Subsuming Islam: Bring it on!

syrakusos

Consider this

and this

When Gravity Fails by George Alex Effinger Wikipedia here.

When the so-called barbarians ruled the Roman empire, they put an ended to slavery. Germanic law included "morganatic rights" which allowed a woman to say that she was dissatisfied on her wedding night and she was keeping her dowery. No Roman woman of the glorious Old Republic had that right. In Spain of the Visigoths, if a women was raped, she could accuse her attacker and if he was found guilty, she could flog him herself or have a substitute do it for her. Again, show the equivalent in the classical Greek or Roman world.

So, too, must we consider the inevitable spread of Islam in Europe and America. And ultimately that will erode the Islamist strain. In Cairo 1600 four different schools of Sharia Law competed for the business of merchants. See here.

I look to India. India absorbed every one of her conquerors, from the Aryans to the Moghuls to the British. Indeed, one of my friends asked me if I were "Eye-talian." No, I replied. Sicily is an island; Italy is a peninsula. They are different places. "What language do they speak?" he asked. I said that they speak the language of the conqueror as do all people. "But what is their ethnicity" he insisted. I replied: Greek in the East; Carthaginian in the West.

For one thing, talk defines business reputation, as at the Iowa City cocktail party. A market economy looks forward and therefore depends on trust. The persuasive talk that establishes trust is necessary for doing much business, and is why co-religionists or coethnics deal so profitably with each other. Avner Greif has explored the business dealings of Mediterranean Jews in the Middle Ages, accumulating evidence for a reputational conversation. In 1055 one Abun ben Zedaka of Jerusalem, for example, "was accused (though not charged in court) of embezzling the money of a Maghribi trader. When word of this accusation reached other Maghribi traders, merchants as far away Sicily canceled their agency relations with him." Reputational gossip, Greif notes, was cheap, "a by-product of the commercial activity [itself] and passed along with other commercial correspondence." A letter from Palermo to an Alexandrian merchant who had disappointed the writer said, "Had I listened to what people say, I never would have entered into a partnership with you." With such information, cheating was profitless within the community.

-- Deirdre McCloskey "Bourgeois Virtue"

In the so-called "Dark Ages" of Europe King Offa of Mercia in England struck a remarkable series of coins in imitation of gold dinars known from Arab/Muslim lands.

In the 10th century CE, Gerbert d'Aurilliac studied mathematics, philosophy, and astronomy in Islamic Spain before becoming Pope Sylvester II. Galileo's work would have been welcomed in that social context.

What happens when a little animal swallows a big animal?

What happens when a little animal swallows a big animal?

Taking a shit has a new and different meaning.