The 2016 Presidential Ticket Thread[it was tough not putting this into Humor]

You can trace original major "pathway" of surface travel in NY State - the Hudson River - follow the dark purple track N/S from the dark black of NY City...

Everyone should read Tocqueville's view of America and particularly NY State. He and his French royal were here to observe our prison system which was innovative.

A...

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a Libertarian Party candidate running, apparently unopposed, for Senator of the United States from the State of Florida. who partook of a Pagan ritual in which he killed a goat and drank it's blood.

He has to come up with a lot of signatures plus a $10K filing fee. I'll believe it when I see it. Anyone can pull a stunt like this, it shouldn't (justly) reflect badly on the Libertarian Party.

We have a Libertarian Party candidate running, apparently unopposed, for Senator of the United States from the State of Florida. who partook of a Pagan ritual in which he killed a goat and drank it's blood.

He has to come up with a lot of signatures plus a $10K filing fee. I'll believe it when I see it. Anyone can pull a stunt like this, it shouldn't (justly) reflect badly on the Libertarian Party.

Ah, see the short article that I read concentrated on the "stuff."

The radio comment has been that he is running "unopposed" which I thought was rather odd. I was going to suggest that someone from OL run in opposition.

However, I was thinking of a normal state party that had a primary, or, convention to choose candidates.

Thanks. I had not really looked into it other than the humor of it.

10 K must be the Federal filing fee, or, is that a State filing fee?

Also, how many signatures is required in Florida for a Federal Senatorial race?

Why would the Chairperson of the Florida Libertarian Party resign? What a fool...

They could make this into a really nice issue...

A...

A,,,

$100K signatures. $10K to the Florida Division of Elections. If he's rich enough of course he can buy his way onto the ballot. It's hard to imagine him getting much in the way of donations.

https://reason.com/blog/2015/10/05/libertarian-party-of-florida-chair-resig

Florida law allows anyone who is a registered member of a Party (registration is a matter between the voter and the state, not the voter and the Party) to get themselves on the ballot. The L.P. has nothing but the bully pulpit by which to police its candidates. They do have a voluntary certification process to vet candidates, but Invictus has not yet chosen to go through it.

$100K signatures. $10K to the Florida Division of Elections. If he's rich enough of course he can buy his way onto the ballot. It's hard to imagine him getting much in the way of donations.

https://reason.com/blog/2015/10/05/libertarian-party-of-florida-chair-resig

Florida law allows anyone who is a registered member of a Party (registration is a matter between the voter and the state, not the voter and the Party) to get themselves on the ballot. The L.P. has nothing but the bully pulpit by which to police its candidates. They do have a voluntary certification process to vet candidates, but Invictus has not yet chosen to go through it.

Thanks.

I have to check into this.

Does this guy have a website?

A...

A...

It didn't take long to find!

http://invictusforsenate.com/library/

At least he doesn't list Rand in his recommendation library. Heinlein's there, but only Starship Troopers! The one that's possibly Fascist, depending on how you interpret it (FWIW I don't agree).

A...

At least he doesn't list Rand in his recommendation library. Heinlein's there, but only Starship Troopers! The one that's possibly Fascist, depending on how you interpret it (FWIW I don't agree).

Starship Troopers is NOT fascist. It is muscular libertarian. In the Trooper'verse joining the military is not required, but those that do not join, do not vote.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Cross-posted with Ninth.

Invictus for Senate. See also Ballotpedia's page Ballot access requirements for political candidates in Florida.

He has an interesting accent that I can't quite place. From his Youtube channel:

Edited by william.scherk

Starship Troopers is NOT fascist. It is muscular libertarian. In the Trooper'verse joining the military is not required, but those that do not join, do not vote.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Sounds like this isn't the first time you've encountered the claim. Rather than engaging in thread drift why don't we just acknowledge that there's another (well known) interpretation out there? I even said I don't agree with it. The point is that maybe this fruitcake Florida Senate candidate does.

A...

I respect your opinion.

And thanks. I am going to make some phone calls also.

A...

He has an interesting accent that I can't quite place.

Funny, he sounds a bit like Matt Damon in Good Will Hunting. Why funny? Because he lists (regurgitates?) Gordon Wood in his book recomendations.

British/Irish accent would be my guess after about 20 seconds

Aussie's a possible and a confused Bostonian/New England is possible.

A...

Reason Magazine wants suggestions for Augustus Sol Invictus bumper sticker slogans.

https://reason.com/blog/2015/10/09/reason-weekly-contest-help-augustus-sol

How about "Don't let the Unconquerable Sun go down on America"?

Here are the winners:

https://reason.com/blog/2015/10/16/reason-weekly-contest-sexy-pizza-rat-cos

Mine got an honorable mention. I'd be the first to admit it's not nearly as good as any of the winners (and most of the other honorable mentions).

