This is Why I Don't Trust Chris Christie

Adam asked, “Can you source that caveat please?”

From The Big Apple by Barry Popik September 14, 2010.

Buckley Rule (vote for most conservative primary candidate likely to win general election)

Conservative author and commentator William F. Buckley (1925-2008) was asked, in 1967, whom he would support in 1968 for U.S. president. Buckley responded with what would late be called the ‘Buckley Rule” for primary voting: “The wisest choice would be the one who would win. No sense running Mona Lisa in a beauty contest. I’d be for the most right, viable candidate who could win. If you could convince me that Barry Goldwater could win, I’d vote for him.”

Thanks. Did not remember that one.

I completely disagree with it, especially today.

Boehner should be primaried, as well as Kantor, etc.

Sadly, so should Paul Ryan at this juncture.

A...

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam wrote that he completely disagree with the Buckley Rule,(vote for most conservative primary candidate likely to win in the general election) especially today. I will put some extraneous “What Ifs” at the end.

It is a dilemma. I don’t like quoting or promoting William F. Buckley Jr., and not simply because of his hatred of Ayn Rand. I do not want to be the friend to an enemy of Objectivism, reason, the scientific method and other forms of rationality. At his core, Buckley was an irrational, nit picking, polemic, son of a bitch. And he simpered. And hemmed and hawed. Not that the last is a “sin” but I will not tolerate irrational religionists like Ann Coulter who wrote a book called, “Godless.” Ok, I admit I sometimes laugh with her – she is hot in a weird way - but I feel rotten afterwards.

Tolerance of Religionists with “quaint views” like the Mormons is my personal credo as long as their religious views don’t intrude on their political philosophies. Live and let live. But I won’t vote for irrational religious conservatives like The Hucklebee or you fill in the implied blank.

Though we libertarians are nominally aligned with Conservatives there are unpalatable exceptions and that is why we need to do some weeding at the grass roots and the Primary level. Hoo rah for the Tea Party!

My what ifs:

What if the most conservative, most elect-able candidate in a primary is also disturbingly intolerant like a member of the new Christian Inquisition?

What if the most conservative, most elect-able candidate in a primary is running against a more libertarian, less elect-able candidate like Rand Paul?

What if the most conservative, most elect-able candidate in a primary is a warmonger?

What if the most conservative, most elect-able candidate in a primary is charismatic and elect-able but is ignorant. For example what if he or she insists Evolution is lacking in evidence and Lamarckian Theory accounts for species diversity?

What if the most conservative, most elect-able candidate in a primary is someone you “instinctively” despise?

What if the most conservative, most elect-able candidate in a primary does this . . . .

My what ifs:

What if the most conservative, most elect-able candidate in a primary is also disturbingly intolerant like a member of the new Christian Inquisition?

What if the most conservative, most elect-able candidate in a primary is running against a more libertarian, less elect-able candidate like Rand Paul?

What if the most conservative, most elect-able candidate in a primary is a warmonger?

What if the most conservative, most elect-able candidate in a primary is charismatic and elect-able but is ignorant. For example what if he or she insists Evolution is lacking in evidence and Lamarckian Theory accounts for species diversity?

What if the most conservative, most elect-able candidate in a primary is someone you “instinctively” despise?

What if the most conservative, most elect-able candidate in a primary does this . . . .

What if Hell freezes over and we all die of frostbite?

What if a large asteroid the size of Europe hits Earth and we all die in a vaporized cloud?

I like this game!

Adam wrote that he completely disagree with the Buckley Rule,(vote for most conservative primary candidate likely to win in the general election) especially today. I will put some extraneous “What Ifs” at the end.

It is a dilemma. I don’t like quoting or promoting William F. Buckley Jr., and not simply because of his hatred of Ayn Rand. I do not want to be the friend to an enemy of Objectivism, reason, the scientific method and other forms of rationality. At his core, Buckley was an irrational, nit picking, polemic, son of a bitch. And he simpered. And hemmed and hawed. Not that the last is a “sin” but I will not tolerate irrational religionists like Ann Coulter who wrote a book called, “Godless.” Ok, I admit I sometimes laugh with her – she is hot in a weird way - but I feel rotten afterwards.

Tolerance of Religionists with “quaint views” like the Mormons is my personal credo as long as their religious views don’t intrude on their political philosophies. Live and let live. But I won’t vote for irrational religious conservatives like The Hucklebee or you fill in the implied blank.

Though we libertarians are nominally aligned with Conservatives there are unpalatable exceptions and that is why we need to do some weeding at the grass roots and the Primary level. Hoo rah for the Tea Party!

My what ifs:

Then we are fucked. Let's move to Canada.

Not so quick my friend...

http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/16/report-tens-of-thousands-fled-socialized-canadian-medicine-in-2013/

I suggest you bring your pennisula platoons to fight your way into Canada for health care that is worse than the PPAFC.

