Angelina Jolie as Dagny

Kat

Angelina Jolie as Dagny  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think Angelina Jolie is a good choice to play Dagny Taggart in the Atlas Shrugged movie?

• YES! ? She's perfect for the part!
    • Yes ? Maybe not the best choice, but she'll do fine
    • Neutral - no opinion either way
    • No ? She is not a very good choice to play Dagny
    • NO! ? She is horrible for the part!

Angie as Dagny. EXCELLENT for the part. Certainly she would be great for Dominique Francon as well, but Angie is just so utterly sexylicious, and Dagny, well, Dagny is just so lustworthy. Angie as Dagny... oh dear, I am going to get lots of "Jolie's" over that thought....

Brother, you said a mouth full. Actually, that posting photo you see of Angie doesn’t do her justice. I have seen many photos of her and, my god, she is both sexy and lustworthy. Trust me on that. [Hey, that's only for me to think about!!] :turned:

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holy crap! Dagny sits next to me in science class. At least physically.

The girl is pretty good looking but is rarely recognized as such because she rarely smles, very skinny, tallish, has blonde hair (supposed to be brown but whatever), and her features are all very gaunt and delicate although the girl herself (being an avid soccer player) is not.

Do we know who the actors are going to be for any of the other parts, such as Francisco, Hank, John, James Taggart, Lillian Rearden, Eddie Willers, etc.? If they're expecting it to be due out in Spring 2008, they must have cast most of the parts by now surely?

• 2 months later...
sc_010.jpg

Dagny?

Well, I'll be damned. I was going to make this suggestion, about Sarah Clarke being perfect for the role of Dagny Taggart, and I go back and find that Jeff beat me to it months ago.

I agree. She's perfect for the part. Every time I watch her on "24" I can't think about anything else.

The end of "24" Season Three had a trailer for "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" with Jolie in it; it's the first time I've ever seen Jolie on film. She is wrong, wrong, wrong for the part.

Judith

Edited by Judith

Judith,

Michael has brought up the idea of my painting a portrait of Jolie as Dagny for a presentation to her, and if you now see Sarah Clarke in the part -- and if you carry any influence, I’ll have to go back to my sketch pad. I do plan on doing a painting of Jolie. Argh! Hmm, what ever happened to all those plans?

Victor

Michael has brought up the idea of my painting a portrait of Jolie as Dagny for a presentation to her, and if you now see Sarah Clarke in the part -- and if you carry any influence, I’ll have to go back to my sketch pad. I do plan on doing a painting of Jolie. Argh! Hmm, what ever happened to all those plans?

If *I* have any influence? WIth whom? If only I had influence with the producers! If I did, Jodie Foster would be in the role!

My original copy of the novel had this cover:

Heindel-AtlasCover.jpg

It influenced my idea of what Dagny looked like as I read the book and has remained in my mind ever since. I've looked and looked for a print of this Ned Heindel painting, but I don't think any exist. What a pity.

Judith

Judith:

~ WOW! Where'd you find even a fascimile of that cover? That was also my 1st copy, and so sorry I didn't keep the sucker.

~ You're right about 'hard to find', even refs on the Web. 'Ned Heindel' only shows up as a noted chemical researcher and any other checks on AS cover art only shows Gaetano's (which is 'deco' sharp, but..)

~ That cover has a lot of nostalgia for me.

~ Do you know if he did the covers for the other books when they were reprinted for the times? I remember TRM showing a male (waist up) stretching his arms to the sky...along with his wings.

LLAP

J:D

Judith; You probably know that Rand has a new publisher. Given the changes in publishing it would probably impossible to find the cover art for that edition of Atlas. The new publisher is Penguin. This change occurred sometime after Rand died.

~ WOW! Where'd you find even a fascimile of that cover? That was also my 1st copy, and so sorry I didn't keep the sucker.

A few years ago I went to www.abebooks.com and looked for copies of the book. Sometimes sellers post photos of the book to show its condition. That photo came from there, if recollection serves me correctly.

~ You're right about 'hard to find', even refs on the Web. 'Ned Heindel' only shows up as a noted chemical researcher

:D I know. He was one of my organic chemistry professors way back when.

That's why I misspoke; the artist's name is Robert Heindel. He died in July of 2005, and was a noted painter of dancers. If you do a web search on the CORRECT name, you'll find out more.

~ Do you know if he did the covers for the other books when they were reprinted for the times? I remember TRM showing a male (waist up) stretching his arms to the sky...along with his wings.

