The Emotonomicon

william.scherk

Emotion  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Which are Basic Emotions?

HINT: the blanks in the illustration can help you discover your wrong answers. If ANGER is correct (as a basic emotion as judged by Plutchik) then RAGE is wrong.

Since I have put Phil on ignore and do not know if he has answered the poll questions correctly or followed directions or if he is talking to me, please let me know when he decides to play the game. Thanks.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did it, picking 6 of the choices, then started reading the thread and saw that WSS specified that 8 should be chosen. I went back and did it again, and picked:

Anger

Fear

Sadness

Disgust

Guilt

Expectation

Surprise

Happiness

Now, what's a "Basic" emotion? I don't get the point. I see now that "Joy" is one of the right answers, but I picked Happiness to cover that base.

I did it, picking 6 of the choices, then started reading the thread and saw that WSS specified that 8 should be chosen. I went back and did it again, and picked:

Anger

Fear

Sadness

Disgust

Guilt

Expectation

Surprise

Happiness

Now, what's a "Basic" emotion?

I will recalculate if you have added your answers to the poll. Otherwise, all I can tell you is that you have three answers wrong.

I will wrap it up for tonight, but here are the final scores from the board (the Poll)

Ba'al was the only person to give eight answers. He got five right, three wrong.

Adam gave nine answers. He got five right, four wrong.

Phil gave six answers. He got five right and one wrong.

Carol gave five answers, four correct, 1 wrong.

Jonathan appears on the board, but is disqualified for writing in grey. I cannot read pencil.

NB, do not get hung up on any term -- especially 'basic.' The rule-of-thumb is only meant to distinguish mixed emotion or more complex emotions from their constituents.

The uses of the colour wheel might be good way to approach it. Colour, hue, tone, intensity, saturation, etcetera. If from Blue, Red and Yellow we can paint any colour, any tone, any shade, then what are the basic 'colours' of the emotions?

As Carol has noted in angry letters to the Magistrate, this is entirely arbitrary. No emotion can be tied to a particular colour or shade with any rigour.

Note, however, that if one mixed Colour A and Colour B, say yellow and red, one gets a blend -- in this case Orange. If lemon was anger and Angry Bird Yellow was Rage, and if dark cerulean was sadness, then what colour value is Frustration?

Are there basic or simple or pure or primary emotions that when mixed or blended form a recognizable emotion too? Perhaps. Perhaps one of Ba'al,s favourite emotional expressions, Shadenfreude, can be found on a palette once mixed from primaries.

I hope not.

Edited by william.scherk

I will recalculate if you have added your answers to the poll. Otherwise, all I can tell you is that you have three answers wrong.

Far as I know my answers went in. I sure hope there's some kind of payoff for this, it's awfully tedious.

BTW, what's with the red flower avatar? Are you favoring the Lancastrians?

Far as I know my answers went in. I sure hope there's some kind of payoff for this, it's awfully tedious.

BTW, what's with the red flower avatar? Are you favoring the Lancastrians?

I think he is in part honouring one of the most infuential poems of the 20th century. I've just commented on it - adventitious much!

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

read only after making your choices if you chose to chose those to be choooooooosen

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

I chose eight and got eight without referring to anybody else's answers. I used the principle that a non-basic emotion had to be reactive to (an) existential particular(s). I may have had an advantage of knowing to choose eight. I was the only one to choose one, I think it was anticipation.

--Brant

edit: no, it wasn't anticipation, it was expectation: Phil also got anticipation right and if he had thought it a little more through he would have chosen expectation for what I presume would have been the same reason--I do think early takers were at a disadvantage and would have done better if informed of some previous resulters' aggregated results as I was for I asked myself why they hadn't done better?

I actually think all emotions are basic and reactive--that "basic emotion" is a redundancy. You can generate an emotion merely by thinking about something a certain way. Actors--some, not all--do this all the time. It's called "The Method." There's your "basic." Now if someone sneaks up behind you and kicks you in the ass and you experience rage and anger why are they any less "basic"? You can twist this around and posit the opposite, that these so-called "basic" emotions are jejune compared to the existentially triggered and that the latter are really the true, hard, basic, emotions.

--Brant

It's interesting that envy is not on the list. Envy seems to be jealousy, a pure emotion, plus an intellectualization. I'm not running to reference material on this and would be curious to know what others' might think using only introspection.

--Brant

the word in the orange slice is, of course, beer--I need some chips

Where is curiosity on the list? Curiosity is one of the main drivers of human behavior.

It's interesting that envy is not on the list. Envy seems to be jealousy, a pure emotion, plus an intellectualization. I'm not running to reference material on this and would be curious to know what others' might think using only introspection.

--Brant

the word in the orange slice is, of course, beer--I need some chips

Oh alright, I'll get them this time. I suppose you're tired after spearing that mastodon.

A psychologist, a philosopher and a Time Lord walked into a bar. One was curious, one was scared, one was thirsty....

...and the other was yellow!

I am curious yellow! <<<<Anyone know that reference...lol

I notice from the poll that no Objectivists have voted for "submission". (just sayin'...)

A psychologist, a philosopher and a Time Lord walked into a bar. One was curious, one was scared, one was thirsty....

...and the other was yellow!

I am curious yellow! <<<<Anyone know that reference...lol

Well, I guess there were no takers on the origination of ...I Am Curious, (Yellow).

Here are some last hints. It was a movie. It was foreign. And...it was really bizarre!

Adam

I notice from the poll that no Objectivists have voted for "submission". (just sayin'...)

