Capable of Honor - Rand Paul - Honest Politician...!

Selene

As Allan Drury named one of his political novels, it is a profession that is "capable of honor."

Rand Paul, a follower of Ayn, learning at his father's knee, is an honorable politician.

He should be the expected de minimus norm, not the exception.

Rand Paul returns $500K in office budget to Treasury

By SCOTT WONG |

1/12/12 1:50 PM EST

Freshman Sen.
Rand Paul
is making good on his promise to cut federal spending. The Kentucky Republican and tea-party favorite said Thursday he’s returning $500,000 to the
U.S. Treasury
-- money from his operating budget that his office never spent.
The half million dollars represents about 16 percent of Paul’s annual budget, and he contends no senator has returned as much to taxpayers.
“I ran to stop the reckless spending. And I ran to end the damaging process of elected officials acting as errand boys, competing to see who could bring back the biggest check and the most amount of pork,” Paul said at a news conference in Louisville, where he presented taxpayers with a massive mock check for $500,000.
“I hope this sets an example for the rest of government – at all levels,” he added. “We can carry out our duties in a fiscally responsible way. Government can be both smart and efficient. We are proving that – and trying to convince the rest of Washington.”
Paul is the son of GOP presidential candidate
Ron Paul
and co-founded the Senate tea party caucus. As the younger Paul stumped for his father in Iowa and New Hampshire, there’s been plenty of speculation that Rand Paul could launch a presidential bid of his own in 2016.

Well done Senator...you have my support.

Adam

I think Ron Paul would eventually support Mitt Romney if he or Rand Paul were under consideration for the Veep spot. I sent a suggestion to improve Governor Mitt Romney’’s numbers with The Tea Party. Praise Ron Paul. He isn’t going to win and the numbers voting for him are almost set in stone. Praise him during the debates when he demonstrates the truth of the *morality* of Capitalism, his plans to restore prosperity, energy independence, and to secure our borders. Say, “you would consider Ron Paul or Rand Paul as a Vice President.” When Mitt is nominated, Ron Paul’s supporters will rush to the Governor, not Gary Johnson the Libertarian Candidate.

Senator DeMint just said, “I’d like to see a Republican Party that embraces libertarian ideas.” Why can’t Governor Romney? There will be doubters but the Independents and long time Republicans like Mitt’s common sense attitude, and slight lean to moderate conservative social stances, unlike Santorum, who would stone loose women and gays to death 8 -)

Semper cogitans fidele,

Peter Taylor

The concept of Goody Two Shoes as the nominee makes me gag...

Since my first choice of what is not Goody Two Shoes, Mr. Newt, has decided to play a mental Plaxico Burroughs, with a Glock strapped to his temple while he dances to marxist rhetoric, seems to be rushing to eliminate himself.

And since Perry has established himself as politically retarded with his "vulture capitalism" statement, hell, had he said "vulture corporatism" it would have worked! And, if Mr. Newt does not do a complete 360 and either win South Carolina or finish a close second in the primary in ten (10) days, then I will support Dr. Paul, foreign policy warts and all.

Anti-tax activist, Grover Norquist stated today, "Writing in the British Guardian,...said, Republicans will have no choice but to let Rep. Ron Paul speak at the GOP convention. Paul's positions -- especially his views on foreign policy and America's "empire" abroad -- have alienated many in the GOP establishment.

Here's what Norquist wrote:

"There will be no more surprises in the 2012 Republican race for the presidential nomination. After New Hampshire we know the following: Mitt Romney will be the Republican nominee; Jon Huntsman's strategy of putting all his eggs in the New Hampshire basket did not work well; Ron Paul, who came in second in New Hampshire, will not win the GOP nomination.

"However, Ron Paul is the only candidate for the Republican nomination whose endorsement will matter to Mitt Romney. It is the only endorsement that will bring votes and the only endorsement, if withheld, that could cost Romney the general election.

"If Ron Paul speaks at the GOP convention (as he was not invited to do in 2008), the party will be united and Romney will win in November 2012. If Ron Paul speaks only at his own rally in Tampa, Florida (as happened at the 2008 GOP convention in Minnesota) the party will not be at full strength.

"Gingrich, Santorum and Rick Perry divided up 20% of the New Hampshire vote – less than either Romney or Ron Paul received. They will now divide the non-Romney, non-Ron Paul vote in South Carolina.

