Topic Rating

Some poster has been habitually rating topics with one star irrespective of content.

Since very few people ever rate topics and this one star rating makes interesting threads look like they are poor quality, I have disabled the ability to rate topics for everyone.

Later I'm going to try to figure out how to remove this thing altogether.

I just don't have the time to babysit a childish poster.

Michael

Good and essentially it is not necessary to rate any topics...hell this is not American Idol, it is a remarkably open discussion place that I, basically, love..

As I have mentioned previously, it is the only place on the internet that is worth my commitment of time and input.

So, keep it up Michael...

I would say FORWARD. However, it seems like the low self-esteem incompetent in the White House has expropriated that phrase.

Adam

Good and essentially it is not necessary to rate any topics...hell this is not American Idol, it is a remarkably open discussion place that I, basically, love..

As I have mentioned previously, it is the only place on the internet that is worth my commitment of time and input.

I would say FORWARD. However, it seems like the low self-esteem incompetent in the White House has expropriated that phrase.

Adam

I say NEUTRAL!

Adam

I say NEUTRAL!

Very nice...no commitment to drive or reverse...a semi strike ...love it!

Some poster has been habitually rating topics with one star irrespective of content.

Since very few people ever rate topics and this one star rating makes interesting threads look like they are poor quality, I have disabled the ability to rate topics for everyone.

Michael

Nutz!!!!

--Brant

not a confession

Michael

Nutz!!!!

--Brant

not a confession

Geez, Brant!

Tony would have corrected your spelling!

220px-Anthony_McAuliffe.jpg

Battle of the Bulge

In December 1944, when the German army launched the surprise Battle of the Bulge, Major General Maxwell D. Taylor, commander of the 101st Airborne Division, was away, attending a staff conference in the United States. In Taylor's absence, acting command of the 101st and its attached troops fell to McAuliffe. At Bastogne, the 101st was besieged by a far larger force of Germans under the command of General Heinrich Freiherr von Lüttwitz.

On December 22, 1944, through a party consisting of a major, a lieutenant, and two enlisted men under a flag of truce that entered the American lines southeast of Bastogne (occupied by Company F, 2nd Battalion, 327th Glider Infantry), General von Lüttwitz sent the following ultimatum to Gen. McAuliffe:

To the U.S.A. Commander of the encircled town of Bastogne.

The fortune of war is changing. This time the U.S.A. forces in and near Bastogne have been encircled by strong German armored units. More German armored units have crossed the river Our near Ortheuville, have taken Marche and reached St. Hubert by passing through Hompre-Sibret-Tillet. Libramont is in German hands.

There is only one possibility to save the encircled U.S.A. troops from total annihilation: that is the honorable surrender of the encircled town. In order to think it over a term of two hours will be granted beginning with the presentation of this note.

If this proposal should be rejected one German Artillery Corps and six heavy A. A. Battalions are ready to annihilate the U.S.A. troops in and near Bastogne. The order for firing will be given immediately after this two hours term.

All the serious civilian losses caused by this artillery fire would not correspond with the well-known American humanity.The German Commander.

220px-General_McAuliffe.jpg

magnify-clip.pngMcAuliffe square Bastogne

According to various accounts from those present, when McAuliffe was told of the German demand for surrender he said "nuts". At a loss for an official reply, Lt. Col. Harry Kinnard suggested that his first remark summed up the situation well, which was agreed to by the others. The official reply was typed and delivered by Colonel Joseph Harper, commanding the 327th Glider Infantry, to the German delegation. It was as follows:

To the German Commander.

NUTS!

The American Commander

Suffice it to say, the Germans were perplexed at the short reply. Harper offered an explanation of the meaning of the word to the Germans, telling them that in "plain English" it meant "Go to hell."[3] The word choice came directly from McAuliffe and was typical for him. Vincent Vicari, his personal aide at the time, recalled that "General Mac was the only general I ever knew who did not use profane language. 'Nuts' was part of his normal vocabulary."[4]