The UN Sending Election Observers To...NEW HAMPSHIRE? I Thought This Was A Joke...

Selene

I was astounded by this...

For example, Aida Alzhanova of Kazakhstan will be monitoring in Santa Fe, New Mexico, and Phoenix, Arizona. Elchin Musayvev from Azerbaijan will be monitoring in [boston and] Concord, New Hampshire.

Kazakhstan has been criticized for a weak human rights record and a government that tightly controlls speech, assembly and the free exercise of religion. Azerbaijan is worse. The government there has violently cracked down on peaceful protests and the “atmosphere for journalists is hostile. . . . The government tightened restrictions on religious groups. . . . Torture and ill-treatment in police custody continue with impunity.”

http://michaelgraham...-new-hampshire/

http://You can see t...tinations here. <<<< the link is in the article and it has the locations where the "observers" will be assigned

Needless to say we should be expelling the United Nations from New York tomorrow...

I was astounded by this...

Needless to say we should be expelling the United Nations from New York tomorrow...

Yeah. I was freaking out too. What really needs to be done is to figure out how to get the US out of the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe**, which sponsors these observer visits as part of its Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights.

The idea that states can, will and do allow observers is a good one. US elections are complex techological affairs (in Canada we still use a paper ballot and pencil) with sometimes immense November ballots. There is nothing wrong with anyone 'observing' US elections -- they are a marvel. Moreover, I believe the OSCE ought do the reverse, and have the same institutional courtesy afforded its visitors in places with dodgy elections (Belarus, etc), and in Russia. Mutual inspection, in a way. A trade.

Here is the whole long Press Release from the danged acronym. I feel faint -- it looks like the US government invited the thugs in! It is bilateralism, akin to altruism, on evil's doorstep.

OSCE/ODIHR opens mission to observe general elections in United States

WASHINGTON D.C., 9 October 2012 – The Office for Democratic Institutions and Human Rights of the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE/ODIHR) today officially opened an election observation mission for the general elections to be held in the United States on 6 November.

The limited election observation mission's deployment follows an invitation from the authorities of the United States. As a participating State in the OSCE, the United States has committed itself to conducting elections in line with OSCE standards and inviting international election observers. ODIHR has assessed elections in the United States since 2002.

The mission is led by Ambassador Daan Everts and consists of 13 international experts based in Washington D.C. and 44 long-term observers to be deployed throughout the country. The observers are drawn from 23 OSCE participating States. The mission began its activities on 4 October.

Observers will assess these elections for compliance with international obligations and standards for democratic elections, including the commitments agreed to by all the OSCE participating States, and with national legislation. The mission will analyze the legislative framework and its implementation and will follow campaign activities, the work of the election administration and relevant government bodies, including voter registration, and the resolution of election disputes. As part of its observation, the ODIHR mission will conduct comprehensive monitoring of the media.

The mission will meet with representatives from relevant federal and state authorities and political parties, as well as with candidates, and with representatives from the judiciary, civil society and the media.

In line with ODIHR’s methodology for limited election observation, the mission will not carry out systematic or comprehensive observation of the voting, counting, and tabulation on election day. Mission members will, however, visit a number of polling stations across the country to follow election day procedures.

A statement of preliminary findings and conclusions will be issued and presented to the public on the day after the election. A final report on the observation of the entire electoral process will be published approximately two months after the completion of the election process.

For further information, please contact Giovanna Maiola, EOM Media Analyst, at +1 202 215 2291 (mobile) or giovanna.maiola@odihr.us, or Richard Lappin, Election Advisor, at +48 601 998 790 (mobile) or richard.lappin@odihr.pl.

Please also consult the mission website at: http://www.osce.org/...ctions/usa/2012

** (From Wikipedia) The OSCE is an ad hoc organization under the United Nations Charter (Chap. VIII), and is concerned with early warning, conflict prevention, crisis management and post-conflict rehabilitation. Its 56 participating states are located in Europe, the former Soviet Union and North America and cover most of the northern hemisphere. It was created during the Cold War era as an East-West forum.

Edited by william.scherk

WTF is the #@$& UN doing on any part of US soil?!?!?!?!

Blackhorse,

Trying to invade and dilute USA sovereignty, that's what.

Not cooperate. Subjugate, then once that takes, rule.

It's all about power. The sugarcoat for Progressives is that the UN is only concerned that Romney not get elected because of torture or sumpin'. And Progressives really don't want to see Romney elected.

