Is it moral?

JohnPaul

I work (in sales) for a company that creates software for the K-12 education market. On one hand, my company competes with other private companies to create constantly improving products to help teachers in both public and private schools. Our products are very impressive and achieve remarkable results when implemented properly. I'm very good at what I do and I get a lot of pride from the success stories I often hear from my customers.

But on the other hand, I also benefit from the outrageous pricing practices that can only come from dealing with the bottomless pockets of the public sector. In order to be competitive, our company must embrace the important new trends in education, even when I don't agree with them (ie. common core). We've also recently aquired lobbyists, to "keep us informed about federal funding opportunities". These are all things that I oppose, but I also realise that if we don't do these things, our cometitiors will.

So this is the dilema that I've been dealing with. Is it moral for me to do what I do for a living?

John,

Welcome to OL.

If you are a very good salesman, why sell something you hate?

There's a ton of high-paying educational stuff in the private sector that could use good sales people. Why not sniff around and slowly transition to something you like so you won't receive a jolt to your lifestyle?

I don't even think it's a matter of being moral or not.

It's a matter of sleeping at night.

But if you're comfortable with what you are selling, sales is a noble profession.

On the moral angle, if you believe your services are promoting damage to children, is there really a question?

Michael

Well put.

When I was young I sold life insurance for A.L Williams. I hated seeing people being screwed over by buying whole life that was way over priced and most were sadly under insured because of it. As well most people were not aware that their so called savings were not included if the insured died, only the base amount of the policy was payed out. To this day I still agree with the premise of buying as much as one needs for as little as possible(term insurance) and keeping the remainder separate that one would have spent on whole life in an investment vehicle of your choosing.

Yeah, that makes sense. I agree that it is contextual. It's just challenging because there are many aspects I love and many I hate. I don't intend on staying here long-term. I'm a fairly young guy, and although I'm satisfied with my life and my achievements, I still have greater aspirations.

Like most people, I was a victim of the public school system. My head has been so filled with propaganda that I've only recently begun to see the world through a completely different lens. I discovered Rand about a year ago and it was completely life-changing. But, I just haven't gotten it all figured out yet. I'm often conflicted.

John

I work (in sales) for a company that creates software for the K-12 education market. On one hand, my company competes with other private companies to create constantly improving products to help teachers in both public and private schools. Our products are very impressive and achieve remarkable results when implemented properly. I'm very good at what I do and I get a lot of pride from the success stories I often hear from my customers.

But on the other hand, I also benefit from the outrageous pricing practices that can only come from dealing with the bottomless pockets of the public sector. In order to be competitive, our company must embrace the important new trends in education, even when I don't agree with them (ie. common core). We've also recently aquired lobbyists, to "keep us informed about federal funding opportunities". These are all things that I oppose, but I also realise that if we don't do these things, our cometitiors will.

So this is the dilema that I've been dealing with. Is it moral for me to do what I do for a living?

You are doing the best you can in circumstance that you do not fully control. Some good is coming of your efforts. Take comfort in that.

Ba'al Chatzaf

The entire American--if even not more generally--public educational paradigm--and this infects the private sector too--is rotten obedience-to-authority. This is why most Americans never grow up and lack critical thinking skills.

Parents want their children to obey them, Godamnit!, so they send them to jail during working hours for the benefit of the division of labor.

The religious paradigm is the same structure with God at the top. Caesar and God or God and Caesar, it might as well all be the same except the division makes it easier for hoi polloi control.

The synergistic masses of humanity are bundled up into geo-political entities butting up to each other in sundry power relationships seeking to expand or at least maintain themselves, so everybody gets a flag and the boys get guns, even ICBMs.

Public education can be likened to a giant swimming pool filled with John Dewey water and you, John contribute to the depth by sticking your finger into it. Pull your finger out. Notice the difference in the water level? Smell your finger. Does it stink? It's really all on you. Never mind the drowning children if they're not your children; you can't hurt them or help them whether finger in or finger out; they're goners. The only questions are does your finger stink and if so can you stand it?

--Brant

best rant so far today

We are exactly as moral as the people for whom we freely choose to work. :smile:Greg

Do you know what would be interesting? If someone were to copy Greg's creepy behavior and stalk him and his business associates with a video camera. I think it would reveal how much of a contrast there is between reality and Greg's fantasy self-appraisal. Fortunately for Greg, I think that everyone on OL would never sink to doing anything that freaking whacked out and immoral.

J

The entire American--if even not more generally--public educational paradigm--and this infects the private sector too--is rotten obedience-to-authority. This is why most Americans never grow up and lack critical thinking skills.

This is one reason I positively HATED school.

It was pure torture being forced to sit inert in the presence of endlessly bloviating unproductive public union government funded FAILURES.

Parents want their children to obey them, Godamnit!, so they send them to jail during working hours for the benefit of the division of labor.

The religious paradigm is the same structure with God at the top. Caesar and God or God and Caesar, it might as well all be the same except the division makes it easier for hoi polloi control.

The synergistic masses of humanity are bundled up into geo-political entities butting up to each other in sundry power relationships seeking to expand or at least maintain themselves, so everybody gets a flag and the boys get guns, even ICBMs.

Public education can be likened to a giant swimming pool filled with John Dewey water and you, John contribute to the depth by sticking your finger into it. Pull your finger out. Notice the difference in the water level? Smell your finger. Does it stink? It's really all on you. Never mind the drowning children if they're not your children; you can't hurt them or help them whether finger in or finger out; they're goners. The only questions are does your finger stink and if so can you stand it?

--Brant

best rant so far today

Good one, Brant! Gonna be tough to top this one. :smile:

Greg