Enter the Dean

deanwins

Hello. My name is Dean Gores. Nice to meet you all. I was feeling neglected and thought maybe I could invite myself to your house and see if you might let me snuggle.

Thanks,

Dean

(If you don't know me, know that I am known to many who post here... So this is somewhat an inside joke.)

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now here's another personality I didn't expect to see here.

I'm surprised, but not unpleasantly surprised because snuggling is involved.

I'm surprised, but not unpleasantly surprised because snuggling is involved.

Film at eleven [11]...

Dean & Wife’s Wedding Ceremony

Minister: Love is a feeling that sprouts from the recognition of our deepest values. Marriage is an enduring relationship between two people who love each other. In light of this, we have gathered here today to witness and celebrate a new marriage between Dean and Wife.

Minister: Dean and Wife believe marriage includes:
- A stable loving relationship, where honesty and loyalty build trust and honor.
- Someone to think about for daily comforts, someone who's thinking about you too.
- A partner with interest in your wellbeing, encouraging a healthy lifestyle.
- Teamwork for your family's success.
- Having someone that appreciates the little things you do.
- The creation of a rich environment for children to grow.
- A shoulder to cry on, an ear to listen to you. Warm arms to snuggle into.
- A partner in life, an opponent in games.

Minister: Dean and Wife have prepared personal wedding vows that they would like to share with you.

Minister: Dean, please share your vows.
Dean: You are the most beautiful, smart, genuine, and accomplishing person I have ever known. I promise to:
- plan and work for our life long success
- be open and honest with you
- respect your individuality
- provide you security
- support our goals
- and appreciate your accomplishments
- as a father I will live a virtuous life by example, a hero
I will play with our children like I'm still their age
I affirm my love for you, and I offer you to be my wife.
Minister: (Insert one sentence comment on Dean's vows if you like.) Wife, please share your vows.

Wife: Dean, you are the most intelligent, handsome, and lively person I have ever known. You are my best friend and the love of my life. I promise:
- to be honest, loyal and caring to cherish our lives together.
- to be a great mother to the children we will have
- to listen & work with you to find solutions to our problems
- to encourage and inspire you to achieve your goals
- to always smile and show affection to you
- to share my feelings and my thoughts
- to be a better person with you in my life.
I affirm my love for you and offer you to be my husband.
Minister: (Insert one sentence comment on Wife's vows if you like.) Thank you both for sharing your vows with us.

Minister: Dean, do you accept Wife's offer and take her as your wife?
Dean: I do.
Minister: Wife, do you accept Dean's offer and take him to be your husband?
Wife: I do.
Minister: Ring Bearer, can you present the rings to our new couple?
(Ring Bearer walks up to Dean & Wife, who take the rings)
Minister: These rings are a token to remember the promises you made to each other.
(Dean puts ring on Wife's finger first, then Wife on Dean.)

Minister: Please now take a moment of silence to pray for the success of Dean and Wife in marriage.
(~30 second delay)
Minister: I'm happy to hear such great testimony of love, vows, and mutual acceptance of marriage! I now pronounce Dean and Wife as husband and wife!
(Dean and Wife kiss)
(Everyone else: clap/cheer)

Welcome Dean Wins. Do you reside at Hogwarts?

I have two, one hour videos of my niece’s weddings. Although they have both remarried and asked me to never show those videos again I have kept them because my entire family, including those deceased, are seen and heard and that is much better than a simple picture.

I have been married to Barbara (sometimes I call her Barb or when I am feeling amorous, Barbarella) for 36 years. Right now, on Sunday morning we are being visited by my mother in law, my oldest daughter, and Elizabeth my just turned four year old grandchild. I just printed her a “pony” coloring page which I hope she is carefully water coloring.

(Dean and Wife kiss)

(Everyone else: clap/cheer)

Marriage and family are great!

Dean,

Cheering and clapping from my house to yours too! Very nice, I wish you both a 100 years of happiness together.

(I don't think that play with the kids as if you're their age will work out well at all times though, unless you're willing to eat dirt and play with your own poop...)

Dean:

Welcome. I like your style already.

Don't screw it up!