Submission is an action, not an emotion.

Ba'al Chatzaf

We now have one person who has correctly identified the 'basic' emotions. This doesn't mean the exam is over, not by any means. It could be joyous to see latecomers fall down the same set of stairs all of us already lost our footing on. Maybe that is what Schadenfreude 'feels' like, if it feels like anything different from watching your neighbour get crushed under the garbage truck or crash his way down a long flight of stairs. I don't think it's safe to ask Bob, because he voted for Hate and Shame alongside Love. Just because he and I both volunteer for seniors -- that doesn't mean anything. <p>.</p> <p>.</p> <p></p> <table style="border: 1px solid black; border-collapse: collapse; height: 425px; width: 429px;"> <caption class="MYTABLE"><span style="font-weight: bold;">Plutchik's 8 Primary Emotions</span><br> <br> </caption> <thead><tr class="MYTABLE"> <th style="width: 124px;" class="MYTABLE"><br> </th> <th style=" text-align: center; font-weight: bold; width: 48px;" class="MYTABLE">Jon.</th> <th style=" text-align: center; font-weight: bold;width: 33px;" class="MYTABLE">PC</th> <th style=" text-align: center; font-weight: bold; width: 35px;" class="MYTABLE">AS</th> <th style=" text-align: center; font-weight: bold; width: 64px;" class="MYTABLE">BC</th> <th style=" text-align: center; font-weight: bold; width: 36px;" class="MYTABLE">BG</th> <th style=" text-align: center; font-weight: bold; width: 35px;" class="MYTABLE">DL</th> </tr> </thead> <tbody> <tr class="MYTABLE"> <td style="width: 124px; background-color: rgb(212, 248, 221);" class="MYTABLE">ANTICIPATION</td> <td class="MYTABLE" style="width: 48px; text-align: center;"><big>1</big></td> <td style="text-align: center; width: 33px;" class="MYTABLE">1</td> <td style="text-align: center; width: 35px;" class="MYTABLE"> </td> <td style="text-align: center; width: 64px;" class="MYTABLE"> </td> <td style="text-align: center; width: 36px;" class="MYTABLE">1</td> <td style="text-align: center; width: 35px;" class="MYTABLE"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top; background-color: rgb(212, 248, 221);">SADNESS<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 48px;"><big>1</big></td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 33px;">1</td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;">1</td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 64px;">1</td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 36px;">1</td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;">1</td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top; background-color: rgb(212, 248, 221);">JOY<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 48px;"><big>1<br> </big></td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 33px;">1<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;">1<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 64px;">1<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 36px;">1<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;"><br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">HOPE<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 48px;"><big><br> </big></td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 33px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px; background-color: red;"> <br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 64px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 36px; background-color: red;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;"><br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">LOVE<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 48px;"><big><br> </big></td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 33px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px; background-color: red;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 64px; background-color: red;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 36px; background-color: red;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;"><br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">EXPECTATION<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 48px;"><big><br> </big></td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 33px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 64px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 36px; background-color: red;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;"><br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top; background-color: rgb(212, 248, 221);">SURPRISE<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 48px;"><big>1<br> </big></td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 33px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;">1<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 64px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 36px;">1<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;">1<br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">HAPPINESS<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 48px;"><big><br> </big></td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 33px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px; background-color: red;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 64px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 36px; background-color: red;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px; background-color: red;"><br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top; background-color: rgb(212, 248, 221);">ANGER<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 48px;"><big>1<br> </big></td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 33px;">1<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;">1<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 64px;">1<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 36px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;"><br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">HATE<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 48px;"><big><br> </big></td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 33px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px; background-color: red;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 64px; background-color: red;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 36px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;"><br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">SHAME<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 48px;"><big><br> </big></td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 33px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 64px; background-color: red;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 36px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;"><br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top; background-color: rgb(212, 248, 221);">FEAR<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 48px;"><big>1<br> </big></td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 33px;">1<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;">1<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 64px;">1<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 36px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;"><br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;">RAGE<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 48px;"><big><br> </big></td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 33px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 64px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 36px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;"><br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top; background-color: rgb(212, 248, 221);">DISGUST<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 48px;"><big>1<br> </big></td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 33px;">1<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 64px;">1<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 36px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;">1<br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top; background-color: rgb(212, 248, 221);">TRUST/ACCEPTANCE <br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 48px;"><big>1<br> </big></td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 33px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 64px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 36px;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 35px;">1<br> </td> </tr> <tr> <td style="vertical-align: top;"><br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; width: 48px; font-weight: bold;"><big>8<br> </big></td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; font-weight: bold; width: 33px;">6<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; font-weight: bold; width: 35px;">5<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; font-weight: bold; width: 64px;">5<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; font-weight: bold; width: 36px;">4<br> </td> <td style="vertical-align: top; text-align: center; font-weight: bold; width: 35px;">4<br> </td> </tr> </tbody> </table> <br> <br>

Edited by william.scherk

I was sure I put fear! as president of the Canadian League of Cowards it was my first pick. And one person's happiness is another person's joy.

Angrily,

Carol

That's the last time I go out to fetch snacks before an important test.

> I notice from the poll that no Objectivists have voted for "submission". (just sayin'...)

> Submission is an action, not an emotion.

Baal, I was making a joke. :cool:

> I notice from the poll that no Objectivists have voted for "submission". (just sayin'...)

> Submission is an action, not an emotion.

Baal, I was making a joke. :cool:

And surely laughing at something funny must be basic to human nature. Where would this feeling fit in the chart?