But this thing is a Trojan Horse--even for them. They just can't see it right now because that horse looks awfully pretty to them...

Kind of like the first few highs on crack cocaine, which are great. The slavery comes later.

Michael

I would certainly volunteer my services to beat the UN individual into a bloody pulp and mail the scum bag's body to Nigeria where they decide elections with that late voting precincts...

Get the fuck out of my country - shot the mother fuckers if they appear at your local polling place.

I would certainly volunteer my services to beat the UN individual into a bloody pulp and mail the scum bag's body to Nigeria where they decide elections with that late voting precincts...

Get the fuck out of my country - shot the mother fuckers if they appear at your local polling place.

Can we hold you to this, crazy person? In New Jersey and New York, your targets for death are:

Siegfried Hotzapfel & Renate Pasch from Germany

David Kidger and David Godfrey from the United Kingdom

The ones you do not beat to death can be shot, as you suggest.

As for MSK's ramble, it is only marginally less kooky than your call to arms, Adam.

Tell us you did a little homework, and then tell us you were kidding, and then tell us some more less-insane targets for murder than election observers. Maybe the Walmart greeters or the airport gropers?

Edited by william.scherk

As for MSK's ramble, it is only marginally less kooky...

William,

Adam can speak for himself, but the hell my "ramble" is kooky.

When I see a cancer cell, I know it will grow to kill you if you nurture it.

Then i see someone standing around saying, "Look, it's only one tiny cell, snorkle snorkle glaumpht, ha ha! Where's the danger? Man is that kooky, glaumpht glaumpht, ha ha ha!"

And the person (you) thinks: boy are these people stoopid...

Here's the deal. I am convinced that the source of most power in human societies is the story behind it. That core story justifies the use of force--until a person grows so strong that he can replace the story by killing off those who adhere to the old one. And that is difficult these days. Strong-arm dictators are going the way of the dinosaur.

So those who want more power than what is available change--by nudges--the story that holds the limitations in place.

America's sovereignty is based on a core story. Cancer has been eating at that story for far too long. And those aspirants to replacing our structure--the ones who want more power than what is available right now--they have no intention of asking for permission. This UN thing is part of that storyline and it is a sign that the cancer is becoming malignant.

It's time to cut it out of the organism.

It's time to say that their story sucks--including their aspirations of ruling over us--and get it away from us. Let them tell it among themselves if they wish and live however the hell they wish, but get it away from us.

Michael

Can we hold you to this, crazy person? In New Jersey and New York, your targets for death are:

Siegfried Hotzapfel & Renate Pasch from Germany

David Kidger and David Godfrey from the United Kingdom

The ones you do not beat to death can be shot, as you suggest.

As for MSK's ramble, it is only marginally less kooky than your call to arms, Adam.

Tell us you did a little homework, and then tell us you were kidding, and then tell us some more less-insane targets for murder than election observers. Maybe the Walmart greeters or the airport gropers?

I was kidding...

Blackhorse,

It's all about power. The sugarcoat for Progressives is that the UN is only concerned that Romney not get elected because of torture or sumpin'. And Progressives really don't want to see Romney elected.

But this thing is a Trojan Horse--even for them. They just can't see it right now because that horse looks awfully pretty to them...

Kind of like the first few highs on crack cocaine, which are great. The slavery comes later.

Michael

I'm afraid the story has morphed into no countries except the US have sovereignty unless they have nuclear and atomic warheads.

--Brant

I'm afraid the story has morphed into no countries except the US have sovereignty unless they have nuclear and atomic warheads.

Brant,

That's actually another malignant cell that needs to be blasted out of the story.

One world government will equal one world power structure, which I don't see working very well on a population of 8 billion--unless oppressive measures start creeping in to properly indoctrinate folks into becoming good lil ole' obedient suckers and other oppressive measures to weed out the independent thinkers, especially the troublemakers, and get rid of them.

Now that we live in a super-abundant world compared to, say, the Wild West in the 1800's, killing people's spirit by making them mentally soft and addicted to various things is a real threat. There are already goodies galore to consume in comfort.

Probably the worst addiction we have in the world right now is debt.

The whole problem with a strong centralized power structure is the same as it has always been. You might get a good dictator who institutes policies that encourage growth. But the dictator eventually dies and you get a successor. Sometimes a real evil bastard comes along.

Does anyone really want to make a gigantic power structure to hand over to a madman? I can't think of anyone who would say yes, but we are headed in that direction. The USA government, with all its flaws (including being on the verge of turning into such a danger itself), is an impediment.

