Hockey Playoffs Approach

caroljane

FRATERNAL ORDER OF THE SACRED IGLOO Local 13

Office of the Grand Shaman

Dear Brothers,

As the Season of Penitence nears and we await it in our individual spiritual states of wild irrational optimism, resigned defeatism or just-stay-drunk-all-the time till the suspense is over, it is good to remind ourselves that in times of turmoil as in calm we are all one nation, that is to say Leafs Nation, except the few dissenters among us, overt and covert. I name no names.

Until the playoffs are decided, there will be prayer services at the Igloo every Wednesday and Saturday, led by Brothers Mahovlich and Henderson Riel, ably assisted by their sister, Johnny Eddie Shack-Bower. Many of the Elders recall the glorious Centennial Year when twins Mack and Henny were born,and Leafs last won the Cup, and the bright future they have always symbolized to us.

No refreshments will be served and only blue and white can be worn. It has to work sometime.

ISS

Gord

acting Shaman

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Brothers,

As the Season of Penitence nears and we await it in our individual spiritual states of wild irrational optimism, resigned defeatism or just-stay-drunk-all-the time till the suspense is over, it is good to remind ourselves that in times of turmoil as in calm we are all one nation, that is to say Leafs Nation, except the few dissenters among us, overt and covert. I name no names.

Until the playoffs are decided, there will be prayer services at the Igloo every Wednesday and Saturday, led by Brothers Mahovlich and Henderson Riel, ably assisted by their sister, Johnny Eddie Shack-Bower. Many of the Elders recall the glorious Centennial Year when twins Mack and Henny were born,and Leafs last won the Cup, and the bright future they have always symbolized to us.

No refreshments will be served and only blue and white can be worn. It has to work sometime.

ISS

Gord

acting Shaman

Well it sure seems like this year they could actually get in the playoffs ! Closed the gap from 14 to 4 points as of last night but now its 6 pts again. Once a team gets in we all know what can happen - remember last year with Montreal and Philly being 7 and 8 seeds !

Living in Toronto ( although a big Flyers fan since I was a kid ) I would just love to see the Leafs get in and watch the city go wild !

Dear Brothers,

ISS

Gord

acting Shaman

Well it sure seems like this year they could actually get in the playoffs ! Closed the gap from 14 to 4 points as of last night but now its 6 pts again. Once a team gets in we all know what can happen - remember last year with Montreal and Philly being 7 and 8 seeds !

Living in Toronto ( although a big Flyers fan since I was a kid ) I would just love to see the Leafs get in and watch the city go wild !

Marc, I remember when the Blue Jays won the World Series and the city-wide, though stately celebration. If it could ever happen with the Stanley Cup most of my generation would probably die of sheer joy, so in my own selfish interest I accept the reality that it isn't likely.

The Leafs always do this to us, late surge and even if they make the playoffs just collapse at the unaccustomed effort.

I was always a Canadiens fan but had to convert, at least superficially, when I moved here and married, then mothered, hopeless Leafs cultists, lost to all reason. And the Argos, now the TFC, it never ends.

What would we do without it?

Dear Brothers,

ISS

Gord

acting Shaman

Marc, I remember when the Blue Jays won the World Series and the city-wide, though stately celebration. If it could ever happen with the Stanley Cup most of my generation would probably die of sheer joy, so in my own selfish interest I accept the reality that it isn't likely.

The Leafs always do this to us, late surge and even if they make the playoffs just collapse at the unaccustomed effort.

I was always a Canadiens fan but had to convert, at least superficially, when I moved here and married, then mothered, hopeless Leafs cultists, lost to all reason. And the Argos, now the TFC, it never ends.

Daunce,

I remember as well that after those 2 WS wins, the Jays never drew anywhere close to the 4m fans a year again ! Also, when the Argos finally won, people stayed away in droves ! If the Leafs ever win , will fans then stay away I wonder. This is one strange sports town indeed because in other cities it would be the complete opposite . As in your Montreal, they do it right and stop supporting the losing teams , n'est pa ?

5 points out now and a huge game stars in an hour. It would be nice to see although if the Leafs do get the 8 spot , I am figuring that the Flyers will use their brooms hahha !

Dear Brothers,

ISS

Gord

acting Shaman

Daunce,

I remember as well that after those 2 WS wins, the Jays never drew anywhere close to the 4m fans a year again ! Also, when the Argos finally won, people stayed away in droves ! If the Leafs ever win , will fans then stay away I wonder. This is one strange sports town indeed because in other cities it would be the complete opposite . As in your Montreal, they do it right and stop supporting the losing teams , n'est pa ?

