Ayn Rand: In Her Own Words (2010)

Rich Engle

Ayn Rand: In Her Own Words (2010) for sure just hit Netflix in the last couple of days. If you have a subscription, there it is.

I got it off the Roku box, "recent arrivals" via Netflix.

It's good fill-in. Not badly done. Some new ways of putting it together, and some rare photos/footage.

Netlix, Ayn Rand: In Her Own Words

rde

Edited by Rich Engle

Ayn Rand: In Her Own Words (2010) for sure just hit Netflix in the last couple of days. If you have a subscription, there it is.

It's good fill-in. Not badly done. Some new ways of putting it together, and some rare photos/footage.

rde

Excellent. I would suggest everyone follow Rich's suggestion about Roku with the Netflix enhancement. We did. So now, I will be able to watch Ayn Rand: In her own words this weekend, instantly and for "free." I just love technology!

Thanks again Rich!

Adam

rde

I just watched this for the first time. Wonderful film.

I assume most of Rand's biographical reflections are from Barbara Branden's extensive interviews. In fact, at one point (while Rand is talking about buying the 65 cent dinner instead of the 45 cent dinner), I believe you can hear Barbara laughing in the background. Yet, despite the extensive credits at the end of the film, no mention is made of Barbara's role.

This incessant pettiness from ARI is sickening.

Ghs

rde

I assume most of Rand's biographical reflections are from Barbara Branden's extensive interviews. In fact, at one point (while Rand is talking about buying the 65 cent dinner instead of the 45 cent dinner), I believe you can hear Barbara laughing in the background. Yet, despite the extensive credits at the end of the film, no mention is made of Barbara's role.

Ghs

For some perspective, a 45 cent meal then would be like a 6.50 diner today. Welcome to inflation! That's the place to be! Inflation! Inflation! GGGGGGGGG!

--Brant

rde

Ghs

I think you are right about that laughing (and to me, that was a precious part of the film) . And, I KNOW! The Ministry of Propaganda . . . At least they avoided doing like in some bad prints of Bruce Lee's "Game of Death" where they had someone's paste-on head stuck in there. Or, more to this case, whited-out. Ding-dongs.

r

Edited by Rich Engle

The story is that they did just this in the audios of Rand's fiction-writing lectures. Every now and then, presumably when NB or BB speak up, a voiceover intones "At this point the question was asked..."

Rich, George, et al.,

Just watched it tonight.

A well done film that reminded me both how joyous she could be and also how vulnerable she was.

Some of the pictures with her cat(s) were precious.

Also, her vamping for the camera reminded me of the woman within the philosopher.

I am truly blessed to have lived in her time, been able to read her great works and be able to absorb the truths and break through visionary concepts that she brought to us.

Adam

thanks for Roku Rich

I'm slowly working my way through it. A lot of times I put things on in the background and do other things, but with this film, I realized I needed to actually watch it and listen to it at the same time.

Btw, where abouts in the film is pics of her with her cats?

Fred:

Without being precise, since I did not mark the time on the Roku, somewhere after she and Frank are setting up their home. There is a priceless shot of Frank on the left and Ayn on the right with a big faced cat sitting up at the table with Ayn holding the cat.

Adam

Fred:

At 1:11 [one hour and 11 minutes] and at 0:52 minutes there are cats and Ayn.

Two on a couch. And a single one. For some reason, I cannot isolate the one with the cat propped up at the table between Ayn and Frank.

Adam

Fred:

Two on a couch. And a single one. For some reason, I cannot isolate the one with the cat propped up at the table between Ayn and Frank.

Adam

I had a hunch that Rand would be a cat person (as opposed to a dog person).

Ba'al Chatzaf

Fred:

Adam

Ba'al Chatzaf

That's public info for 50 years. When did you get your hunch?

--Brant

Fred:

Adam

Ba'al Chatzaf

That's public info for 50 years. When did you get your hunch?

--Brant

LOL

Ba'al has a hunch that the sun rises in the East also!

• 2 weeks later...

Ba'al Chatzaf

Frisco liked to sleep on the manuscript of Atlas Shrugged as it was being written, and she let him. The same mischievous cat whom she designated a “professor of epistemology” because he once urinated on a nonobjective painting.

Now that’s what I call a cat lover