words commonly confused

jts

I'm not mentioning any names. But I noticed in OL some poor English that I tend to associate with poor education. When I went to school many years ago, I was drilled on English. Perhaps now government-run education is not as good as it was in the 1950s and 1960s.

For those who need it, this web page is a quick course on words commonly confused.

http://homepage.smc....ly_confused.htm

Chimp chomp champ, chump.

I'm beginning to think jts is a troll. He sure is acting like one.

When someone says "writing techniques," you don't need a degree in brain surgery to understand what that means. Instruction is always welcome. Posting a bait and switch title in the Writing Techniques section to bash OL is quite another.

So now this thread is here in the Garbage Pile where it belongs.

Michael

When someone says "writing techniques," you don't need a degree in brain surgery to understand what that means. Instruction is always welcome. Posting a bait and switch title in the Writing Techniques section to bash OL is quite another.

Michael

Damn Michael...I was just going to join in with some exquisite sadistic syntactic savagery!

Michael

I am confused. I was not trolling. I did not know where to post this and I couldn't find a better place. I did not bash OL.

Michael

I am confused. I was not trolling. I did not know where to post this and I couldn't find a better place. I did not bash OL.

I'm not mentioning any names.

Ahh, so you are just basically a gossipy coward talking behind people's backs without the courage to name names.

Just a pussy sniper...

300sw90744.gif

Michael

Ahh, so you are just basically a gossipy coward talking behind people's backs without the courage to name names.

Just a pussy sniper...

300sw90744.gif

Here is a more extensive video of the bear attack. Fortunately, it was declawed and did not cause any serious injuries.

Ghs

I'm not mentioning any names. But I noticed in OL some poor English that I tend to associate with poor education. When I went to school many years ago, I was drilled on English. Perhaps now government-run education is not as good as it was in the 1950s and 1960s.

For those who need it, this web page is a quick course on words commonly confused.

http://homepage.smc....ly_confused.htm

Wasn't very good then. I'm assuming today it's quite a pile of garbage.

--Brant and Brent

I wasn't challenged by any of those word pairs--anything harder?

Jerry's allusions are truly not illusions...just delusions.

Wow this is fun...

These assholes do not even achieve competency...

"1. Pore as a verb means to study or examine something. As a noun, pore means an opening as in the skin or in the leaves of plants.

2. Pour as a verb means to flow freely or to empty a fluid from one source to another."

Hmm let's see...is there another word that their researcher could have discovered that would fit as number three (3)...

sshh...don't let Jerry see this one "POOR"

Just a pussy sniper...

I am very poor at predicting what people will be offended by. I screwed up. In trying to avoid being offensive, I was offensive, tho not intentionally. I should have mentioned a name. Can I redeem myself by mentioning a name now? Or would that be another mistake?

Theodore, message 8:

http://www.objectivistliving.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12230entry165066

First paragraph:

its --- should be it's, a contraction for it is

Second paragraph:

weather --- should be whether

i --- Usually this word is capitalized.

isnt --- should be isn't, a contraction for is not

its -- should be it's, a contraction for it is

preform --- maybe a typo, should be perform

cant --- should be can't

plain ticket --- should be plane ticket

if your black --- should be: if you're black

if your white --- should be: if you're white

if your Native --- should be: if you're Native

doesnt -- should be doesn't

Are you happy? Or did I screw up again?

Maybe I took too many courses in English.

Just a pussy sniper...

I am very poor at predicting what people will be offended by. I screwed up. In trying to avoid being offensive, I was offensive, tho not intentionally. I should have mentioned a name. Can I redeem myself by mentioning a name now? Or would that be another mistake?

Theodore, message 8:

http://www.objectivi...30

First paragraph:

its --- should be it's, a contraction for it is

Second paragraph:

weather --- should be whether

i --- Usually this word is capitalized.

isnt --- should be isn't, a contraction for is not

its -- should be it's, a contraction for it is

preform --- maybe a typo, should be perform

cant --- should be can't

plain ticket --- should be plane ticket

if your black --- should be: if you're black

if your white --- should be: if you're white

if your Native --- should be: if you're Native

doesnt -- should be doesn't

Are you happy? Or did I screw up again?

Maybe I took too many courses in English.

You screwed up if you understood what he said. If you didn't you didn't except you should have addressed him individually. No one is asking for an English lesson on OL unless it's from Jeff, the big R.

--Brant

It is still the fault of the Canadian witch...! Which Witch is the bitch!

witches_cauldron.png

It is kind to offer correction, at least sometimes, but you need to consider context. Is the intent kind, helpful? Is the correction perceived as kindly given, and are the true intentions apparent to the corrected person?

For questions like this we used to consult The Schoolmarm. But.

Theodore is going to un-school his and his partners's spawn/children, as told. If an un-schooled child is given the choice, "Do you give a shit about spelling and grammar?" and the kid says "Fukk No, D@ddy" to Theodore, the other Dad and the Mom, who cares? That is liberty that you can get behind, Champ. One more illiterate in a restricted-reading household in Objectivist County is no big deal.

You should know this, Champ, having brought yourself to the eptitome of primate empathy, learning and insight.

Edited by william.scherk