Peikoff rant against libertarians

9thdoctor

I will transcribe some or all (or just the exciting bits) of the Peikoff/Brook dialogue. I am experimenting with a simple way to type as fast as the talkers talk. I do this by slowing the tempo down.

This is for illustrative purposes. That Peikoff and Brook sound insanely drunk (or on Quaaludes) is the only benefit of listening.

Peikoff and Brook on the down-slow by wsscherk Edited by william.scherk

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brook's problem is relatively slight. Imagine trying to make yourself understood in English if you are a Korean who cannot distinguish between P and B or pronounce either one,

Isn't the problem for Koreans that they can distinguish pp from p from b, and English has just two sounds where they are used to three?

Robert Campbell

OTOH, Rand always had a problem with "th". Instead of faith she'd say face. Also her "ch" was usually closer to "sh". As in, "sank you wary mush".

ND,

For a certain project, I listened to a lot of recorded Ayn Rand.

Her difficulties with English pronunciation all appear to have been direct consequences of her native language being Russian.

No th in Russian.

No distinction between v and w in Russian.

Emphatic trilled r's where English speakers (OK, English speakers outside of Scotland) never do the trilling.

Occasional trouble with vowels, such "apPRAHpriate" for the adjective form. An unstressed "o" in Russian goes to "ah," rather like what happens to the written English "o" in "prop."

No distinction in Russian between the vowels in "bin" and "bean," or in "live" and "leave."

She had no speech impediment that I've been able to detect.

Robert Campbell

Brook's problem is relatively slight. Imagine trying to make yourself understood in English if you are a Korean who cannot distinguish between P and B or pronounce either one,

Isn't the problem for Koreans that they can distinguish pp from p from b, and English has just two sounds where they are used to three?

Robert Campbell

to our ears, yes as I understand it. I was thinking of a particular student who had the speech impediment in his own language, complicated by the fact that he had learnt English mostly from reading it. Quite a challenge.

I thought to put both Brook and Peikoff's vocal infelicities in perspective. Here is a drunken whale singing to its captors. The careful listener will find the cadences of Objectivish speech in the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtIv8RIbDbk

"Liberty" simply can't be an "ism". Bet you never thought of that before! You may as well be for "justice-ism".

ND,

It isn't just that the discussion is inane and, yes, knuckleheaded.

It's that Leonard Peikoff is having trouble articulating certain words, as though he's talking with several ice cubes in his mouth.

Robert Campbell

• 10 months later...

If there was ever an Objectivist clown, it'd be Leonard Peikoff. His utter cluelessness on chaos theory, epistemological relativism on logic, and his neocon desires for destruction sure make him look like one.

He can no longer defend his corpus and doesn't realize that means it's time to shut up entirely for he's now in territory no one can defend.

--Brant

his corpus sucks