Love in Bloom

Victor Pross

Angie, these are nice, happy photos. Great to see! Thanks for sharing them...and I'm happy things went so well. (Maybe I'll even have to reconsider my own prejudice against blind dating.)

By the way, I clicked on your other photographs and they are amazing!! Nature scenes, beach scenes, animals - these are just as good as professional quality photographs! Plus they have 'soul'.

Have you thought of doing this for a living? Or at least a sidelight. You could sell pictures like these to magazines. (Magazines are always in need of new photography.)

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil,

Wow, thank you for the wonderful compliment. I wasn't quite expecting that. *huge smile* I'm a bit at a loss for words. Thank you. I'm pretty new to this so working as a photographer as a career hasn't even crossed my mind. Right now I'm just getting acquainted with it and most of all having a lot of fun with it. I get totally absorbed in it. I enjoy it so much. As for the side, it's a possibility and selling some of the pictures. Believe it or not, it crossed my mind tonight after looking at some of the ones I uploaded tonight from Corona Del Mar, sunset pictures, etc. I'm still a bit at a loss for words. Wow, thank you for the compliment. It's very sweet of you !!

You know, you probably should reconsider the whole blind date thing :) You know, it really wasn't a blind date. hehehehe We had almost a year of getting to know each other, our personalities, our interests, and so forth, and we hit it off really well.

Girlie Girl,

Thank you also. Yeah, it's my effing "magic" camera, man !! LOL If you're not already into it, you should try it. It's a lot of fun. It's a tension reliever for me, especially with my work. Now when out and about, I'm more aware of colors, shading, how deep and rich a color is, lighting, angles, if something would be a good shot or not. hehehehe It's just a matter of time before I start dreaming of it. Hmmm.....Damn, I wonder if I gotta problem. LOL Nah, I'm having fun with it. Playing around like crazy and learning a lot. It is definitely something I will pursue. Still thinking of where I want to go next though. Actually was thinking about the Grand Canyon. LOL It's maybe a 4 or 5 hour drive. Chris has never been and know he would absolutely love it. Loves the outdoors. Hmmm.....just maybe !! :unsure::)

Edited by CNA

Angie,

Try it? I don't think so! I absolutely hate being the one to have to hold the camera. I also hate having one pointed at me. For example...graduation. God dammit, everybody was pointing a camera at me. I had a fake smile headache. Not that I wasn't happy, but I immediately quit smiling when a camera is pointed at me. It's just not natural...there's really nothing to smile at when a camera is pointed my way. Ya gotta catch me when I don't know you're there. LOL. But yeah, those pictures of yours are really great. Badass is the right term, if I remember correctly. :lol:

I think you and Chris will enjoy the Grand Canyon. It's really beautiful. My sister goes to college in Arizona, so my family and I went out there to visit before school started. My main problem with sites like the Grand Canyon is that there are so many people there! It makes it harder to enjoy the scenery when there is so much hustle and bustle. (Feels old for saying "hustle and bustle") :lol:

--Great Photography--

> Right now I'm just getting acquainted with it and most of all having a lot of fun with it. I get totally absorbed in it. I enjoy it so much.

Angie, it shows. The enjoyment is probably what gives it 'soul'. The time spent doing it in the way that is most satisfying makes pictures better. You seem to have an instinctive sense for how to frame your shots. The bird on the branch, the butterfly, the goose coming right at you are all perfectly posed. Your Niagara shots: You have a building in the foreground in many of them which gives the viewer a way to get comparative size. Your beach shots in which you manage to get the waves and the rocks and a pelican in the middle distance well-balanced. Your shot of Victor in darkness with the falls in the background is dramatic, almost an art shot. I got a sense of peace or serenity in looking at some of the lilac trees.

Everyone, go take a look at Angie's photos of Niagara, Corona Del Mar, and the nature photos. (With Victor's skill at caricature, you are probably now Objectivism's first artistic couple!!)

By the way, what kind of camera and zoom do you use?

Phil

Girlie Girl,

Oh, man, you so suck. You know, the posing for a camera doesn't produce the quality pictures versus the more natural shots. You can catch the true beauty of someone when it is done without their knowing it or just when they're in action as they normally are. I am in the same boat as you are. I don't particularly care for having my picture taken. It's like, get the damn thing out of my face. Yikes. Given my way younger years as you know and being exposed to that industry for a few years, I've grown to dislike having my picture taken. It's such a pain to get all the fakish aspects of it going and having to pose and smile, especially if the photo is being taken with a person or individuals you don't particularly care for. Yuck. It can be very draining and the cheeks and smile headaches are a pain. It's like, man, I can't smile anymore, my cheeks hurt, so take the damn picture and get it over with. OY At any rate, congrats on the graduation !! It's done and over with. I'm very proud of you for sticking with it.

Phil,

Eek, you got to use that word around me.....instinctive. I cringe at that thought. It's the same with using the word *feel* in place of the word *think* Another one that makes me cringe and avoid using it. You know how people will use the word such as "I *feel* he is a good...." Eeek. It is a pet peeve of mine and avoid using that word. It's not so much instinctive. It's a matter of sitting and waiting and watching and taking the picture when I think, that looks like a good shot and I might like it when downloaded to my computer. You go in knowing what type of pictures you would like to get. Some of the others are more along the lines of seeing an opportunity for a picture such as the pictures below, the opportunty is there, waiting and watching the screen on my camera and taking the picture at the right time. Obviously they'll take off flying eventually and might get a good picture if you can catch them at the right time.