5 points out now and a huge game stars in an hour. It would be nice to see although if the Leafs do get the 8 spot , I am figuring that the Flyers will use their brooms hahha !

Marc, the jays are baseball and the CFL is a very niche passion, always needing to be propped up. The Leafs are the LEAFS. If they could win, the insane demand for tickets that already exists would probably cause another G20.

Oh no, don't tell me the Broad Street Bullies are using brooms now. My nerves are wracked enough with hockey, I can;t take curling on top.

Edited by daunce lynam

Nice memory: When the Buds were still in Maple Leaf Gardens, my son and his friend used to ride their bikes downtown and watch practice and get autographs. Did you ever do that? Their bikes never even got stolen, though that's a leading crime here.

Nice memory: When the Buds were still in Maple Leaf Gardens, my son and his friend used to ride their bikes downtown and watch practice and get autographs. Did you ever do that? Their bikes never even got stolen, though that's a leading crime here.

I did that all the time and one reason why I will never leave this amazing city !

As for the brooms in your previous post - very funny indeed hahaha !!!!!!

Not sure if you have seen but there was a great 1 hour documentary on the Flyers of those years, any hockey fan would enjoy it IMO, I saw it on Rogers on demand last month. Those Flyers Leafs series were so amazing in the 70s .

Roy McMurtry , remember him ?

I did that all the time and one reason why I will never leave this amazing city !

Not sure if you have seen but there was a great 1 hour documentary on the Flyers of those years, any hockey fan would enjoy it IMO, I saw it on Rogers on demand last month. Those Flyers Leafs series were so amazing in the 70s .

Was the doc called The Broad street Bullies? If so I have seen it and you are right, it was great.

I think all the attention Clarke and the Thugs got maybe helped get Hollywood interested in making the best sports movie ever, Slap Shot. Remember the proto-Sean Avery forward's great line as he's bearing down on the hungover goalie Hanrahan? And the divine Hanson Brothers?

McMurtry was the Ont.Attorney General wasn/t he? What was the story there?

We won't talk about last night.

Was the doc called The Broad street Bullies? If so I have seen it and you are right, it was great.

I think all the attention Clarke and the Thugs got maybe helped get Hollywood interested in making the best sports movie ever, Slap Shot. Remember the proto-Sean Avery forward's great line as he's bearing down on the hungover goalie Hanrahan? And the divine Hanson Brothers?

McMurtry was the Ont.Attorney General wasn/t he? What was the story there?

We won't talk about last night.

Well Clarke was my favorite player by far and I agree with you about the Slap Shot point too.

RM was the Ont AG and the story was that he was so crazy about his own profile in the media that he ended out charging a Flyer ( I think Don ''big bird" Saleski ) for attacking a police officer ! I was only around 12 but I recall that Saleski was in the box and a fan was all over him and I think that the cop grabed Saleskis stick and then Saleski was pulling it away from the cop. Eventually another Flyer came to the box and passed him another stick. Next day charges were laid but it was really a circus.

Also, in that series , a Leaf ( Salming or Hammetsrong) took a real cheap shot at a Flyer player and the Flyer just went and fought back but hit him at least 10x straight in the face . More police charges.

Great memories, but since Bernie Parent , the Flyers could never get a goalie again with the exception of the late Pelle Lindberg.

Marc,

You'll understand that I am not dissing your first love when I say that their style of play was best appreciated by 12-year-old boys.

Goalies...aaargh. I expect the leafs to put out feelers for our Rahida of the Senior Sizzlers in the Boring Canadian Politics League. She has stamina at least.

As a city we are amazing though, you are right she said smugly. To hell with the Economist.

Marc,

You'll understand that I am not dissing your first love when I say that their style of play was best appreciated by 12-year-old boys.

Goalies...aaargh. I expect the leafs to put out feelers for our Rahida of the Senior Sizzlers in the Boring Canadian Politics League. She has stamina at least.

As a city we are amazing though, you are right she said smugly. To hell with the Economist.

to

Hhahahahahah !!!!!!

I do understand and you are correct ! It was though an amazing time and when the Flyers got the Red Army to actually leave the ice that day, it was one of the most amazing moments of my life back then !

Great city indeed !

Go Leafs Go !

• 2 weeks later...

