PARC is Out of Print

Robert Campbell

PARC is no longer being sold by the Ayn Rand Bookstore. A search on "Valliant" turns up only his old video about Leonard Peikoff. A search on the book's title turns up nothing at all.

Robert Campbell

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PARC is no longer being sold by the Ayn Rand Bookstore. A search on "Valliant" turns up only his old video about Leonard Peikoff. A search on the book's title turns up nothing at all.

Robert Campbell

Damn! Why now? The book makes such a great stocking stuffer!!!

BTW, I thought you'd stopped posting here, where did I read that...oh yeah, Phil said it was because of the dismissive one-liners. I figured you were just busy with other things, but Phil, well Phil's always got the inside dope on other people's motives.

http://www.objectivi...ndpost&p=148097

Good to see you Robert... so I guess you got my bribe in the mail and the welcome back directive...

I figured you were just busy with other things, but Phil, well Phil's always got the inside dope on other people's motives.

ND,

I was busy indeed with other things. Such as working on a book on jazz history, helping Chris Sciabarra get the Journal of Ayn Rand Studies back on schedule...

I got to the post from Phil that you linked, and had to unignore it to see what it said. I haven't heard from Phil in a couple of years, so how would he know?

Robert Campbell

Robert Campbell

Robert,

I searched on the ARI site and came up with an entry for the book. See here and scroll to the bottom. But if you click the "buy now" button, it goes to an empty page at The Ayn Rand Bookstore. I tried the search function there and I got the same lack of results you did.

PARC is one piece of Objectivist trash that is dying a well-deserved intellectual death. And Valliant is getting his due discredit for being such a dishonest and incompetent bonehead.

What's worse, go look at the Amazon reviews (there are 45 as of right now, see here). PARC serves as an instrument to throw all the true believers in stark relief as unthinking zombie-like cultists, since the only people making gushes about the book are these same staunch fundamentalist types.

Everybody else, from non-fundamentalist Rand lovers to Rand haters and everyone in-between, complain about how bad the book is.

No one needs to out the O-cultists. They outed themselves--and their snarks and gushes convinced no one.

But it looks like the fundies are beginning to see that you can't turn off your brain like that to promote the irrational hatred of ex-insiders and remain credible with the public at large.

Michael

But it looks like the fundies are beginning to see that you can't turn off your brain like that to promote the irrational hatred of ex-insiders and remain credible with the public at large.

Michael

Michael:

I hate to go out on a limb, but maybe it has something to do with objective reality?

You am/are/is, therefore you think...

Adam

would love to meet Valiant in a dark alley with my night vision glasses!

Michael

Michael:

I hate to go out on a limb, but maybe it has something to do with objective reality?

You am/are/is, therefore you think...

Adam

would love to meet Valiant in a dark alley with my night vision glasses!

Whose project was that book anyway Did the ARI hire him to write it ?

Subject: Distortion and Oversimplification

> Makes me and others really eager to continue throwing good long posts after dismissive one-liners. [Phil]

> Also helps explain why Roger Bissell, Jim Heaps-Nelson, Robert Campbell, Barbara Branden, Ted Keer and others who like to explore issues in depth and used to post quite often very seldom post here any more. [Phil]

> Phil's always got the inside dope on other people's motives. [ND]

> I haven't heard from Phil in a couple of years, so how would he know? [Robert C]

> He probably used his "largeness of mind." [Jonathan]

In order to convert helps explain and the reference to several people to explains and a reference to one person, I guess you guys used your "smallness of mind", hmmm? <_<

As well as your ability to come up with yet more dismissive one-liners.

To answer Daunce's question in #133: No, I don't think ARI actually commissioned Valliant, but they let him into the archives knowing they could trust him to toe the line. Similarly they set no explicit terms for Paxton when he made his movie.

• 1 month later...

I agree that Mr. Valliant's opus is in no way an Ayn Rand Institute project.

It was a project personally sponsored by Leonard Peikoff. Since Peikoff is the Estate of Ayn Rand, the Archives have to cooperate with anyone who enjoys his sponsorship.

Robert Campbell

• 2 months later...

PARC remains out of print.

If you want a new copy, you'll have to cough up $90 at a rare books site.

Today's Amazon sales rank: #1,186,487 in Books.

Robert Campbell

I will sell my copy to the first comer at 89 bucks (US, which today works out to 88 Canucki piastres). Has tears stains, and the occasional pencilled-in Are You Insane?

small-logo.png

WSS,

How many times did you pencil in "Are you insane?"

You might have to deduct a little bit from your asking price ;)

Robert Campbell

PS. There's no knocking Canucki piastres, when they're trading at more than parity to the US dollar.

This is bad news for the Premise Checkers. Their ambitious plan of distribution free PARCs along with Atlas Shruggeds will be delayed. I can't see the ARI coughing up for reprints.

WSS,

How many times did you pencil in "Are you insane?"

You might have to deduct a little bit from your asking price ;)

Robert Campbell

PS. There's no knocking Canucki piastres, when they're trading at more than parity to the US dollar.

I overestimated the markings. Lots of turned down pages, lots of !!!s, and a few OMGAYFKs ... no actual "R U Nutz" annotations (though I will add them in if asked).

According to the Bank of Canada's closing rates, $100.00 Cdn gets you $96.42 US.

7129211887_c35c5efaa0_o.jpg

-- this is our newest Plastic Currency, just entering circulation ... as you may not know, the Bank decided to stop producing pennies ... apparently the Canadian hoard of pennies now weighs more that the combined weight of all of us. Begone, foul copper-coated nickel plug!

Remember, Valliant fanatics -- one of these:

5852863452_d895087fb5_o.jpg

Gets you one of these ...

otrg.png

Edited by william.scherk

OK, close to parity to the US dollar.

Still no tribute to Ben Bernanke...

The Oz dollar is close to parity as well. Not so long ago, it was around 60 US cents.

Robert Campbell

I have a vintage copy of the Ominous Parallels which is in perfect condition except for the first page.

Daunce you are a mean-spirited Kantian, and you would know this if you had read/skimmed past that first page.

I have a vintage copy of the Ominous Parallels which is in perfect condition except for the first page.

Daunce you are a mean-spirited Kantian, and you would know this if you had read/skimmed past that first page.

I already knew it. Cogito ergo skimmo.

Can anyone remember where Peikoff said that Kant envisioned the Nazi gas chambers? He forsaw it all, approvingly, and even wrote the Critique of Pure Reason with an eye to bringing it about. Was it in The Ominous Parallels? I seem to recall it most vividly from a question period, but I think he's said it more than once.