Frankly, I don't think people think along these lines. I think they're too busy navigating the sea of goodies on the presumption that the supply will never end, so all they want to do is get their hands on as much of whatever their lil ole' hearts desire and quickly as they can get it. I don't think most people think about power and madmen at all unless they are watching a fiction movie or reading a book.

Michael

Malignant cancer news ... (from Forbes today)

Texas Attorney General Tells U.N. Election Observers To Keep Their Distance

Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott has informed a group of international observers who intend to monitor polls in the Lone Star state on election day, that they best keep their distance. Literally.

He wrote that if observers are found to be stationed within 100 feet of the entrace of a polling place they could be subject to criminal prosecution.

The group, from the U.N.-affiliated Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE) has said it intends to send observers from countries such as Albania, Estonia, Russia, Slovenia and Turkey.

They may be particularly interested in Texas after a federal court in August blocked a Texas law that would have required voters to show a photo I.D. in order to cast a ballott. The could said the Texas law would constitute “strict, unforgiving burdens” on poor voters.

Georgia and Indiana already have voter I.D. laws that have been upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court. Texas, however, has a history of discrimination against minority voters, and the state is covered by Section 5 of the Voting Rights Act. This requires any changes to Texas voting law to be cleared by the Dept. of Justice before being put into effect. DOJ did not sign off on the Texas voter I.D. law.

Abbott, in a letter to OSCE released today, indicated that he doesn’t think much of the group — stating his understanding that OSCE had in recent months met with activist groups affiliated with ACORN, “which collapsed in disgrace after its role in a widespread voter-registration fraud scheme was uncovered,” wrote Abbott.

The attorney general said that he’s not interested in having international observers in Texas. “The OSCE may be entitled to its opinions about Voter ID laws, but your opinion is legally irrelevant in the United States, where the Supreme Court has already determined that Voter ID laws are constitutional.”

He ended his letter with a warning to any international observers who want to mess with Texas voters: “It may be a criminal offense for OSCE’s representatives to maintain a presence within 100 feet of a polling place’s entrance. Failure to comply with these requirements could subject the OSCE’s representatives to criminal prosecution for violating state law.”

Edited by william.scherk

William,

Understand this. I am all for checks and balances. I believe political power has to be sliced and diced until it is as small and ineffective as humanly possible.

But if people come from the outside and want to do some checking (and I am vehemently against anyone doing that), the very first prerequisite is that they have to be principled folks--ones who buy into the idea and USA form of checks and balances. Not people intent on removing one power in order to replace it with another.

Checks and balances exist within the USA system precisely to keep such power-hungry folks blocking each other by their very hunger. One person is only be able to increase his legal claim to power by taking it from another. And that other is not too friendly to the idea of giving his portion up. On the contrary, he would like to get his mitts on the first person's portion of power.

But the Constitution and USA law is the playbook. And the players are USA citizens. I don't want people from the outside on the USA checks and balances playing field because they use a different playbook. They are playing a different power game.

They adhere to a different story.

Michael

Translation: The UN (or the OECD) is trying to invade and dilute USA sovereignty.

Translation: The OECD election monitors are trying to subjugate (US institutions) no cooperate (with US institutions). Once the OECD subjugates US institutions, the OECD wil rule.

It's all about power.

Translation: It is the OECD. The OECD and its election monitors are all about power.

The sugarcoat for Progressives is that the UN is only concerned that Romney not get elected because of torture or sumpin'.

Attempted translation: Progressives (who remain unnamed) sugarcoat the attempted subjugation of US institutions by stressign that the UN/OECD is only concerned with preventing Romney getting elected. The OECD does not want Romney to be elected because of torture or sumpin'.

Torture or sumpin' ... ?

And Progressives really don't want to see Romney elected.

Translation: Progressives don't really want to see Romney get elected.

Translation: The OECD election observer mission is a Trojan Horse. A Trojan Horse is a 'gift' that conceals armed warriors who will kill you. Like an Xmas gift that blows up in your face.

Translation: The OECD election observer mission is like the first few highs on crack cocaine as well as being like an exploding Xmas gift. The mission feels great, and then you are a slave.

As for MSK's ramble, it is only marginally less kooky...

Adam can speak for himself, but the hell my "ramble" is kooky.

