Is space nothing?

jts

Completely empty space means there is no space. Something in space defines a space but its existence is purely epistemological. You can't move space around or modify it in any way. An expanding universe is not expanding into space it is creating space which it only a measurement of distance and what's in it. Time is just a measurement of motion--of something. No matter what you do with space, time and space-time those are all and only in your head.

--Brant

the layman strikes, can't swim, blub, blub, blub

The same mathematical object which describes matter and radiation (a tensor field) is also used to describe the shape of spacetime. There is no reason to believe that one is any more or less real than the other. It is not possible to eliminate the metric tensor (the tensor that describes spacetime) from the field equations of General Relativity. You need both in order to make sense of gravity.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

General Relativity treats the space-time manifold as substantial. That is why space-time can be bent or stretched.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Completely empty space means there is no space. Something in space defines a space but its existence is purely epistemological. You can't move space around or modify it in any way. An expanding universe is not expanding into space it is creating space which it only a measurement of distance and what's in it. Time is just a measurement of motion--of something. No matter what you do with space, time and space-time those are all and only in your head.

--Brant

The same mathematical object which describes matter and radiation (a tensor field) is also used to describe the shape of spacetime. There is no reason to believe that one is any more or less real than the other. It is not possible to eliminate the metric tensor (the tensor that describes spacetime) from the field equations of General Relativity. You need both in order to make sense of gravity.

I have no opinion on any Relativity theory except what if they aren't true?

--Brant

bending things that don't exist?

today's gravity sense tomorrow's no sense?

--Brant

--Brant

There's actually a pretty neat argument for why spacetime must be curved.

Suppose that there are two observers that start falling toward the Earth in parallel lines. They will tend to approach each other as they both fall towards the center. Now, since observers in free-fall are inertial, then they must be traveling along straight lines locally. But since they must meet at the center, then this means that two parallel and straight lines will eventually intersect. Therefore, spacetime cannot be Euclidean.

--Brant

today's gravity sense tomorrow's no sense

In the mean time your GPS will tell you where you are to within ten meters.

--Brant

You deleted my question mark from the quotation.

GPS is theory confirmation. So far. Maybe it will come to confirm a different, better, theory.

Planetary orbits confirm Newton, or once did.

--Brant

but at least he was good to within "ten meters."

--Brant

You deleted my question mark from the quotation.

GPS is theory confirmation. So far. Maybe it will come to confirm a different, better, theory.

--Brant

but at least he was good to within "ten meters."

--Brant

Maybe. But the theory has to actually exist before it can be confirmed.

-

Newton got the precession of the precession of the perihelion of Mercury wrong from the git-go

Ba'al Chatzaf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

let's go to the references!

Way above my pay grade:

http://hiup.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/1367405491-Haramein342013PRRI3363.pdf

I'm gonna need a heft dose of DMT to grok this..

What is DMT.

Hyperbole? Self-aggrandizement? Yes.

Be sure to let us know when a working quantum gravity theory is corroborated. It would be good news if someone found the graviton. No one has done it yet.

Ba'al Chatzaf

What is DMT.

Enlighten yourself Bob:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiqzHzAx4ro

Intuition in a grain of easily available plants....

What is this???? The bullshit hour? I will not spend an hour on pure dreck. There is no spirit so there is certainly no spirit molecule. All there is is matter and energy in time and space. The Universe is physical right down to the basement level.

Ba'al Chatzaf

What is DMT.

Enlighten yourself Bob:

What is this???? The bullshit hour? I will not spend an hour of pure dreck. There is no spirit so there is certainly no spirit molecule. All there is is matter and energy in time and space. The Universe is physical right down to the basement level.

Ba'al Chatzaf

It's just a hallucinogen.

What is DMT.

Enlighten yourself Bob:

What is this???? The bullshit hour? I will not spend an hour on pure dreck. There is no spirit so there is certainly no spirit molecule. All there is is matter and energy in time and space. The Universe is physical right down to the basement level.

Ba'al Chatzaf

Such hostility! Why is that Bob?

The documentary is replete with mature, intelligent professionals, 90% of whom have Doctorates in their respective fields. Hardly dreck. They may or may not be correct, but they shouldn't be dismissed out of hand. Why the tantrum Bob? Why not watch and learn? Do you feel threatened?

What is DMT.

Enlighten yourself Bob:

What is this???? The bullshit hour? I will not spend an hour of pure dreck. There is no spirit so there is certainly no spirit molecule. All there is is matter and energy in time and space. The Universe is physical right down to the basement level.

Ba'al Chatzaf

It's just a hallucinogen.

Technically, no.

It is in a class of its own.

Take it from someone who has sampled the cornucopia