Feeling It

caroljane

Browsing around in Aesthetics, to look at the pretty pitchers and try to pick up some pseudo-knowledge to impress people with, I have become fascinated in the stories of various threads and had a lot of thoughts.

One of them was about learning styles. As a teacher I was trained to adapt lessons to the most common individual learning styles: Visual, aural, audio-visual and textual (Some people are tactile learners but I just hoped and prayed I would never have to try to teach any of them). Reading the discussions on art by those who respond so emotionally and intricately to paintings, was a real revelation to me. As a text-based non-visual type, I have realized that there are other languages than the ones I know. I was especially riveted by the many great posts of Ellen, Kevin Haggerty and Jonathan.

A side thought was that one of the most frequent posters may have battled dyslexia, which would explain a few things.

This subforum is a real treasure trove, Michael. I will never understand philosophy or art but I will always find ways to argue I do not need to!

It would explain a tendency to start topics or support arguments by cutting and pasting from other sources, and to misspell common words and names in a way that suggests he did not recognize the correct spellings automatically as most readers do.

It would also explain his broad but shallow knowledge of Objectivism, which is taught by lecture, discussion and debate, famously by audiotape and telephone and now by podcast.

It would explain the odd disjunctions in his arguments and frequently amusing "typoes". Example: "I will say this mush:" {then proceeds to write mush}