Nathaniel is no longer with us

Just announced by his wife, Leigh, via Facebook and private email correspondence: Nathaniel passed away this morning.

As Becky and I wrote to her a short while ago:

We are so sorry, Leigh. One of our absolutely top heroes, gone. Your Facebook words said it well: "a brilliant and beautiful light." Nathaniel was that kind of light in our lives, during a long time period when we desperatedly needed that kind of light.

You have our condolences and sympathy, and our gratitude for standing by Nathaniel during these years when life and thought and sharing were becoming increasingly more difficult for him.

Best always,

Roger & Becky Bissell

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well said Roger...

His book Breaking Free was the final tumbler in a complicated lock that opened many wonderful paths for me.

To all who knew him, my sympathies.

Adam

Just so people will know, I get lots of emails and Facebook notices from copywriters and Internet marketers.

The news of Nathaniel's passing is getting a lot of notice in that corner of the universe.

I knew he was known to the online marketing world, but apparently he was more important to them than I had imagined.

Michael

I am sad to learn of Nathaniel's death.

I will miss him.

The Journal of Ayn Rand Studies will be doing a special issue on Nathaniel Branden and his contributions, to Objectivism and to the wider world. My only regret is that we couldn't have it ready when Nathaniel was there to appreciate it.

Robert Campbell

Breaking Free & The Psychology of Self-Esteem changed my life for the better. Thank you, Nathaniel, for writing them.

-Joe

James Peron just published this on the Huffington Post site:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/james-peron/nathaniel-branden-1930-20_b_6265196.html

I met Dr. Branden only once, in 1997, on the occasion of the 40 Anniversary celebration of Atlas. Like the full-time collector I am, I nabbed him as he was returning to his seat after a trip to the men's room, asking him to sign a number of books, articles, LP's that I'd hunted down and brought with me. His abundantly glowing smile reminded me of Francisco. He even expressed surprise upon seeing a few items (e.g., the LP, "Nathaniel Branden Discusses Teenagers Questions on Sex") which he'd not seen in decades. He was curious about my collection, asked a number of pointed questions, and invited me to contact him.

I remember thinking, "That is an Ayn Rand hero." Thanks Dr. B. You'll not be forgotten by many, many people you helped and touched.

My condolences to his wife and others close to him.

I heard him speak a couple times. His speech delivery was notably smooth.

I most appreciate whatever he did to make NBI a success, NBI's products, and to encourage Ayn Rand to write nonfiction.

I think the biggest impact Nathaniel had on my life was with his book The Disowned Self. Not to diminish any of his other remarkable works, and there are many, it was his discussion of self-awareness and self-acceptance in Disowned Self that paved the way for me to vanquish several of my most severe life and career problems and better enjoy musical performance and personal relationships.

REB