Oh no...don't jinx the virgin..,***

***however we can negotiate ...

Michael,

I'm smart, successful, and I'm at heart a seeker of truth... and I have a very harsh serious character. I'm not so friendly with those who prefer to redistribute wealth from the likes of me, nor want to regulate what I can do in my privacy. I think my presence is kind of like mirror that you can't look away from, which I think can very much change the mood and cause people to identify conflicts and make things less friendly. And I think you like to host a more warm and less serious environment.

I don't know if my presence on RoR has contributed towards its loss of participants. There was the Lindsay split, BB, You, Ted Ker, and the website uses old-in-house software, and the article contributions started going down etc... Not to saying that I didn't like Joe's decisions, I really do like Joe and I think he did a good job for his purpose. So maybe it wasn't so much me. But anyways, I would sure hate it if you felt like my presence here was a detraction to what you have going on. Please if you ever feel like I'm doing such let me know.

Cheers,

Dean

Dean,

If it makes a difference you certainly didn't contribute to my non-participation on RoR. I still go by and look at the topics and posts from time to time and yours is one of the names I read, along with Fred and Merlin Jetton. When Ted left I was pretty much done with RoR. Funny, you find someone with broad intelligence, a very quick creative thinker, thoroughly knowledgeable about objectivism, politics and economics, language and science, history, an excellent writer and he gets hounded off the forum by self important puffed up derivative thinkers with hurt feelings. And over a lie, an outright lie (not Ted's lie). So what if Ted got a little bristly when annoyed (annoyed with good reason). I learned more from Ted than anyone. I'm still pissed. I don't know, you may have wanted to throw him off too. Don't tell me, I don't want to know.

Glad you're here Dean, for however much you post. I'm looking forward to your contributions.

Mike,

I think Joe and I have very similar philosophies, so when Joe had a disagreement with someone I usually also disagree with them for the same reason. His moderation policy and tact are different than mine, and its a really difficult position to moderate. Generally I just disliked the flame wars, I never had much strong negative feelings for any of the participants. In some cases I liked seeing fewer kinds of posts from some people, not going to lie, but there is also aspects of some of the characters that I missed. Due to my close philosophical agreements with Joe, I really liked participating on his website.

Joe has kind of been neglectful of RoR lately, not that I'm saying its his duty to tend to it. I've been a neglectful "Web Developer" there for years now. So anyways, now I'm looking for more people to talk to at a place that is actively maintained and moderated, hence my entrance here. Not that I really know what here is like yet. :)

Cheers,

Dean

Hi Dean,

Just now saw you have begun participating here. Bright addition to this bright scene.

Thank you so much for your part in making RoR possible.

The technical limitations I began to have with RoR upon my switch to Mac prevented me a long time from sending more articles to the editor over the system. I had to send it to her directly, and then she was faced with a very substantial cleanup of the document to put it into the RoR system. Recently, I discovered that I can now submit articles fine again within the system and from the Mac. I do still have to write in the code for all the italics and so forth for anything I post at RoR.

But the great problem for RoR to my mind has always been there. It is part of the design, and it's nature is social. It does not report the numbers of reads in a thread. I began posting there in 2005. For months I had little evidence that anyone was reading what I wrote. The gold dollar-sign awards seemed to be used by folks in those days, mostly to say yeah to one side or the other in a dispute. They appeared seldom on anything I wrote in those days, however serious and substantial my posts might be. Eventually, I began to notice that some issue I had raised or idea I had put forward were often being talked about right away in some other thread with no mention of my triggering post. I figured it was young people shy to engage directly with the much older long-study set. Learning of that phenomenon was my first glimpse into the possibility that meagerness of direct responses and gold signs to my contributions was giving a false impression of having little to no readers.

When I began posting in these systems used at OL, SOLO, and eventually, Objectivism Online, they showed number of reads, and that was all the difference in the world. It is candy. Demand for a product is candy in that psychological way, in this setting as well as in a commercial setting. I can still do some arithmetic, and its not that difficult to gauge how many reads your posts and articles are receiving.

However belated it might be, I wish you happiness on and on in your marriage. I was pleased to see in one of your posts upstream that you identified yourself as of the sort "redistributed from," rather than "redistributed to." Continued success in that way also.

Stephen

Thanks Stephen. I've felt that feeling of wondering how many people were reading and participating on RoR too. On this website its also neat to see how many people are currently actively reading.