Well, from my point of view your rambling remarks and argument-by-analogy, even translated back to refer to OECD election missions as dangerous (if lovely) addictive drugs or/and gift-horses: the mission conceals a danger to those who harbour or invited them in or accept a snort.

This is a start to an argument, or a story, or a three-times-removed 'narrative,' but it is not an argument. Stripped down to its thesis it starts out, "This OECD mission is an attack on US Sovereignty just like cocaine or gift horses."

As a start, a beginning, okay, but where is the middle and the end?

When I see a cancer cell, I know it will grow to kill you if you nurture it.

Translation: The OECD observer mission is like a cancer cell. I (MSK) can identify cancer. and I know that cancer can be 'nurtured.' If you nurture foreign election observers/cancer, then foreign observers will kill "you" (the USA/me/whatever).

Then i see someone standing around saying, "Look, it's only one tiny cell, snorkle snorkle glaumpht, ha ha! Where's the danger? Man is that kooky, glaumpht glaumpht, ha ha ha!"

Translation: I (MSK) see someone unnamed as standing around a cancer cell, saying 'Where's the danger?'

And the person (you) thinks: boy are these people stoopid...

Translation: That unnamed person standing around the cancer cell is (you) WSS, and (you) WSS think I am stupid.

Here's the deal. I am convinced that the source of most power in human societies is the story behind it. That core story justifies the use of force--until a person grows so strong that he can replace the story by killing off those who adhere to the old one. And that is difficult these days. Strong-arm dictators are going the way of the dinosaur.

Translation: Okay, forget the OECD, cancer, horses and kooks. The real deal is power. The source of power in human societies is story.

That core story of power behind human societies justifies the use of force. It is on page fourteen. It's about persons. Strong persons, a person. A person grows strongly. That person grows really strong on the page fourteen story about horses. Fast forward. Fast forward again. Forget horse stories, forget cancer. That person, the strong one, well, he kills off the people who believe the old story (see page fourteen), and then fast forward. It is tough to kill everyone off because of the stories. Fast forward. Strong-arm dictators are like dinosaurs ... on their way out.

So those who want more power than what is available change--by nudges--the story that holds the limitations in place.

Translation: Those unnamed cancer trojans (Progressives, story telling strong persons, horse cancer) look at the story, and they nudge. Nudgity nudge nudge. Fast forward past the boring parts where I make this fit to the conclusion. Conclusion. The nudges move the story. The story holds limitations in place. Story. Nudge. Trojan. Cancer.

America's sovereignty is based on a core story. Cancer has been eating at that story for far too long. And those aspirants to replacing our structure--the ones who want more power than what is available right now--they have no intention of asking for permission. This UN thing is part of that storyline and it is a sign that the cancer is becoming malignant.

Translation: OK. Back to sovereignty. That's also based on a story. Back to cancer. Cancer eats at that story. Then there are some other guys. I don't know who they are. But anyway. Let's call the other guys (not me!), um, um, aspirants. Yeah. Okay. Pause. Aspirants want more power (over, um, oh, elections) but that is not available right now. Cancer. Structure. Our structure. Forward. The aspirants will not ask for permission. Um.

Okay, there is a thing. The thing is called "The UN Thing." It's a thing. It's cancer. It's aspiring. It is a horse. It is a cancer horse aspirant cancer kind of thing. And, um, oh yeah, the thing is becoming malignant. Like cancer. Yeah.

It's time to cut it out of the organism.

Translation: It is time to cut the cancer out of the organism. The organism is our structure based on a story (not page fourteen). The thing is the thing. Cancer. UN. Yeah.

It's time to say that their story sucks--including their aspirations of ruling over us--and get it away from us. Let them tell it among themselves if they wish and live however the hell they wish, but get it away from us.

Translation: Okay. So ... the aspirant horse cancer story sucks. They (the aspirants, whatever) want to rule, and so get it (IT!) away from us. Yeah. Cancer UN horse story. They wish things. Get it away. Torture or sumpin'.

But if people come from the outside and want to do some checking (and I am vehemently against anyone doing that), the very first prerequisite is that they have to be principled folks--ones who buy into the idea and USA form of checks and balances. Not people intent on removing one power in order to replace it with another.

This is a position I can respect. If I read you correctly, the agreements between and among OSCE members to observe elections should be abrogated unilaterally by the USA. I think you would agree to remove the USA from this organization. The over-arching position you appear to have is that no one from outside your country should be able to 'monitor' or otherwise observe any aspect of US elections.