To my knowledge, that's the only one.

Judith

If movie had been made right after the book came out:

kim_novak_01.jpg

Kim Novak

If they get a move-on, my current choice:

julianne_moore.jpg

Julianne Moore (LOOKS like someone named "Taggart")

Edited by Robert Jones

Barbara; I'll look into the short stories. I remember that Nathaniel Branden in one of his lectures had very strong criticism of Of Human Bondage. The reviews I read of The Painted Veil didn't sound that interesting. The movie with Tyrone Power ending up in Tibet don't terribly appeal to me. A great waspy performance from Clifton Webb.

Edited by Chris Grieb

I read nothing by Maughum and I don't know if I want to.

Chris, you are missing a great deal -- especially his short stories.

Barbara

I'll second that. "The Razor's Edge" is my favorite novel, and an excellent early Hitchcock flick ("Secret Agent") was based on a Maugham story. Check em out.

Robert; Thank you the name of The Razor's Edge. If I have not said it I like your reviews in The New Individualist. I may have already seen The Secret Agent but I will keep my eyes open for it.

Judith:

~ Obviously you still have a 'crush' on this...er...ummm...'teacher.'

~ Take a tip I learned from watching Frasier. He sublimated into his subconscious a guilt he felt when he, as a teenager, 'abandoned' his piano teacher (after a couple of introductory passionate lessons in...non-keyboard interactive-activities), and went off to college. It showed up in some, way-later, instance when arguing with Niles and their dad; Niles analyzed the source of the conflict, Frasier admitted the likelihood, and their dad said: "I was paying for piano lessons for you to get a 'guilt' complex over? Frasier: get over it!"

~ As Niles would say: "As Yoda would say: two mis-speaks is two Miss Peaks...not." Ok; a 'ned' is not a 'bert' or 'rob', but your sublimated confusion 'cost' me!!

~ I spent an HOUR looking for NED! :angry: --- and he doesn't even do finger or sand paintings, fer god's sakes!

LLAP

Robert; Thank you the name of The Razor's Edge. If I have not said it I like your reviews in The New Individualist. I may have already seen The Secret Agent but I will keep my eyes open for it.

Thanks Chris! I appreciate that. Somerset Maugham is no Graham Greene, but quite enjoyable nonetheless.

~ Obviously you still have a 'crush' on this...er...ummm...'teacher.'

:rofl:

No way. Never did. All I fell for was the chemistry itself!

~ I spent an HOUR looking for NED! :angry: --- and he doesn't even do finger or sand paintings, fer god's sakes!

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

He draws a pretty mean heterocyclic ring system!!

:lol::laugh:

Judith

• 4 weeks later...

Janie,

I repeat what I said on the earlier tread. I like Damian Lewis. I think he does a beautiful job in Band of Brothers.

Once again; Welcome. You're a great addition.

Janie:

~ Hello and welcome.

~ Re Angelina, since she's 'The Force' name behind all this, I don't think there's any worthwhileness in voting for or against her. She wants to be Dagny, she's Dagny; she's acceptable, or, she's not. If she agrees that she's not...maybe no AS gets made in our lifetime (at the rate things have gone so far.) If she is, I doubt that Brad'll be in it (except in some trivial cameo somewhere); I think they're both smart enough to know that that would be just, maybe, a 'bit much' after Mr and Mrs Smith.

~ If AS gets made though, I'll bet Brad'll be hopping for a re-make of THE FOUNTAINHEAD.

LLAP

Well, the latest news on Angelina Jolie is that she is headed towards the mommytrack. She is finishing her current film, taking a couple months off and then working for a couple months on a Clint Eastwood film before taking at least a year off. There was no mention of the Atlas Shrugged movie. Perhaps in about three to five years Angelina will be ready. Right now she is not a great fit for the part anyway... too sultry, too young, too concerned with showing the world what a great humanitarian she is. I simply cannot see her committed to to being Dagny. I hope I am wrong, but something just isn't adding up.

I am assuming that with the new screenwriter, Randall Wallace, starting from scratch, production is probably a year or more behind schedule. However, it is my understanding that the script is ready. The movie was to be released in the summer of 2008. I don't see that happening now, not with the star on parental leave.

Stay tuned....

Kat

Kat, I thought with the new screen play writer that the movie was not going to be made until at least 2008. The Badwins have not named a director either and I think at the Summer Seminar they said that would be the next big step.

Edited by Chris Grieb