because I miss her, but then I realized those were old posts. And then I freaking realized that this freaking post that mistakenly (cough, cough) reports my freaking age will be around for-freaking-ever. Two reasons for a sad face.

Oh well, I spent my day at the spa and am happy to report that I am holding at 28. 32. Er, 34?

Anyway, thanks everyone!