541656275_68f411e316.jpg

540013954_63796c30b8.jpg

But Victor also said that it was an innate talent. hehehehe I do think it is something I have a knack for though, enjoy it so much, get totally absorbed into it. At that time, nothing else matters but being there, enjoying what is happening around me and watching and taking pictures. Just need to learn more and develop the skill.

Wow, you're asking questions about my camera and I'm still learning it, what everything is, etc. The terminology is rather interesting and still learning. Oh, man, LOL. Well, as for the type of camera, I am using a point and shoot, Kodak EasyShare Z612 Digital Camera. I'm not sure about all the technical terms yet but the optical zoom is 12x. Damn, I literally just learned that I can override the auto focus which is where I am having problems with close up shots. Hmm...perfect !! Wooohooo !! New feature to play with. :) There's been some close ups of insects, flowers, details, etc., that I wanted to get but couldn't because the auto focus sucks if you get too close. Ah, but since I just learned that I can switch it to manual focus, curious if I can get those types of pictures I want now. Will go out and play soon I am sure !! :) As for the geese and the close-ups, I didn't have to zoom in on them because they were about 6 inches from my face. There were 3 or 4 that were very friendly, showed no fear of me so I sat down in front of them with some bread and they got up close and personal.

I'm really glad that you like the pictures so much. It tickles me pink and brings a huge smile to my face. You're enjoying them as much as I enjoy taking them. Thank you !!

Everyone, go take a look at Angie's photos of Niagara, Corona Del Mar, and the nature photos.

Phil's right, Angie, you definitely have an eye for what makes a good photo. Good equipment helps a lot, but in the end it's artistry that distinguishes between snapshots and fine photos.

Welcome back from the honeymoon -- I'm glad to see it went so well!

Judith

Everyone, go take a look at Angie's photos of Niagara, Corona Del Mar, and the nature photos.

Phil's right, Angie, you definitely have an eye for what makes a good photo. Good equipment helps a lot, but in the end it's artistry that distinguishes between snapshots and fine photos.

Welcome back from the honeymoon -- I'm glad to see it went so well!

Judith

Hi Judith,

My god, I was wondering when you were going to come on the scene and post about meeting Victor. ;) Thank you. :) Yeah, it went really well and I miss him a whole bunch. I've been working so much since getting back so it's made it even harder. Hoping to get out there to be with him again here soon. Also thank you for the compliment about the photos. I want to go out again some place along the coast, maybe La Jolla, which isn't that far, maybe an hour from here but won't be able to go for a little while. Was thinking maybe next weekend if work goes the way I would like it to. Again thank you for posting and thank you for the compliment. :)

My god, I was wondering when you were going to come on the scene and post about meeting Victor.

Geez, I didn't realize I'd been missed. :) I haven't been around much online lately -- but I was definitely thinking about the two of you while you were visiting!

Judith

I'm glad things went well. I'm happy for you both.

Thanks also for the great photos. I just bought a digital camera and am trying to figure it all out and so photography tips are much appreciated. Since we have a few really good photographers around here (Jeffrey and Jenna included), maybe someone could start a thread on taking great pictures.

btw - any big plans???

Kat

Judith,

Yeah, you've been missed !! ;) Same here with not being online much. Work has been absolutely brutal lately. I've been on Flickr every once in a while uploading more "family" photos, etc., but outside of that and internet, nadda. Just don't have time right now.

Kat,

I would definitely be interested in a thread about photography, considering I am also still learning. I know both Jenna has been a photographer for quite some time and have seen exceptional photos of hers on her Flickr page. I think Jeffrey, if remembering correctly, posted some of his wildlife shots and those were absolutely amazing. The clarity, lighting, colors were phenomenal and very dramatic !! For me, I like all of it but I prefer photography of nature type scenes, wildlife, beaches, sunsets, flowers, so forth.

I know one thing I've noticed when taking photos is that the object you are taking a picture of looks better if it is offset to one side or the other rather than directly in the middle of the picture. If you offset the object, you can look at the backdrop, any type of scenery that will accent the photo and object, making it more dramatic. This isn't true in all cases but this is one thing I've noticed when taking pictures.

As for the thread, do you want to start it or I can? Whichever is fine with me. I'm definitely interested. I still have a lot to learn but the more I am playing around with it the more I am learning and having a lot of fun with it. Unfortunately haven't been able to get out. Just don't have any time right now to do much of anything. Oy. Hoping to get out some time this week or this weekend coming up. Also if you get a Flickr page, let me know so I can put you on my contact list. It's a way of keeping track of people, family, or friends and the photos they upload, etc. I get email notices when someone in my contact list uploads photos. But anyway, I had a pretty serious issue the other night with a group and some Flickr members unfortunately and some of my stuff is now restricted by my choice and only friends and family can view it, particularly photos of my son and my niece Kala. These photos are not available to the general public anymore. So if you want and if and when you get a Flickr page, let me know so I can add you.

As for the big plans with me and Victor, nothing big is planned. Taking things one step at a time. But things are going extremely well !! :)

Angie

Edited by CNA