restaurant to skim tips

http://m.startribune.com/?id=270082251#continue

The Minnesota restaurant, after being forced to raise minimum wage to eight dollars an hour, decides to take 2% out of servers tips.

It's hard to protest the involuntary nature of taxes and at the same time take a portion of your employees tips for yourself

The Minnesota restaurant, after being forced to raise minimum wage to eight dollars an hour, decides to take 2% out of servers tips.

It's hard to protest the involuntary nature of taxes and at the same time take a portion of your employees tips for yourself

Derek:

Did you notice that, apparently, there is company provided health insurance and that cost seems to be 98% absorbed by Blue Plate.

You seem to isolate the 2% purely to the forced minimum wage. Apparently, the 2% only applies to credit card purchases.

Your wording in your post does not make that clear.

A...

Just offering you a tip...

Are servers subject to minimum wage in Minnesota? I thought that was the whole point of tips... to make up for the servers not getting paid minimum wage.

In any case, I detest the tipping system way more than I detest minimum wage laws.

Arise ye prisoners of starvation! Arise ye slaves of want!!!! (Start of the Internationale).

Ba'al Chatzaf

Are servers subject to minimum wage in Minnesota? I thought that was the whole point of tips... to make up for the servers not getting paid minimum wage.

In any case, I detest the tipping system way more than I detest minimum wage laws.

The first is voluntary. Any "compulsion" is cultural. If you're going abroad you need to read up on local customs. May I suggest your situation is that of being directly impacted by tipping, but not the wages as a business owner would?

--Brant

I didn't know women had alligator brains (lie alert! lie alert!)

Brant, as lovable as you are, sometimes you make no sense whatsoever. I have no idea what your point is.

From the people I've known who have worked in the hospitality industry, there are already lots of restaurants that take a cut of tips paid via credit card and have done so for a long time. That offsets the fees the business pays in order to process that type of transaction, and it's why I pay tips out of cash whenever I can. It seems that Blue Plate is simply adopting what has been standard practice in the industry for a while.

Brant, as lovable as you are, sometimes you make no sense whatsoever. I have no idea what your point is.

I guess this is why I'm irrefutable--no one can figure out what I'm saying!

--Brant

I'm trying to figure it out myself

lovable me?--you have to tie me down to act on that!

I guess this is why I'm irrefutable--no one can figure out what I'm saying!

--Brant

I'm trying to figure it out myself

lovable me?--you have to tie me down to act on that!

DD, I have plenty of different colored ropes.

However, my gut tells me you would also need a tranquilizer dart pistol.

A...

Just being helpful...

I love the fact that it is liberal business owners who are griping about the political intrusions into business that they supported.

J

Is it the business owners who are griping? Does implementing a business practice that is standard to their industry (if not their market) count as griping? Or is it the employees, who are still getting a net gain in wages, griping?

I love the fact that it is liberal business owners who are griping about the political intrusions into business that they supported.

J

Is it the business owners who are griping? Does implementing a business practice that is standard to their industry (if not their market) count as griping? Or is it the employees, who are still getting a net gain in wages, griping?

The owners, employees and customers are all griping. The owners don't like that all of the regulations and handouts that they supported are happening all at once. They don't like having to pay for what they advocated, but want to spread the burden around. The employees don't like having to contribute anything to the cost of the liberal policies -- the ones who are intelligent enough to be aware of what's going on were expecting benefits only from the legislation, and no costs or responsibilities. And the customers don't like having the additional costs passed on to them, especially when the idiot liberal owners were the ones who supported the regulations and handouts.

J

A...

Just offering you a tip...

you are right, I had this article open on my phone and I wanted to use the page to search for something else (I don't like to have a million open tabs at the same time) so I needed to get this thread written fast...and I was also on phone when I posted it

Dldelancey, if the industry has been doing this for a while then I still say its not right. Where I live we have gas stations who charge two different prices for gas based on whether you pay by cash (cheaper) or by card. I understand that, there is in fact a fee involved with processing credit. But for the owner to instead tell the gas attendant, every time a customer uses credit I'm going to dock your pay...... that's a little different and I think its wrong. The server has nothing to do with the choices that the customer makes. If the customer decides not to tip, should the server be allowed to dip into the register to make up the difference?

Derek, as I said, I'm not a fan of the tipping system at all, and when I have cash in hand, I always use that for tips even if I pay my bill on credit/debit. So, we are actually more in agreement than you think. (Where do you live that there are gas attendants? I didn't know such a thing existed anymore.)

Jonathan, point taken.

Derek, as I said, I'm not a fan of the tipping system at all, and when I have cash in hand, I always use that for tips even if I pay my bill on credit/debit. So, we are actually more in agreement than you think. (Where do you live that there are gas attendants? I didn't know such a thing existed anymore.)

Jonathan, point taken.

You can't pump your own gas in New Jersey. It's against the law.

--Brant

Jonathan, point taken.

You can't pump your own gas in New Jersey. It's against the law.

--Brant

Correct.

The citizens of New Jersey are too stupid to be able to figure out how to put a nozzle into a hole which would explain their elective choices...

