Gun Control

I can't like the pic. I understand the captions make it a whole package you are referring to. In that sense I didn't like the movie about the Polish train engineer who drove trains of Jews to their deaths. I think of these as distasteful but necessary memes. Even more distasteful would be a Holocaust museum, but I'll visit when I go to Washington next. I was going to watch a TV show about the Holocaust in the very early 1960s, but my step-Mother forbade it.

--Brant

Buried?

The effective sign on a home in a high crime neighborhood I heard about was, "There is nothing in this house worth your life". There may have been an NRA sticker too.

To dog leg this a bit, I was once told about a valuable sports car parked for days on a street in Queens, NY in a bad neighborhood and no one would touch it, not even the police. No one parked on this street it was so bad. It belonged to some big bad-ass drug dealer if not gang leader too and everyone knew it and the cops were probably on the take. These were Chinese, not blacks or Hispanics. There are a lot of Chinese gangs in Queens, but they tend to be somewhat circumspect. The guy who told me was an illegal Chinese from Hong Kong trying to find his fortune in America. He knew Kung Fu. He trained with someone who once trained Bruce Lee. Three Anglos tried to mug him and he took them all down. Unfortunately, the Chinese gangs found out what he did and tried to recruit him, so he had to leave Queens for the suburbs. He told me wherever he worked something real bad happened to the owner of the business, usually a restaurant. He couldn't say why. I last saw him in 1989. I hope he went back to Hong Kong, for there he could have made his fortune. He had both a Chinese name and an Americanized name. He also told me there were two kinds of Chinese food in any good New York Chinese restaurant. One kind was only sold to the Chinese and I really didn't want that. I imagined chicken heads floating in my soup.

--Brant

get a dog, a dog that barks

Imagine a successful protest in Berlin 1943 against the Holocaust. Between February 27 and March 6, about 200 German women stood outside a detainment center, demanding the release of their Jewish husbands. Between March 1 and March 12, although 25 were sent to Auschwitz, about 2,000 prisoner were let go. Soon, they were picked up again, but sent to work in labor camps in Berlin and other cities where they lived out the war.

http://necessaryfacts.blogspot.com/2015/05/peace-is-more-powerful.html

Military organization has its strengths. Every job is defined, regardless of who performs it. Grade and rank place everyone within a known hierarchy. Also, military organization is common. You could pluck someone off the street in Buenos Aires, and insert them in a job in police precinct in Beijing, and they would figure it all out pretty quickly. So, the military model serves a purpose. But armies are not necessarily synonymous with warfare.

http://necessaryfacts.blogspot.com/2015/05/armies-without-weapons.html