As the slow torture continues, let us hark back to the golden days that we did not know were golden, when hockey only happened once a week within the six teams, and the voice of Foster Hewitt followed the puck from player to player...

and mangled their names, all of them, even the English ones, even the one-syllable ones...that was torture too...there's no escape, even in nostalgia...

Thank Gord the Royal Wedding is coming up.

In Contention

small.png Minnesota Wild 35-25-7 ― 77 Points Behind 8th (CGY): 2 Games Left: 15

Behind Div. Leader (VAN): 18 (Home: 7, Away: 8) Max Add'l Points: 30 small.png Nashville Predators 33-24-10 ― 76 Points Behind 8th (CGY): 3 Games Left: 15

Behind Div. Leader (DET): 10 (Home: 12, Away: 3) Max Add'l Points: 30

small.png Carolina Hurricanes 31-26-10 ― 72 Points Behind 8th (BUF): 0 Games Left: 15

Behind Div. Leader (WSH): 14 (Home: 10, Away: 6) Max Add'l Points: 30 small.png Toronto Maple Leafs 29-28-10 ― 68 Points Behind 8th (BUF): 4 Games Left: 15

Behind Div. Leader (BOS): 16 (Home: 7, Away: 8) Max Add'l Points: 30

Leafs suck.

That is all.

Habitants! Habitants! Habitants! Habitants!

The father of one of my son's friends is so permanently infuriated at the Leafs that he goes down to the ACC some game nights, just to greet the ingoing crowd with his harangue on how much and in what ways they suck.

This man runs a successful business but I better not say where.His son is embarrassed enough.

This is just too Canadian for words.

The Leafs are being sold now - by the public school teachers union.

I think Celine Dion, Jim Carrey and K'naan should form a

consortium and buy them.

They would continue to choke, of course, butat least the national anthem would be sung spectacularly.

Edited by daunce lynam

It was a historic night in Toronto; the long-awaited debut of rookie Andy Lynam, who scored his first goal as a TTCloc13 centre at 14.22 of the first period, sliding the puck past the aging kneepad of LeafsVets goalie Mark Balzia.

"It was a great feeling," said a jubilant Lynam. "I always played left wing before, but Sal and Lou have seniority on me.I coulda scored more goals but we weren't supposed to take slapshots."

The union stalwarts lost the game by the narrow margin of 12-9(4 of the Leafs' goals were slapshots by Claude Lemieux, they don't play fair).

Lynam's mother also copped two free Local 113 T-shirts bearing the proud logo, "We move the world"*. You can keep your silly old motor, Johnny Galt.

Elsewhere in the city, those newer Leafs managed to beat Boston, with hometown rookie Nazem Kadri getting his first NHL goal.

All in all,for tonight in the Great White North, Gord's in his heaven and all's right with the world.

*Actually it just says "We Move Toronto." Same difference.

Edited by daunce lynam

Dear Brothers,

ISS

Gord

acting Shaman

And no Davey Keon ??????? Sacre Bleu !!!!!!

Dear Brothers,

ISS

Gord

acting Shaman

Now, its getting down to the wire, I am still pulling for the Leafs BUT ....... if the Leafs do not make it to the playoffs, would you promise me that you will pull for the Flyers in the playoffs along with me pretty please ? I know that this is a tough request but I have been by your side for a while now.

Dear Brothers,

ISS

Gord

acting Shaman

Now, its getting down to the wire, I am still pulling for the Leafs BUT ....... if the Leafs do not make it to the playoffs, would you promise me that you will pull for the Flyers in the playoffs along with me pretty please ? I know that this is a tough request but I have been by your side for a while now.

Oh, boy. That is tough. Look at the Canadian teams, just look at them. Edmonton and Ottawa holding down the very last spots in their conferences - Calgary not much better-- I'm writhing. I love Jarome so much!

Bright spot, Reimer rising - but but but. The Canucks---the Canadiens, where my heart is.

OK, if TO and the Canucks AND the Habs do not get through I will go for the Flyers gladly. I like them and will happily cheer them against anybody else, except maybe Tampa because I love Lecavalier.

In return Marc, promise me to hope against Nashville, and that they lose because of the incompetence of Fisher, and that he has to retire early in humiliation and live a life of purse-holding servitude ever after.

Deal?

I know the business realities are all against it and it won't happen, but if we could get another Canadian NHL team my dreams would be:\

Winnipeg although I am a Maritimer

Saint John or Halifax because I am a Maritimer/ draw all the francoamericans and expats up home for good times in the Maritimes on game nights.

Saskatchewan, because they're successful socialist and they deserve it.The Regina Queens? Bring it on!