Adam

I think Ron Paul would eventually support Mitt Romney if he or Rand Paul were under consideration for the Veep spot. I sent a suggestion to improve Governor Mitt Romney’’s numbers with The Tea Party. Praise Ron Paul. He isn’t going to win and the numbers voting for him are almost set in stone. Praise him during the debates when he demonstrates the truth of the *morality* of Capitalism, his plans to restore prosperity, energy independence, and to secure our borders. Say, “you would consider Ron Paul or Rand Paul as a Vice President.” When Mitt is nominated, Ron Paul’s supporters will rush to the Governor, not Gary Johnson the Libertarian Candidate.

Senator DeMint just said, “I’d like to see a Republican Party that embraces libertarian ideas.” Why can’t Governor Romney? There will be doubters but the Independents and long time Republicans like Mitt’s common sense attitude, and slight lean to moderate conservative social stances, unlike Santorum, who would stone loose women and gays to death 8 -)

Semper cogitans fidele,

Peter Taylor

Peter:

I do not believe that Dr. Paul would be stupid enough to take the V.P. spot. If he did, I doubt most of his supporters would view it as anything but a sell out.

Rand would be insane to take the VP, his power and his potential to stop this marxist onslaught is in the Senate.

It is way too early to even think about a VP.

Adam

• 3 years later...

As Allan Drury named one of his political novels, it is a profession that is "capable of honor."

Rand Paul, a follower of Ayn, learning at his father's knee, is an honorable politician.

It is no surprise that I am an Allan Drury lover.

I was wondering why I had not heard much about him in the past decade or so.

Here''s why...

Before House of Cards, before The West Wing, there was Allen Drury's Advise and Consent, a masterpiece of fiction considered by many to be the greatest political novel ever written.

Originally published in 1959, Drury's massive epic spent over 120 weeks on the New York Times bestseller list, won a Pulitzer Prize, and was adapted into a successful 1962 film starring Henry Fonda. But, due to entanglements with the author's estate, Advise and Consent--along with Drury's entire library of political and historical fiction--was out of print for nearly fifteen years. It ranked high on last year's list of the Top 100 Most Searched for Out of Print Books.

Mid-sized publisher WordFire Press has re-issued a new eBook and trade paperback edition of Advise and Consent, which includes new appendices, never-before-published essays about the book written by Drury himself, as well as remembrances by Kenneth and Kevin Killiany, his heirs and literary executors. WordFire also just released A Shade of Difference--Drury's first sequel to Advise and Consent--along with two of his standalone political thrillers, Decision and Mark Coffin, U.S.S. The rest of the Advise and Consent series will be reissued throughout the 2014 campaign and election season.

In his day, Allen Drury was considered a staunch conservative writer with somewhat controversial views, particularly wary of the ambitions of the Soviet Union. Today's conservative readers will still champion his novels, while modern liberals alienated by current extreme conservative politics will see an altogether different brand of conservatism.

Interesting...

International bestselling author Kevin J. Anderson, the publisher of WordFire Press, acquired the rights to Drury's entire library after he personally intervened and helped with the literary estate.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/phil-simon/classic-politics-the-work_b_5403779.html

And did you know that The Objectivist liked Drury? BB reviewed Preserve and Protect and Erika Holzer Capable of Honor, both favorably. They ran an interview with him in 1970. Then EH hated Throne of Saturn and they never mentioned him again. The recent Dennis Hastert revelations were like one of Drury's subplots.

And did you know that The Objectivist liked Drury? BB reviewed Preserve and Protect and Erika Holzer Capable of Honor, both favorably. They ran an interview with him in 1970. Then EH hated Throne of Saturn and they never mentioned him again. The recent Dennis Hastert revelations were like one of Drury's subplots.

Knew about the first two since I was a subscriber.

I never read the Throne of Saturn, however did hear that they had panned it.

A...

• 1 month later...

Wow...I may have to add something to the title of this thread along the lines of:

"...and apparently, the stupidest campaign staff on the planet!"

Rand Paul, the Republican senator from Kentucky, is running for president. His team recently released a mobile app called 'Rand Paul 2016' on Apple's iTunes Store and in the Google Play store. It allows Rand fans to stay up to date with the candidate on the issues, donate money to Paul and even endorse him online. One of the features in the app, in a section called 'Photo Booth,' allows users to upload pictures of themselves with a picture of Rand, with the hashtag #StandWithRand.

The campaign was hoping that supporters would take a selfie with Rand, and share those images on social media. We tried the app out ourselves here at NPR. Here's a shot of me and colleague Ailsa Chang, NPR congressional correspondent, with the Rand himself.

Disaster on the Twitter feeds...

http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/09/05/437613290/-memeoftheweek-stand-with-rand?utm_source=npr_newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=20150913&utm_campaign=mostemailed&utm_term=nprnews