How To Kiss Someone Passionately

I got the impression that they did not know whether they were filming a tutorial or a satire. I wish they had taken this more in a satire direction as some of the parts were very funny.

I looked at some of the other videos on that site and they are pretty dry.

My favorite scene about kissing comes from a 1988 movie with Dan Ackroyd and Kim Basinger called My Stepmother Is an Alien. Kim Bassinger is a creature from outer space who takes the form of a woman and comes to earth to experience things as humans do. There is a little creature, a "research assistant," who stays in her purse. When she finally gets to kiss Dan Ackroyd, she has no idea how to do it, so her "research assistant" gives her different suggestions that she tries out on poor Ackroyd (as he is trying to impress her and be pleased with the kissing). But he doesn't know about the creature. The climax is after things got really weird, her assistant showed a screen mentioning that Kiss was a chocolate made in Pennsylvania by Hershey and Bassinger was looking over Ackroyd's shoulder trying to figure out what to do with that information.

:)

Michael

In the movie French Kiss the french theif tells a story to distract Meg Ryan. He says that to kiss a whore cost more than having sexual intercourse with her. Meg says that doesn't make sense but he goes on to explain that sex is just lust but a kiss is love. I can't say that I totally agree with the French theif about sex being just lust but I have to say that some kisses really are passionate. :heart:

One of the points highlighted in Pretty Woman with Julia Roberts and Richard Gere was that the Hooker with a Heart of Gold would not kiss as part of her prostitution service. And of course, at the end, when she and Gere are finally going to be together from love, there is a big honking Hollywood kiss.

There is a documentary called Kisses narrated by Lauren Bacall that gives an overview of Hollywood kisses. (I saw this in Brazil because I was given the task of developing a similar project for a video production company, but it was not completed.)

Michael

Incidentally, I want to register a beef I have long felt in Objectivism, but only now realized why. Whenever someone in Objectivist literature mentions the affair between Ayn Rand and Nathaniel Branden, they talk about a "sexual relationship," but the way they use this phrase has always sounded so sterile to me that it made me uncomfortable. I always got the impression that "sexual relationship" was said with their nose wrinkled up, as if smelling something bad. There is a humongous Puritanical element to later Objectivism that is not present in Rand's fiction. I was never able to put my finger on it before, but now I have an intriguing thought.

I just did a search on the Objectivism Research CDROM and discovered something that made me laugh. I looked for the words "kiss," "kisses," "kissed," and "kissing." Rand's fiction is full of references to passionate kissing. Often the concept of reverence is included, like Kira in We the Living kissing the cold lips of statues of Greek gods. When her heroes and heroines kissed, it was usually electric and hot.

Now we come to her nonfiction. In everything written after Atlas Shrugged, Rand only wrote about kissing in a negative manner. The examples are so few they bear citing.

"How not to fight against Socialized Medicine" (The Objectivist Newsletter, Vol. 2, No. 3, March 1963, reprinted in The Voice of Reason, p. 286)

The ideological kiss of death was a statement by Dr. Dalgleish, the strikers' leader, who declared that if a plebiscite were taken and the people voted for it, the doctors would accept socialized medicine.

"Bootleg Romanticism" (The Objectivist Newsletter, Vol. 4, No. 1, January 1965, "Check Your Premises," reprinted in The Romantic Manifesto, p. 136)

There wasn't much applause on the night when I saw his second movie, From Russia with Love. Here, Bond was introduced pecking with schoolboy kisses at the face of a vapid-looking girl in a bathing suit.

"Art and Moral Treason" (The Objectivist Newsletter, Vol. 4, No. 3, March 1965, "Check Your Premises" reprinted in The Romantic Manifesto, p. 150)

When formal philosophy tells him that morality, by its very nature, is closed to reason and can be nothing but a matter of subjective choice, this is the kiss or seal of death on his moral development.

"The Psychology Of 'Psychologizing'" (The Objectivist, March 1971, reprinted in The Voice of Reason, p. 27)

And there are the countless psychologizing movies that explain a murderer's actions by showing that his domineering mother did not kiss him good night at the age of six—or account for a girl's frigidity by revealing that she once broke a doll representing her father.

That's it. Nothing else. Rand also mentioned in print A Kiss Before Dying by Ira Levin, but that doesn't count. I wonder if this is the price she paid for considering herself as the leader of a movement to save the world. You have to sacrifice good kissing, or at least sacrifice talking about it.

Interestingly, these "kiss" words do not appear at all in Objectivism: The Philosophy of Ayn Rand by Leonard Peikoff.

For people committed to passionate living, I find it strange that one of the most basic human expressions of love and passion is omitted or is used only for sarcasm and mocking in their writing.