A...

Not so quick my friend...

http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/16/report-tens-of-thousands-fled-socialized-canadian-medicine-in-2013/

I suggest you bring your pennisula platoons to fight your way into Canada for health care that is worse than the PPAFC.

A...

O.K. Then Costa Rica. They do not have an army there.

Ba'al Chatzaf wrote, and imagine the voice of “Chef” on the TV show South Park:

Christie is a man of the Republican machine. A statist, all 350 lbs of him.

And now lets imagine the voice of Brando (“I made him an offer he could not refuse,”) when you read what Adam wrote:

Christie is like the gluttonous King prostrating himself before the Duke of Fort Lee and fuck the serfs/peasants...

end quotes

But when I make one joke about the sad state of New Jersey, boyoboy do they come to the defense of their beloved Governor. Wow. The psychological experiment worked!

No. Wait? You guys were just kidding weren’t you. You arent’t really migrating to Canada and Costa Rica, are you?

Will it be SF and Denver in the Supper Bowl?

Will it be SF and Denver in the Supper Bowl?

Finally, Peter raises a real weekend issue:

New England + 7 at Denver - over/under is 55, 3 PM start; and

the old time slug fest at 6 PM

San Francisco 49ers + 3 1/2 at Seattle - over/under is 39.

Place yer bets...

Adam and Ba’al mentioned moving to other countries. I went to Wikipedia and a travel site to look up Australia.

G’day mate. Welcome to Australia. People who became permanent residents from July 1, 2007 must have been lawful residents in Australia for 4 years before applying for naturalization. Before applying for citizenship you must understand the responsibilities (the usual things) of Australian citizenship (except for applicants aged 60 or over), be able to speak and understand basic English (except for applicants aged 60 or over, so Jersey-ites are welcome), understand the nature of the application, intend to reside in Australia or to maintain a close and continuing association with Australia.

What is the ancestry of the blokes who make up the population? English (36.1%) Australian (35.4%) Irish (10.4%) Scottish (8.9%)Italian (4.6%) German (4.5%) Chinese (4.3%) Indian (2.0%)Greek (1.9%) Dutch (1.7%) and the rest are split between a motley crew of Filipino, Vietnamese, Lebanese, New Zealander, Polish, Maltese, Maori, Australian Aboriginal, Croatian, and Welsh. There are 65,000 transplanted Americans living there. It will take you a year to start sounding Aussie, and stop saying, “What did you just say?”

25 percent of Australians are Catholic and 18 percent are Anglican. 22 percent of Australians claim no religious affiliations and 11.2 percent won’t answer but are assumed not to be affiliated with any religion, so one third of the population is non-religious and another bunch waffle on religious issues like going to church. Apparently no Jews reside there so Ba'al might be the first.

Queensland and especially the Whitsunday Islands might be a pleasant place to start out your “down-under” acclimation. Never be cold again!

About the upcoming games Adam urged us to “Place yer bets . . .” Do we bet with bitcoins or simple prestige? I side with SF and Denver going to the Super Bowl and Denver winning that contest. I bought some diet proportioned beer for today’s games.

About the upcoming games Adam urged us to “Place yer bets . . .” Do we bet with bitcoins or simple prestige? I side with SF and Denver going to the Super Bowl and Denver winning that contest. I bought some diet proportioned beer for today’s games.

What about the over under?

I am terrible with numbers. I know, football is not normally a game of chance but I am nearly always wrong about scores. My brother who was a high school quarterback used to call into a much listened to Charlottesville sports program with predictions and people used to take his odds and win. He used to hear in public, "Are you that Bob Taylor?" He had a distinctive baritone and gave detailed demands about how his food was to be prepared at restaurants. His ovo-lacto vegetarian diet and continual physical training did not help extend his longevity. Pancreatic Cancer and home hospice are a bad way to go.

...I know, football is not normally a game of chance... [it absolutely is - that is what point spreads attempt to equalize and why the "vig" works for the booky]

His ovo-lacto vegetarian diet and continual physical training did not help extend his longevity. Pancreatic Cancer and home hospice are a bad way to go.

Truly sad to hear about your loss.

I was just watching an old "Gidget" on antenna, nostalgia TV as I was riding my stationary bike. Sally Fields has always rung all my balls. In a show from 1965 Burt Reynolds had a bit part. Later, Sally Fields and Burt lived together. In the second episode Gidget knows the British musical group, "The Nitwits" are arriving in California. To find their secret residence she buys them flowers and then follows the delivery truck to a movie star's, gated estate, where they are hiding out. It was actually a very good show with a lot of father - daughter talk about teenage rebellion, and why teens sometimes like things simply because their parents don't. At the end Sally makes some comment to the camera, speaking to other teens, about the difference between normal 'rebellion' and being revolting.

