Welcome

Kat

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its been a whole year :smile:

Congratulations...

I don't think OL gives out any pins like some other "programs" do.

I know I never got one.

A...

• 2 weeks later...

Its been a whole year :smile:

Allow me to refuse to let it be two:

Hello, people of OL! I'm a 19-year-old, first-year college student at the University of Tulsa, studying Chemical Engineering. I'm ashamed to say that a lot of my life, I have been a shut-in, and feel as if there's not a lot to fill in the "interests" category with. But there are for sure a few things:

I've always loved running, and the emotional effect it can have. I've never done it regularly though, and I'm starting to do it now, because this place is really, really peaceful at night, and it's beyond perfect for a going for a run. (Also, I think some of it has to do with the fact that my roommate is rather buff... Puts me to shame and makes me want to do *some* form of exercise.. Which I admit is probably "second-handed.")

I also adore the French Horn and piano. I've played the former since the second semester of 6th grade, when our inability to pay for my rent-to-own trumpet forced the company to confiscate it, and thereby me to switch. In retrospect, I'm far better off for it.

I'm also a rabid fan of camping, in general. I used to think it was a love of nature, or some such, and perhaps it partially is, but I've found that what I really enjoy is the solitude of it, and the ability to "live in the moment" that I seem to have only "out there."

My story regarding O'ism is pretty standard: Moody teenager reads Atlas Shrugged, becomes Randroid. I found this site because of my Logic class. We started discussing this whole existential import thing, and it confused the tar out of me. I thought something was funky about it. So naturally, I Googled it. Google gave me more funkiness, so my Randroid self attached Objectivism to the search terms... Enter OL. :)

I've been reading some stuff here for the past few months, and I think the view of Objectivism here is much better than what I had before. I know it's subjective, but I feel much healthier, intellectually, because of it. So I just want to thank everyone here for their awesomeness. (That is, the ones I've seen so far.)

I'm not sure if I'll post much else, but I figured I should stop being an anonymous lurker. Perhaps I'll find some interesting people to talk to, which I have yet to accomplish since moving here this August. :)

Welcome, David. Glad you let us know you're reading here.

Hope you continue to have interest in chemical engineering. That's an excellent asset for employment. I'm from Oklahoma, attended OU, and always heard good things about TU in chemical and petroleum engineering.

Delighted to hear you are taking a course in logic. The first-course level is so useful.

"A shovel of stars for keeps" -Sandburg

Hello friends

I'm Derek.

Artist - derekofbaltimore.com, First time Author (just last month). Atlas Shrugged and Fountainhead fan. I have them on audio book and listened to them while I painted. Also it was Atlas Shrugged that inspired me to write my book. Agnostic when concerning a (general) creator, atheist when concerning the specific Christian faith that is taught today. Brimming with questions and curiosity as too how Mrs Rand's system would hold up in the real world. Trekkie and general sci-fi fan. Reader before watcher. Lastly (and I think this is most important as it will color my topics or responses on this forum) not a supporter of capitalism but a supporter of Freedom.

Are capitalism and freedom not one and the same?

J

No. Before the missionaries and the brits came, Hawaiians were free and non-capitalistic.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Delighted to hear you are taking a course in logic. The first-course level is so useful.

"A shovel of stars for keeps" -Sandburg

So far it seems that way. It's also the only interesting course I'm taking at the moment, unfortunately. I find myself procrastinating from doing my boring Chem I homework in favor of unnecessary reading on logic, a lot of which doesn't even pertain to the course. >.<

"Free" from what? "Non-capitalistic" means free from freedom.

--Brant

And isn't this just the negation of freedom?

Are capitalism and freedom not one and the same?

J

No. Before the missionaries and the brits came, Hawaiians were free and non-capitalistic.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Bob:

Any source on that claim?

A...