SOS from NB and Leigh

SOS from NB and Leigh

I received an SOS email from Leigh just now.

From what it looks like, she blasted it out to everyone on her email list, but I'm not sure. I looked in the hash in the email header and it looks legit, but there were a couple of things that gave me pause.

Leigh said she and her family (which I presume is NB) are on a trip to Italy (Rome) and they got mugged. All their money, credit cards, etc., were taken, but they still managed to hold on to their passports. So she was in touch with the American Embassy, albeit she didn't sound too happy with the good ole' USA diplomatic corps.

She said she was freaked out.

Does someone have a way of verifying this and. if true, helping them out?

Michael

SOS from NB and Leigh

I received an SOS email from Leigh just now.

From what it looks like, she blasted it out to everyone on her email list, but I'm not sure. I looked in the hash in the email header and it looks legit, but there were a couple of things that gave me pause.

Leigh said she and her family (which I presume is NB) are on a trip to Italy (Rome) and they got mugged. All their money, credit cards, etc., were taken, but they still managed to hold on to their passports. So she was in touch with the American Embassy, albeit she didn't sound too happy with the good ole' USA diplomatic corps.

She said she was freaked out.

This might be a scam.

Someone who knows Nathaniel really well needs to establish communication with Nathaniel/Leigh to determine if this is legitimate. If it is, then those who care about Nathaniel need do whatever is required to alleviate the situation.

Send some money. If you never see it again, they're fine.

I have never seen so much intelligence dressed in so much cynicism.

--Brant

Nathaniel cannot travel to Italy and the time for dumping on him has passed--it's even passed for Leonard Peikoff--why?: they can't defend themselves, though for different reasons, I think

--Brant

Nathaniel cannot travel to Italy and the time for dumping on him has passed--it's even passed for Leonard Peikoff--why?: they can't defend themselves, though for different reasons, I think

Brant, I had the impression that this comment was only about the attempted scam, not about NB at all.

--Brant

Brant, I had the impression that this comment was only about the attempted scam, not about NB at all.

This thread is not about Nathaniel and his wife? Only whether to send money to Nigeria?

--Brant

My intent in starting the thread was to help NB and Leigh if the SOS was real, ask people to help verify if the request was legitimate, and find out whether they were all right.

When I posted it, I knew I ran the risk of looking foolish since some warning bells went off in my mind when I looked at the email header hash, but I didn't know for sure. I wanted to know and, if the SOS were real, do something to help.

I'm glad it was baloney. Simply put, I didn't--and don't--give a damn about looking foolish. People are free to think what they want. NB and Leigh are all right and that's what I do care about.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread is a success for what I wished to accomplish.

Michael

When I posted it, I knew I ran the risk of looking foolish since some warning bells went off in my mind when I looked at the email header hash, but I didn't know for sure. I wanted to know and, if the SOS were real, do something to help.

I'm glad it was baloney. Simply put, I didn't--and don't--give a damn about looking foolish. People are free to think what they want. NB and Leigh are all right and that's what I do care about

Michael

Spoken - acted - like a mensch.

The higher value is not sacrificed to the lesser, or non value (Objectispeak).

I'm glad they are fine.

My intent in starting the thread was to help NB and Leigh if the SOS was real, ask people to help verify if the request was legitimate, and find out whether they were all right.

I'm glad it was baloney. Simply put, I didn't--and don't--give a damn about looking foolish. People are free to think what they want. NB and Leigh are all right and that's what I do care about.

As far as I'm concerned, this thread is a success for what I wished to accomplish.

It may have alerted Leigh to what was going on.

--Brant

Michael

I don't think you looked foolish.

Michael, if you took my part in this thread as a dig at you, I apoligize. It wasn't intended that way.

J

Jonathan,

Of course I didn't take it as a dig at me. Nor did I take any of the comments on this thread as a dig. I know my people (meaning the regulars around here). When you guys want to dig, you are generally not subtle. :)

But OL has a lot of readers who do not participate--friendly, hostile, intelligent (mostly), ignorant, emotional, cerebral, left, right and so on. Each one brings to understanding the material his or her own context, experiences, biases, etc.

Something clear to me or to you could prompt a different conclusion when filtered through a much different outlook on life.

I made my comment so there would be no doubt to anyone who might interpret any of the comments on this thread as a dig. Also, I took the opportunity to articulate a perspective I find admirable, one that is typical of the better people who get involved with Rand's ideas.

In fact, I believe my frame is what most all the OL regulars think and feel--the important part in an issue like this is for those we love to be well and the rest be damned.

I might be wrong, but I don't think so.

Michael

Michael Stuart Kelly in post # 19 said:

Absolutely. For trying to find out whether the email is genuine was an indispensable first step to take.