There is no John Galt - and that's worse

syrakusos

Just a simple wood stove, and over 10,000 acres of firewood right outside my front door. :wink:

there is 10,000 acres of firewood outside your door? You been stacking up for the end times? Just kidding but seriously, your tag says you live in LA. I've never been but its deeply forested?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a simple wood stove, and over 10,000 acres of firewood right outside my front door. :wink:

there is 10,000 acres of firewood outside your door? You been stacking up for the end times? Just kidding but seriously, your tag says you live in LA. I've never been but its deeply forested?

Yes... but it's not heavily forested. It's desert Chaparel and Oak trees... in the Summer season.

(pictures taken from front of house...)

f118440c.jpg

And in Winter...

7fc80358.jpg

...an unlimited supply of firewood.

My wife and I chose to locate our Galt's Gulch right on the border of "man-made" and "nature" as it offers the widest variety of options in an emergency situation.

Greg

Aren't you afraid of a wildfire?

--Brant

Nope.

We built a highly fire resistant home with no combustibles on any of the exterior surfaces. It's our ark. We keep all the trees trimmed well away from the house so with that buffer zone there's nothing there to transfer heat to it. A wildfire could burn right through our land and the house will be just fine.

We live within the absolutely most extreme danger wildfire zone where everyone is forced by the government to purchase fire insurance. But since we have no mortgage we don't have to, and instead built our fire insurance policy right into the house. Premiums: Zero. Insurance policies only give you some money when your house burns down, while our policy prevents the house from burning down in the first place.

Now which policy is better?... :wink:

Greg

Aren't you afraid of a wildfire?

--Brant

Nope.

We built a highly fire resistant home with no combustibles on any of the exterior surfaces. It's our ark. We keep all the trees trimmed well away from the house so with that buffer zone there's nothing there to transfer heat to it. A wildfire could burn right through our land and the house will be just fine.

We live within the absolutely most extreme danger wildfire zone where everyone is forced by the government to purchase fire insurance. But since we have no mortgage we don't have to, and instead built our fire insurance policy right into the house. Premiums: Zero. Insurance policies only give you some money when your house burns down, while our policy prevents the house from burning down in the first place.

Now which policy is better?... :wink:

Greg

And you don't have standard homeowner's insurance either?

--Brant

no need to answer if it's too privacy intrusive