A new interview with John Aglialoro

On Fegruary 5, 2008, at the New York Junto celebration of Ayn Rand's 103rd birthday, the following interview with John Aglialoro was read. John is the executive producer of the forthcoming Atlas Shrugged movie. He gave me permission to post his interview on Objectivist Living.

########################################

Is Angelina Jolie firmly committed to the project?  

Yes, she is. Here is what she told us: “Dagny Taggart is the most relatable

character to me of all the extensive literature I have ever read.”  

Has she signed a contract? 

We have a letter of intent.

What will happen if current rumors that she is pregnant turn out to be true.

I won't comment on her personal matters. 

Would this excuse her from a commitment, or would the project be delayed?

The Writers Guild strike has delayed us. And the contract of the Screen Actors

Guild is up in May. Rand's original title for Atlas Shrugged was The Strike. So

irony of ironies, we're being held up by a strike. Fortunately the Directors Guild has

already settled. If it wasn't for the writers strike the script would be finished and we'd be

looking at locations.

What other actors, if any, have committed to the project? 

We have had discussions with Russell Crowe to play the part of Hank Rearden. He

has read the script. He's very much in demand so we'll have to see if he likes the script

enough to fit this project in.

Who is John Galt?  

He'll probably be played by an unknown.

The music of Rand's character, Richard Halley, plays an important part in the novel. 

What are your plans for music?

I'm looking for an epic musical composition, the sort that contributed so much to

films like “Out of Africa,” “The Natural,” and “Titanic”. I hope Lionsgate (the

production and distribution company) will come up with something truly powerful. 

Is there a cameo for Patricia Neal?  

I am glad you reminded me. It would be nice to work that in. 

Are you still planning three parts? 

No. It will be one movie, lasting roughly 2 1/2 hours.

When will filming begin?  

4th quarter of 2008 or 1st quarter of 2009.

When would it open in theaters?

You got to figure an editing process of at least six months. Probably you're

talking about the Fall of 2009.  

Do you think the final script will adequately convey the message of Rand's book?  

The essence of the message will be there. We can't include every detail from the

book. We want people to be driven to the book by the movie. In fact, when we do the

DVD we want to include something on the disc to promote the book. I expect to include

a feature on the making of the movie 

Who will get screenwriting credits?

James V. Hart did the first script. Then Randall Wallace took it over and added a

lot to it. Then our director, Vadim Perelman, did a lot of writing. So those three will

have writing credit. The script is excellent. I'm going to try to get a credit for David

Kelley as either a writer or an assistant producer. He has been integral in helping with

the philosophic judgments in approving the script, and keeping true to the Objectivist

view of the message of the novel. 

Is the story set in the 1950s, in the time when the book was released?

It will be set in modern-day American. And it will be in color. The budget is $70

million.

What kind of response do you expect?

I think the extreme right and the extreme left will unite in a rare unity to denounce

the movie and its philosophic message. We will have hostile reviews. But the quality of

this production will win out.

##################### ################

it's relevant for me to point out, for those who think one can't transpose a complex philosophical novel to the screen without destroying it, that Rand, who was writing a miniseries of Atlas just before her death, said that she intended Galt's speech to require no more than 3-7 mimutes of screen time.

Barbara.

Barbara; Thanks for the interview. By 2009 an Atlas movie will be very needed.

As much as a movie version of -Lord of the Rings- was needed, which is to say not needed. Some works are so suited for the written word that it is a futility to take it to screen.

I will give 8 to 5 odds the picture will not be started by 1Q 2009. I will also predict that if it is made, half of those who see it will gnash their teeth and rend their garments.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Edited by BaalChatzaf

Morning:

Boy, I sure hope you do not earn your living by gambling. lol

Adam

Barbara,

Thank you so much for posting this. I know many Objectivists and Objectivism-friendly people will be glad to get this news of the film's progress. I certainly am.

I moved this from the TAS Corner to here and pinned it so it will be with the other information on the Atlas movie. However, I left a link behind.

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

What Barbara posted here is just now being reported on other forums (starting about yesterday).

A good one is on the Atlasphere:

Atlas Shrugged Movie Update: Interview with Executive Producer John Aglialoro

and (almost repeat)

John Aglialoro on the Atlas Shrugged Movie

Interview by Susan Paris - Feb 25, 2008

Michael