What Would Howard Roark Say About This Office Building?

Selene

Now there is a great room...wonder how they handled the background "noise" issue...

272CC64800000578-0-image-a-94_1427837064

Looks like a great place to relax before and after work...

272BED7200000578-0-image-m-85_1427835674

Mark explained that:

He wrote: 'Our goal was to create the perfect engineering space for our teams to work together.

'We wanted our space to create the same sense of community and connection among our teams that we try to enable with our services across the world.

To do this, we designed the largest open floor plan in the world - a single room that fits thousands of people.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3020478/Facebook-unveils-new-Silicon-Valley-office-nine-acre-PARK-roof-2-800-people-work-one-huge-room.html#ixzz3W4rIftuP

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3020478/Facebook-unveils-new-Silicon-Valley-office-nine-acre-PARK-roof-2-800-people-work-one-huge-room.html

Now there is a great room...wonder how they handled the background "noise" issue...

272CC64800000578-0-image-a-94_1427837064

Looks like a great place to relax before and after work...

272BED7200000578-0-image-m-85_1427835674

Mark explained that:

He wrote: 'Our goal was to create the perfect engineering space for our teams to work together.

'We wanted our space to create the same sense of community and connection among our teams that we try to enable with our services across the world.

To do this, we designed the largest open floor plan in the world - a single room that fits thousands of people.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3020478/Facebook-unveils-new-Silicon-Valley-office-nine-acre-PARK-roof-2-800-people-work-one-huge-room.html#ixzz3W4rIftuP

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3020478/Facebook-unveils-new-Silicon-Valley-office-nine-acre-PARK-roof-2-800-people-work-one-huge-room.html

It is Good to be Rich.

It is Good to be Rich.

You really think that Howard Roark's persona as operated by Ayn would have said that?

By the way Bob, there is a study just released that I haven't seen yet that has found a section of the brain that "lights up" when a person smiles and it does not "light up" in the autistic brain.

Which harkens back to your revelatory description of not being able to "read the emotions" on folks faces.

A...

On the strength of the information here, I suspect that he'd say "this is what the client wants; it's an interesting visual and acoustical challenge." Then he'd get to work. Part of the work would be getting the client to accept the solution he came up with.

We'll have to see photos and, a year or so from now, testimony from people who'd worked there in order to see how well or badly the building solves these problems.

On the strength of the information here, I suspect that he'd say "this is what the client wants; it's an interesting visual and acoustical challenge." Then he'd get to work. Part of the work would be getting the client to accept the solution he came up with.

We'll have to see photos and, a year or so from now, testimony from people who'd worked there in order to see how well or badly the building solves these problems.

Agreed.

I am attempting to consider how one could efficiently handle 2,800 folks moving, breathing and talking.

Just the electronic fields that are humming away at a sub-sonic level would create a dynamism that could overwhelm a single persons work area.

A...

Wright's 1936 Johnson Wax building in Racine has a huge main workroom that, however beautiful, was horrendously noisy in its first several decades, in part because of a slab concrete floor (the better to show off Johnson's flagship product) and in part because of mechanical typewriters. When desktop workstations came in the company had to jackhammer channels in the slab for conduits, and they covered the floor over with carpeting, much to everybody's relief.

It is Good to be Rich.

You really think that Howard Roark's persona as operated by Ayn would have said that?

By the way Bob, there is a study just released that I haven't seen yet that has found a section of the brain that "lights up" when a person smiles and it does not "light up" in the autistic brain.

Which harkens back to your revelatory description of not being able to "read the emotions" on folks faces.

A...

No. Roark would not have said that. I would say that...

I like the wall. That will keep the Vikings from ransacking. Up around DC on the major beltways there are walls to keep the sounds of traffic and some of the fumes from ruining their day. In the seventies a lot of communities had guard posts but few are now manned.

Here in the country we plant trees for beauty and protection. Occasionally a county tractor with an attached bushhog goes by cutting weeds which is very noisy and the cut grass smell is stronger than when I cut my own grass. I have a field next to me and across the street that usually have corn or soybeans planted and while the tractors are disking it is noisy and smelly. Oh, and in February or March the farmers put down chicken manure, and we hope it will soon rain or the wind direction will change. Still, I prefer the local nuisances to city nuisances.

Dagnabbit,

Grandpa from the Real McCoys.

I like the wall.

OK Amos, however what do you think Roark would have said about Zuckerberg's [? ] building.

A...