The Trouble with AGW

If there is any alleged causation between man-made CO2 and global temperatures, then I would welcome seeing correlation coefficients. I'd also expect they would be based on some measure of CO2 as an independent variable and some temperature measure as a dependent variable. The frequency of each measurement and the total time studied would be well-defined. Of course, the times for CO2 would need to precede those for temperature to make a prima facie case for a causal connection. I did a Google search and read a little at the hits below the ad and images. From what I read, they refer to correlation, but don't cite numbers. Numerically "no correlation" is, say, between -0.2 and +0.2. (I am not aware of any widely accepted range that precise.) All sites I looked at are contra-alarmist. Have any alarmists presented correlation coefficients?

Of course, if a correlation coefficient were calculated with times for CO2 lagging those for temperature, and it was stronger (positively) than the "preceding" correlation, that would be quite a conundrum for alarmists.

CO2 is evil and humans are evil creators of CO2.

That's all, folks. The science is settled and deniers are kooks.

CO2 is plant food. Without it we would starve.

CO2 is evil and humans are evil creators of CO2.

That's all, folks. The science is settled and deniers are kooks.

CO2 is plant food. Without it we would starve.

If you keep eating you'll eventually die of it. You'll live long enough to die of something else. Terrible.

--Brant

pretend sense

• 3 weeks later...

Instead of the US building this refinery which would be attacked as racist, economic capitalistic colonialism that is raping the planet, guess who?

Yep, the new, old, "Yellow Peril."

Someone wake up James Monroe.

The NY Times can hardily hide it's glee with this event:

Ecuador, with just 16 million people, has little presence on the global stage. But China’s rapidly expanding footprint here speaks volumes about the changing world order, as Beijing surges forward and Washington gradually loses ground.

OMG they will be polluting the Pacific and destroying the Rain Forest!!

Nope, the nice "yellow people" are the environment and indigenous folks special friends.

EL CHACO, Ecuador — Where the Andean foothills dip into the Amazon jungle, nearly 1,000 Chinese engineers and workers have been pouring concrete for a dam and a 15-mile underground tunnel. The $2.2 billion project will feed river water to eight giant Chinese turbines designed to produce enough electricity to light more than a third of Ecuador.

Near the port of Manta on the Pacific Ocean, Chinese banks are in talks to lend $7 billion for the construction of an oil refinery, which could make Ecuador a global player in gasoline, diesel and other petroleum products.

Nothing to see here, let's go after those Koch brothers, or, Trump!

Across the country in villages and towns, Chinese money is going to build roads, highways, bridges, hospitals, even a network of surveillance cameras stretching to the Galápagos Islands. State-owned Chinese banks have already put nearly $11 billion into the country, and the Ecuadorean government is asking for more.

China’s Global Ambitions, With Loans and Strings Attached

The country has invested billions in Ecuador and elsewhere, using its economic clout to win diplomatic allies and secure natural resources around the world.

By CLIFFORD KRAUSS and KEITH BRADSHER

I wouldn't put this past big oil, but at least the right is not the only one with conspiracy theories (from The Telegraph).

Three scientists investigating melting Arctic ice may have been assassinated, professor claims
Cambridge Professor Peter Wadhams suspects the deaths of the three scientists were more than just an ‘extraordinary’ coincidence

I don't know enough about it to comment, but it seems these scientists were claiming the Arctic ice was melting.

Michael

I wouldn't put this past big oil, but at least the right is not the only one with conspiracy theories (from The Telegraph).

Three scientists investigating melting Arctic ice may have been assassinated, professor claims

Cambridge Professor Peter Wadhams suspects the deaths of the three scientists were more than just an ‘extraordinary’ coincidence

I don't know enough about it to comment, but it seems these scientists were claiming the Arctic ice was melting.

Michael

We already knew that from satellite observations. The Northwest Passage has been opened up for over five years. So what "new" discoveries could have been made??

Ba'al Chatzaf

"Professor laxon fell down a flight of stairs at a New year’s Eve party at a house in Essex while Dr Giles died when she was in collision with a lorry when cycling to work in London. Dr Boyd is thought to have been struck by lightning while walking in Scotland.

[...]

“It was very steep stairs and I heard Seymour fall,” said Ms Strawbridge, “It is just completely bonkers [to suggest murder]."

Even the assasins in The Boys from Brazil stopped short of trying to use lightning strikes.

Meanwhile, back on the icecaps theme, here's something to really make you go bonkers: