BOW preview

caroljane

We know, we know. It's been a long time since we had a Best of the Week, but then guys, you haven't been all that good have you?

We will be back. Here is a teaser from the "Best Moderator" category

"But sexuality is not about preferring one sex or the other. That's the simple way to look at it."--

um, Unspellable from Oonline, it kind of is, and sometimes simple is best.

"But sexuality is not about preferring one sex or the other. That's the simple way to look at it."--

um, Unspellable from Oonline, it kind of is, and sometimes simple is best.

• 3 weeks later...

So much for previews. The committee have spent arduous days, well hours. Half hour, whatever, entering a Best of the Weeks and confidently hitting Post and seeing it evaporate from the face of the planet, so we will be issuing an Interim Awards bulletin and we will be taking our own sweet time about it. We're having staff problems, too. And the so-called rare roast beef in our sandwich is as grey as gravel and not much juicier..

Grumpily,

Committee

In due time, okay? When we're good and ready! If she calls again tell her we are overscheduled and a statement has been issued;;;God!

can't people just do their jobs....presuming to criticize a Committee of our credentials...can't understand the simplest thing...

I am not going to air your grievances in public and no, I am not going to fire you, not right now anyway, but you were hired because you seemed to fit in with the Mission Statement of the Committee and care about our Goals and I am assuming you still do and...come back here!..you still work for me until I say you don't and...WHAT did you say? ..How dare you... answer that phone right now..NO, I'll do it...don't move, don't you dare go anywhere....

Bacon recipes! I told you to report on Objectivist sites, not the Ladies Home Journal...what? Oh, Jesus. Look, that reminds me though, while you're here, call Papa's and order the bacon poutine, it's the Tuesday special sometimes it runs out early...

Breaking News -- reliable sources report that the Best Metaphor category has been awarded to Objectivist Living's PDS, Selene and WHYnot for their WW1 epic, "Rand through a Nietszche Filter." Insiders are saying that the Great War doesn't get greater than this.

Breaking News -- reliable sources report that the Best Metaphor category has been awarded to Objectivist Living's PDS, Selene and WHYnot for their WW1 epic, "Rand through a Nietszche Filter." Insiders are saying that the Great War doesn't get greater than this.

Thank'ee and ta, guv: Accepted on behalf of my fellow awardees who got stuck in the parking lot ('cos I went and locked 'em in the car, di'n I?)

Now, I 'd like to recite this in memoriam for a distant relative - a Tommy who did not return:

Good morning, good morning! the General said

As we met him last week on our way to the line.

Now the soldiers he smiled at

Are most of 'em dead,

And we're cursing his Staff for incompetent swine;

"He's a cheery old card", muttered Harry to Jack,

As they slogged up to Arras with rifle and pack.

(But he did for them both with his Plan of Attack.)

[siegfried Sassoon]

Thank'ee and ta, guv: Accepted on behalf of my fellow awardees who got stuck in the parking lot ('cos I went and locked 'em in the car, di'n I?)

Now, I 'd like to recite this in memoriam for a distant relative - a Tommy who did not return:

Good morning, good morning! the General said

As we met him last week on our way to the line.

Now the soldiers he smiled at

Are most of 'em dead,

And we're cursing his Staff for incompetent swine;

"He's a cheery old card", muttered Harry to Jack,

As they slogged up to Arras with rifle and pack.

(But he did for them both with his Plan of Attack.)

[siegfried Sassoon]

Laughed. Out. Loud. At the image of PDS and Adam rationally debating how best to get out of a locked car. Nearly wrote a screenplay.

Nearly cried at Sassoon, who died so poignantly at Armistice.

Sergeant, dear sergeant.. someday I'm going to murder the man who wakes the bugler up. But he can sleep in peace, here in a safe place, for now.

No debate at all. Steel toed boots shattering the nearest window. Exit.

Your literary knowledge sure is broad Carol. I might have known you'd be

sussed on Sassoon. Loved his stuff.

("Don't call me a broad!")

Anyhow, in the tradition of Award Ceremonies, I had to put in an anti-war protest.yy

Tony I am just a compulsive reader, I have suffered from "eye hunger " all my life and literally never have been able to be comfortable in any circumstance, where reading material is not to hand.

