HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

She is a tough mistress and I join you all in thanking her, wishing her many more birthdays and saying thanks to all four of my grandparents who had the courage and individual desire to be free.

They left all they new for a chance to be free.

A...

From the great man who could sing the phone book...

The man who avoided military service in WWII so he could be a heart-throb to the girls left behind as their boyfriends fought and died and he could earn $200,000. But he eventually re-popularized himself with the males of his generation, including the mafia types he liked to hang with.

--Brant

The man who avoided military service in WWII so he could be a heart-throb to the girls left behind as their boyfriends fought and died and he could earn $200,000. But he eventually re-popularized himself with the males of his generation, including the mafia types he liked to hang with.

--Brant

My commentary was about his vocal brilliance not his personal choices.

--Brant

Outstanding. And his physical stylization as he sang. There was no room for improvement except in his own mind which he was constantly on about. I only said what I did off the title of the song he did you put up.

--Brant

he was so good you couldn't imagine better (unless you were whole hog obsessed with Mario Lanza)

Fair enough. 

No Mario Lanza fan here.

Here is something outstanding and frankly, pretty brilliant blend of art, perspective and technology...

--Brant

Outstanding. And his physical stylization as he sang. There was no room for improvement except in his own mind which he was constantly on about. I only said what I did off the title of the song he did you put up.

--Brant

he was so good you couldn't imagine better (unless you were whole hog obsessed with Mario Lanza)

From the Other Place, a bitter and sinister Happy Birthday, Suckers!

Key words: banning of the American flag, lobotomised OrgOism, Islamo dirty bomb, Roar of Randian Repugnance; stinking, stupid, savage, superstitious sacrifism; imminent Goblian theocracy, Ascendancy of Airheadery, Cult of Obamarx. Islamogoblinism, facile July 4 tokenism ...

The bitter crank-in-chief wishes that the dirty bomb first destroy Organized Objectivism.
On this belated note, I must say America has a lot to be proud of, notably its material and intellectual riches. It is an attractive place the world over (except in Turkey and Russia and North Korea at the moment). Long may America be a beacon to the peoples of the world.

• 2 weeks later...

This year I hope to be again at my hometown for the International Festival, when we walk across the bridge with no ID and drink deeply of chea;p American beer and stagger back across the bridge full of goodwill.

I have a photo from the local paper of my father and the American chief border officer, clinking coffee cups in the middloe of that bridge at an anniversary of our founding as neighbours.

America has always been to me my friends and relatives and yet a foreign country, beloved but unknowble, and it always will.