Kissing has always been an essential part of my life. In Brazil I felt right at home because they kiss a lot down there and I loved it. It is even sometimes customary to "air kiss" strangers while touching cheeks on being introduced. This is a standard greeting among friends. Men often kiss other men on the cheek (but rarely on the mouth unless they are gay). Love as a "sense of life" is granted physical expression freely in that culture.

I wonder if the phrase "sexual relationship" will ever turn into "a relationship of exchanging body fluids" in Objectivist literature. Talk about up tight! Dayaamm!

:)

It is high time to put kissing back into "rational passion."

Michael

In the movie French Kiss the french theif tells a story to distract Meg Ryan. He says that to kiss a whore cost more than having sexual intercourse with her. Meg says that doesn't make sense but he goes on to explain that sex is just lust but a kiss is love. I can't say that I totally agree with the French theif about sex being just lust but I have to say that some kisses really are passionate. :heart:

I'd say this is because the prostitute all ready gives the most intimate thing possible up all the time, so she must elevate something else to that position. Confusing the motions of intimacy with the feelings that ought to lead to that intimacy leads to things like people who have sex too early in a relationship and later feel uncomfortable holding hands or spooning!

Kissing has always been an essential part of my life. In Brazil I felt right at home because they kiss a lot down there and I loved it. It is even sometimes customary to "air kiss" strangers while touching cheeks on being introduced. This is a standard greeting among friends. Men often kiss other men on the cheek (but rarely on the mouth unless they are gay). Love as a "sense of life" is granted physical expression freely in that culture.

Michael

I dont know, I think when you go around kissing everyone it takes away the value of kissing. I was dating a Brazilian girl for a while and she used to leave me messages all the time saying beijos abracos saudade etc ("kisses" "hugs" "miss you" for readers who dont know any Brazilian Portuguese) and such, I thought, aw, thats really sweet. Until I figured out that everyone from Brazil says that to everyone else, even people they don't know, which essentially meant to me that it didnt mean anything at all. So while I thought she was expressing some sincere affection and longing for me, she was in reality just using a common greeting. While Americans may be more stingy about kissing as a form of displaying affection, at least we mean it!

Until I figured out that everyone from Brazil says that to everyone else, even people they don't know, which essentially meant to me that it didnt mean anything at all.

Michael,

What on earth makes you believe that? I don't know your relationship with that girl, so I am not in a very good position to judge. But just because something is a common practice, that doesn't mean there are no degrees of value.

Sex is a common expression of romance, even here in the USA. Just because it is common, does that mean it "doesn't mean anything at all" with a partner? Would you say that sex with a woman you love deeply has the same meaning as sex with a hooker simply because sex with hookers is common?

Don't blame the kitten for being cute and adorable. My impression is that your Brazilian girlfriend was being just that and adding to it by her feelings for you.

Michael

• 4 months later...

If this is 'pick on Ayn Rand day' then let's do it right.

She never understood male sexuality and her brief comments in regard to it didn't grasp any bit of it. There's much to dislike about common male behavior that is uncommented on. But, failing to realize fundamental differences in the psyche of men and women is a true failing. I'd never advise a person to look to Rand for insight regarding sexuality if he's a male. There's certain virtues that are of great value for sure. There's the focus upon egoistic virtue and so forth. But there's no proper room for the identity of the male when it comes to sexual desires and congress.

There's something very important in the male 'rational animal'. We're losing or ignoring the animal.....Hell, we've lost the rational bit too. lol

• 2 years later...

Nathan didn't think so, at the time he wrote his biography of her! :-) He said that in bed, she was everything you'd imagine of the author of Atlas Shrugged. He sure seemed to thing that that was very high praise, indeed. It was all the conflict involved, with he and she being married to other people, their 25 year age diff, her rampant egoism, etc, that doomed the romance.

Nathan didn't think so, at the time he wrote his biography of her! :-) He said that in bed, she was everything you'd imagine of the author of Atlas Shrugged. He sure seemed to thing that that was very high praise, indeed. It was all the conflict involved, with he and she being married to other people, their 25 year age diff, her rampant egoism, etc, that doomed the romance.

"With he and she being married to other people"?

Nathan was married to Barbara, Ayn was married to her guy, I can't recall his name this second. Her real name was Alice Rosenbaum.

Frank O'Connor? Between this and your Garbage Pile thread about Muslims, I'd like to make a suggestion:

lurk.jpg

I always start out by going through the takeout window, slamming a few Whopper, Jr.s, then washing it down with a couple of Marlboro Menthols, and cheap beer.

The chicks dig this, I mean, they are floored.

rde

Knows how to give a girl a Good Time.