Sassoon, andOwen and Brooke were so brave and realistic and beautiful. And McCrae of course, the Lost Generation who gave themselves so entirely, that there could be another generation of their kith and kin behind them.

Futher to the last Tony, surely you must love

"I sing of Olaf, glad and big

Whose warmest heart recoiled at war

A conscientious objector

"Whose wellbeloved Colonel Trig...

I have forgotten the rest, except that Olaf

"did almost ceaselessly repeat,

There is some shit I will not eat."

The last lines I do remember.

"I sing of Olaf, Jesus, too.

Preponderatingly because

Unless statistics lie, he was

More brave than me, more blond than you."

I used to know the whole poem, and you know me, I will not take the time to look it up again. But I do remember the last lines. What a fine, fine poet was cummings.

Oh, of course. I forgot that naturally you would both be bringing your wives to the ceremony.

Ouch.

Oh, of course. I forgot that naturally you would both be bringing your wives to the ceremony.

Ouch.

That's what she said. So I've heard.

Thy tongue is as sharp cutting as my whip.

Ouch.

That's what she said. So I've heard.

Thy tongue is as sharp cutting as my whip

Not the whip! I haven;t been that bad. Surely I merit only a kindly scolding from a brotherly hand.

Again with the outcry...where did I put that duct tape again?

Again with the outcry...where did I put that duct tape again?

aha, we have got him at last. Duct tapel of course he is Canadian, all these years masquerading as an an American, luring innocent women into who knows what.

Shout out to Red Green, you will get your OBE this time for sure.

The CBS van is on its way,,alll together now.."but our good times are all gone, and I'md bound for moving on..."

Anyhow, in the tradition of Award Ceremonies, I had to put in an anti-war protest.yy

Tony I am just a compulsive reader, I have suffered from "eye hunger " all my life and literally never have been able to be comfortable in any circumstance, where reading material is not to hand.

Sassoon, andOwen and Brooke were so brave and realistic and beautiful. And McCrae of course, the Lost Generation who gave themselves so entirely, that there could be another generation of their kith and kin behind them.

Yep, no garret-poets were these men (Robert Graves, too). SS was insanely brave, eventually receiving the Military Cross. When convalescing once for 'shell-shock', he couldn't wait to get back to his men at the Front. Always openly scathing about the War, an MP read his letter to Parliament:

"I believe that the war upon which I entered as a war of defense and liberation has now become war of aggression and conquest."

So much the national hero, he could get away with criticism of the g'ment.

Makes you wonder that a conscientuous objector ("Conchies", so hated then in England) and a man of supreme courage may be the same thing sometimes.

Those war poets had more rationality and vision then the entire Army Command.

(Carol, did your eye hunger lead you to Pat Barker's excellent "Regeneration" Trilogy - in which SS and other poets play a central role - portraying the crude psychiatric treatment of soldiers in WW1?)

Yep, no garret-poets were these men (Robert Graves, too). SS was insanely brave, eventually receiving the Military Cross. When convalescing once for 'shell-shock', he couldn't wait to get back to his men at the Front. Always openly scathing about the War, an MP read his letter to Parliament:

"I believe that the war upon which I entered as a war of defense and liberation has now become war of aggression and conquest."

So much the national hero, he could get away with criticism of the g'ment.

Makes you wonder that a conscientuous objector ("Conchies", so hated then in England) and a man of supreme courage may be the same thing sometimes.

Those war poets had more rationality and vision then the entire Army Command.

(Carol, did your eye hunger lead you to Pat Barker's excellent "Regeneration" Trilogy - in which SS and other poets play a central role - portraying the crude psychiatric treatment of soldiers in WW1?)

No, but I have read Reginald Hill's "The Wood Beyond the World", a beautiful and heartbreaking book. Hill is an activist in the movement to remove the stain of treason from the WW1 soldiers who were shot for "cowardice". Even today, the British government will not acknowledge the futile stupidity of those military murders.

Hill is an activist in the movement to remove the stain of treason from the WW1 soldiers who were shot for "cowardice".

Dans ce pays-ci il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres.

Hill is an activist in the movement to remove the stain of treason from the WW1 soldiers who were shot for "cowardice".

Dans ce pays-ci il est bon de tuer de temps en temps un amiral pour encourager les autres.

Bien dit, mon brave.