I wrote, “I know, football is not normally a game of chance . . .”

And Adam responded:

[it absolutely is - that is what point spreads attempt to equalize and why the "vig" works for the booky]

end quote

If it were a “game of chance” then the odds of winning would always average out to be 50-50 in the long run. But, teams are not equal, so I understand what you are saying about the point spread, and a cash payment to the bookie for the privilege of paying. What never fails to piss me off, is when a team with a losing 4 and 11 record beats The Cowboys.

Where I once worked, I used to purchase from a red haired colleen named Cathy, a square on a page with a score on it. I won a hundred bucks once, but I lost more than that over the years.

If we are playing just to see who is more right, I pick:

At three today, Denver over New England 38 to 27.

At six thirty today, San Francisco over Seattle 36 to 24.

And it is about 2pm now. So no bets after kick off.

"balls" ??

I did not misspell the word though I first wrote, "bells" but thought that phrase lacked the nuance I preferred. I think she has the most beautiful mouth of any movie star, for ever and ever, and the rest of her is about perfect.

If we are playing just to see who is more right, I pick:

At three today, Denver over New England 38 to 27.

At six thirty today, San Francisco over Seattle 36 to 24.

And it is about 2pm now. So no bets after kick off.

I had that second game wrong also...

Now it is time for ... drum roll/bugle call... the Pot Bowl...

QlWtc.AuSt.91.jpg

Since Jan. 1, it has been legal to buy and use marijuana in Colorado, but it's illegal for players under the NFL's collective bargaining agreement. In September, the Marijuana Policy Project, a pro-legalization group, placed a billboard outside Denver's Sports Authority Field at Mile High, calling on the league to stop punishing players for using pot. MARIJUANA POLICY PROJECT — MCT

I looked at Realclearpolitics for the first time in 2014 and it still shows the Republican contest with Christie as the leader with Jeb Bush in the running, then Cruz, Paul Ryan, Rand Paul, Walker etc.

I am once again reconsidering William F. Buckley’s quote and paraphrase about primaries: vote for the most conservative candidate who is also elect-able. Combine that with food poisoning on a Caribbean cruise ship and you get McCain and Romney. Were they the most conservative? 2008 is too far back in the temporal anomaly called politics but in 2012, Gingrich may have been the most conservative. In hindsight does anyone think Newt could have beaten Obama?

I did not check on Hillary’s numbers but I am sure she is at her “top” in the polls. I just saw a headline that Bengazi was her “biggest regret.” What a disgusting piece of horse shit. Not getting away with her complacency in the death of the ambassador is her biggest regret. Saying, “what does placing blame, matter,” is her regret. I see Rand Paul has publicly wondered about having Bill Clinton back in the White House as first husband and philanderer. Just watch Bill hint that electing Hillary will mean his expertise will be available for our welfare.

In South Carolina’s Senate primary race Lindsey Graham is still way ahead. I gave Citadel grad Nancy Mace a few bucks but she is just at four percent. I still like her the best of all the RINO challengers. We will see.

As just reported on Fox, evidence has been found showing Governor Christie knew about the traffic jams when they were occurring which contradicts his emphatic statements to the contrary.

You mean Gov. Christie lies????? I am shocked!!!! shocked!!!!.

evidence

??? meaning - a memo? An e-mail? Was fox specific?

Adam asked about incriminating evidence against Christie, “Was fox specific?”

You may know more about it than me by now. I would classify it as allegations at this time from the lawyer of a Christie associate. But if it is substantiated I see Christie being intensely disliked in his home state and there will be an effort to prosecute the guv’ along with his cronies.

I remember some Tea Party truckers were going to block streets around DC as civil disobedience but they thankfully did not. The E Street Band parody about not being able to pee because of the Governor’s induced traffic jam resonates with an older and younger population. And emergency vehicles were blocked from getting someone to a hospital before they died of a heart attack, and that means law suits are on the horizon.

This is truly unfair but I remember around the time of the first godfather movie, a prediction that the mafia would eventually own the White House. Maybe that has been put off for another decade. Chris will drop his attempt to joust in a Presidential primary. Can you imagine, as mere speculation, what a Governor Godfather would do against his political enemies? A thousand bees poured on a sleeping, Dirty Harry Reid?

Peter said "Can you imagine, as mere speculation, what a Governor Godfather would do against his political enemies? A thousand bees poured on a sleeping, Dirty Harry Reid?"

I prefer slimy Reid awaken to the horses head in his bed.

And, It's what any real Godather would do.

Peter said "Can you imagine, as mere speculation, what a Governor Godfather would do against his political enemies? A thousand bees poured on a sleeping, Dirty Harry Reid?"

Good one LV - even though I am Italian, it is amusing

Good one LV - even though I am Italian, it is amusing

I'm Italian too.