Well the dumbest man to ever be Vice President is not running...I was wrong.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/22/us/politics/joe-biden-will-not-run-for-president.html?emc=edit_na_20151021&nlid=53564225&ref=cta

So, if Evita does not crash and burn with indictments, she will probably be the nominee.

Iowa becomes critical for her now.

A...

Let me be the first to officially call the Democratic nominee:

2016 - Biden and either Webb or a Latina/Latino as VP...

Biden has put off the decision until September 2015.

A...

Well there goes that pick...lol...

Guess it is Evita and her VP becomes a critical pick because of the Spiro Agnew protection rule...

A...

Jeb needs to go back to private life.

This is an astoundingly bad move:

Debate moderators confronted Marco Rubio about missing Senate votes during his presidential run. The Florida senator responded:

"Back in 2004, one of my predecessors by the name of Bob Grant ran for president. I don't recall them calling for his resignation. Later that year, John Kerry missed 40 to 70% of the votes. In 2008, Barack Obama missed 60 or 70% of his votes and the same newspaper endorsed him again. This is another example of the double standard that exists in this country, between the mainstream media and the conservatives."

Jeb Bush then jumped in -- and called for Rubio to resign. "When you signed up for this, this is a six-year term. You should be showing up to term. Literally, the senate, is it a French work week? You get three days to show up. Just resign and let somebody else take the job. There are a lot of people who are living paycheck to paycheck in Florida."

Rubio replied, noting that Bush models his campaign after John McCain, who missed quite a few Senate votes when running for president.

"Jeb, let me tell you, I don't remember you ever complaining about John McCain's vote record. The only reason you're doing it now is because we're running for the same position. Someone convinced you attacking me is going to help you. I can't campaign about the future of America or attacking anyone else on this stage. I will continue to have tremendous admiration for Governor Bush, I'm not running against anyone on the stage. I'm running for president. There is no way we can elect Hillary Clinton to continue the policies..."

What is the role of a moderator?

Generally

It cannot be over-emphasized that you should refrain from interfering in a debate any more than
is absolutely necessary: the best moderator is usually the one least often heard. The slightest reprimand
you give a debater is liable to influence the judges very strongly.

At the same time, remember how frustrating it is to debate when the moderator is weak, and be
firm.
Your job is vitally important, but don’t let that make you feel too self-important or let power go
to your head and act officiously! Above all, do your best to be fair.

No this is generally the rules for a classic debate format.

However, the spectacle of intolerance displayed by these "moderators" is a display of how dead this media is.

A...

The debate tonight was probably the best thing to happen to the Republican discourse in a long, long time.

The CNBC moderators were so biased and outright bad (they lost control several times), they are now getting hammered all over the place (see here, for instance). And hammered hard.

They were just awful.

But worse for them, they united the candidates. Just as soon as Ted Cruz came out with a short monster rant that cut them off at the knees, there was hardly any bickering. The candidates--alll 10--became comrades in arms against the evil enemy media. Hell, Huckabee even said he was wearing a Donald Trump tie. :smile:

Here is Cruz's rant:

Michael

The debate tonight was probably the best thing to happen to the Republican discourse in a long, long time.

The CNBC moderators were so biased and outright bad (they lost control several times), they are now getting hammered all over the place (see here, for instance). And hammered hard.

They were just awful.

But worse for them, they united the candidates. Just as soon as Ted Cruz came out with a short monster rant that cut them off at the knees, there was hardly any bickering. The candidates--alll 10--became comrades in arms against the evil enemy media. Hell, Huckabee even said he was wearing a Donald Trump tie. :smile:

Here is Cruz's rant:

Michael

I always enjoy Rick Santelli and he asked about the Fed, a germane economic question. The repubs have finally understood what they are fighting for. And it took a few non politicians to get their dander up. They have cohesive arguments but its based on one upmanship and not being left behind. Without direction provided by Fiorina, Trump and Carson they are vacuous bobble heads, with the exception of Paul. I see Trump as being more isolated with his government bashing generalist attitude,. when so many are now speaking his language although much clearer on specifics. I have never heard politicians speak of morality when discussing govts role, and was pleased to hear it.

I have never heard politicians speak of morality when discussing govts role, and was pleased to hear it.

Do you mean Carson and Kasich[sp?] ?

I did not watch the "debate."

Adam,

I think you would have like this one. The extent of the moderator bias really did get the candidates to stop bickering with each other and show the public just how strong a field Republicans have. 

As a Trump supporter, you know I will pick up on some of his best stuff. My favorite was at the end.

Remember that the original debate was set for three hours and Trump (then Carson) balked? Trump told the story as his closing statement and said even though it cost a lot of money for CNBC, he renegotiated the deal and got it down to two hours so they all could get the hell out of there sooner.

And, of course, that he would negotiate like this for the country.

:smile:

Michael

EDIT: Here's Trump's closing statement: