Greetings from Manhattan

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn, I was only twelve (12) and we lived about fourteen (14) blocks from Queens College.

"1958 Begins teaching fiction writing class (January 18) Presents first campus talk, at Queens College (March 6)"

A...

Never knew this either...

The free downloadable PDF document ["Radicals for Capitalism: Ayn Rand and Youth During the 1960's"] linked here:

http://escholarship.org/uc/item/4tb298wq#page-1

Contains:

"Indeed, despite all her aversion to modern academia, Rand recognized that a key way to
promote her teachings among young people would be through traditional educational channels. In
March 1958, she delivered her first speech, “The Twentieth Century Revolt Against Reason,” at
Queens College, proclaiming that “all of you under the age of 25 are victims of a bankrupt
intellectual tradition.”73 Pleased with her warm reception, Rand confessed to the school newspaper
that she now “[wished] to address every college in the country.” Thus, in February 1960, Rand spoke
at Yale University on “Faith and Force: Destroyers of the Modern World.”"

This "talk" may have been somewhat modified and given a different title. It's hard to believe she gave it once and tossed it.

--Brant

I agree Brant. It sounds as though it might be an earlier version of "The Intellectual Bankruptcy of our Age" addressed specifically to undergrads. Still, would love to know more from someone who's heard it or has a recording.

This "talk" may have been somewhat modified and given a different title. It's hard to believe she gave it once and tossed it.

--Brant

I agree Brant. It sounds as though it might be an earlier version of "The Intellectual Bankruptcy of our Age" addressed specifically to undergrads. Still, would love to know more from someone who's heard it or has a recording.

It sounds like without a substantial confirmation it may never have happened.

I cannot recall even the title of her address at the Bronx Community College I attended in the fall of 1970.

--Brant