Christine Todd Whitman - you remember her, a Bush appointee - EPA, I believe, who said there was nothing toxic about the post 911 air...really, could you be that stupid?

Jim McGreevey - meet me at the truck stop at exit ___ - a real class act.

Jon Corzine - I have no knowledge of where the billion dollars went ...

Woodrow Wilson and let's not forget this marxist racist statist thug...

A problem of switching over to self-pumping is the need to upgrade the nozzles so the customer doesn't get gas on his hands. Just a little requires washing or a rag wipe off. I was so used to having my gas pumped that when I drove to Washington, D.C. in 1993, I needed help to figure out how to insert the credit card and push the buttons. WTF was this?

--Brant

go ahead and laugh if it makes you feel better

"The Minnesota minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13 per hour, the same as the federal minimum wage for tipped employees. The Minnesota tipped wage applies to employees like waitresses, waiters, bartenders, valets, and other service employees who earn more then $30 in tips a month.

Including tips and cash wages, all tipped employees must still earn at least the Minnesota Minimum Wage of$6.15 per hour. If a Minnesota employee does not earn at least $6.15 including tips in any given hour of work, their employer must make up the difference in cash."

http://www.minimum-wage.org/tipped.php?state=minnesota

Saying "Keep the change" is just another way to be gracious. On a numismatic bourse floor, prices are fluid. Price to buy or sell depends who you are and that applies to seller and buyer alike. It is all about negotiation. If a dealer does not get his best price, he may complain, "I left money on the table." If an object is marked $105, you can offer $100 even. But if it is $95 and I like the dealer - and want to cement the relationship for the future - I will hand over $100 and call it even. "No, no, I insist.." It is a bit unusual for collectors, but dealers are expected to lower their prices, though collectors are not expected to raise theirs.

I see everyone in the hobby as a dealer. The ANA has two codes of ethics, one for dealers, and another for collectors. (Also they have a third for Board members.) When we wrote our ethics code for the Michigan State Numismatic Society, I created one code for everyone.

Have you never had a server, especially a bartender, give you a freebie? How about in the cab, has a driver not said "$32.50" and shut off the meter before he stops? Does the driver get out and open the door? I always did.

I'm in favor of tipping (or withholding a tip). I'm also in favor of bribery, seduction, diplomacy, and impromptu charity.

Excellent.

Requires no explanation.

A...

"The Minnesota minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13 per hour, the same as the federal minimum wage for tipped employees. The Minnesota tipped wage applies to employees like waitresses, waiters, bartenders, valets, and other service employees who earn more then $30 in tips a month.

Including tips and cash wages, all tipped employees must still earn at least the Minnesota Minimum Wage of$6.15 per hour. If a Minnesota employee does not earn at least $6.15 including tips in any given hour of work, their employer must make up the difference in cash."

Saying "Keep the change" is just another way to be gracious. On a numismatic bourse floor, prices are fluid. Price to buy or sell depends who you are and that applies to seller and buyer alike. It is all about negotiation. If a dealer does not get his best price, he may complain, "I left money on the table." If an object is marked $105, you can offer $100 even. But if it is $95 and I like the dealer - and want to cement the relationship for the future - I will hand over $100 and call it even. "No, no, I insist.." It is a bit unusual for collectors, but dealers are expected to lower their prices, though collectors are not expected to raise theirs.

I see everyone in the hobby as a dealer. The ANA has two codes of ethics, one for dealers, and another for collectors. (Also they have a third for Board members.) When we wrote our ethics code for the Michigan State Numismatic Society, I created one code for everyone.

Have you never had a server, especially a bartender, give you a freebie? How about in the cab, has a driver not said "$32.50" and shut off the meter before he stops? Does the driver get out and open the door? I always did.

On a recent outing to Outback with my son, our server almost broke down in tears. She had apparently flubbed several things that evening, and even though she messed up my order, she was perfectly professional about it. I assured her it was okay because she was obviously good at her job but having an off night. I tipped her 100% of the check hoping that would lift her spirits for the rest of the evening. I understand what it means to be gracious. I have been guilty of lots of things, but a lack of grace has never been one of them. At least not lately.

That doesn't mean that I have to like the system.

On a recent outing to Outback with my son, our server almost broke down in tears. She had apparently flubbed several things that evening, and even though she messed up my order, she was perfectly professional about it. I assured her it was okay because she was obviously good at her job but having an off night. I tipped her 100% of the check hoping that would lift her spirits for the rest of the evening. I understand what it means to be gracious. I have been guilty of lots of things, but a lack of grace has never been one of them. At least not lately.

That doesn't mean that I have to like the system.

It's extremely hard to be a server. It's a stream of varying human interaction but smile, smile, smile. Whenever I go to Waffle House I leave 20% or more. If I were a regular I'd cut it to 15%, but I hardly ever go out to eat.

--Brant

...but I hardly ever go out to eat.

--Brant

What do you go there to do then?

A...

Confused - seems to be a Jersey thing...

...but I hardly ever go out to eat.

--Brant

What do you go there to do then?

A...

Confused - seems to be a Jersey thing...

I hardly . . .

Thought that was clear.

--Brant

putting on the mud, hoping The Predator won't see me