This has a corollary, perhaps, if extended beyond. If the OCSE should have no possibility of election-monitoring in the USA, then the OCSE should have no possibility of monitoring elections in other members. In other words, no election observation in Kosovo, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Russia, Montenegro.

Do you support this?

I don't want people from the outside on the USA checks and balances playing field because they use a different playbook. They are playing a different power game.

They adhere to a different story.

Again with the murky use of "They." In this instance 'people from outside the USA checks and balances' you say use a different 'playbook.' I do not know if you are talking about the members of the OSCE. When you use these general pronouns, it is rarely clear who you are talking about. "They" adhere to a different story? Well, what is that story, Michael? Where have you read that story?

I think this might be part of the story of "Them":

OSCE Heads of State and Government, at the 2010 Summit

in Astana, reaffirmed their dedication to realizing a “free,

democratic, common and indivisible Euro-Atlantic and Eurasian

security community stretching from Vancouver to Vladivostok,

rooted in agreed principles, shared commitments and common

goals”.

This vision underpins everything we do.

I don't see what the big deal is here. We send election observers to other countries, so this is kind of like when your mother ate a Brussels sprout to convince you to try one too. And she goes "hmmm, good", you try a bite, and then you feel you can never fully trust her again, but now I digress.

The observers are going to go back to their countries better trained in how to conduct elections, one hopes. Are we paying them to come here? I assume not. Do they have some kind of veto over the results?

Those unnamed cancer trojans (Progressives, story telling strong persons, horse cancer) look at the story, and they nudge. Nudgity nudge nudge. Fast forward past the boring parts where I make this fit to the conclusion. Conclusion. The nudges move the story.

Why yes. That is 100% true.

:smile:

Here's one of the Progressive playbooks laying out the strategy: Nudge: Improving Decisions About Health, Wealth, and Happiness by Richard Thaler and Cass Sunstein.

You don't need to worry you poor lil ole' mind about nuthin'. They'll nudge you until you choose the correct choice.

If you ultimately refuse, they shove, but that's a different matter for a different stage of power. And if the shove doesn't work, things can get real ugly. But right now it's all health, wealth and happiness and just a little political nudging from oh so well-intentioned nudgers to try to prevent that creepy bigoted Mormon asshole from getting elected. :smile:

Michael

The OECD is just one cancer cell, not the whole disease. It, by itself, will not rule.

All I get from this is that you liken the OECD to cancer. You assert this, you proclaim it, you maintain it, you make this your story.

And you give nothing at all to support this story, not by reference to the OECD 'story' and not by reference to reality.

If the OCSE should have no possibility of election-monitoring in the USA, then the OCSE should have no possibility of monitoring elections in other members. In other words, no election observation in Kosovo, Kazakhstan, Belarus, Russia, Montenegro.

Do you support this?

William,

Absolutely.

Again with the murky use of "They."

It's not murky at all for this topic.

USA citizen = us.

Not USA citizen = they.

The murkiness comes in when the USA government does something that opens the doors to include foreign governments to govern USA citizens.

That ain't gonna happen.

And if it starts, even by a small nudge, I will be one of the opposers working actively to throw the bums out.

Do not confuse USA citizens with the USA government.

This is a point many people do not understand about the USA story. They are too used to the world having a king.

Michael

I don't see what the big deal is here. We send election observers to other countries, so this is kind of like when your mother ate a brussel sprout to convince you to try one too. And she goes "hmmm, good", you try a bite, and then you feel you can never fully trust her again, but now I digress.

The observers are going to go back to their countries better trained in how to conduct elections, one hopes. Are we paying them to come here? I assume not. Do they have some kind of veto over the results?

No more so than their veto over the results from Belarus (or Russia).

Here is an interesting bit from the OSCE's lady, Giovanna Maiola, quoted from an email at The Hill blog:

In a follow-up e-mail, Maiola noted that it is a limited election-observation mission. She said “the OSCE has regularly been invited to observe elections in the United States, in line with OSCE commitments.”

Access of international observers during voting is explicitly allowed in some states such as Missouri, South Dakota, North Dakota and New Mexico.

“State law does not generally provide for international observers,” Maiola said. “However, through our contacts at state and county level in certain states, we managed to secure invitations at local level and we have taken up the offer to observe. Where this is not possible, we will respect the state regulation on this matter and will not observe in precincts on Election Day.”

I expect that the two scheduled observers in Austin Texas will observe the threat by the Texas AG, and not cross his red lines. However, the head of the nasty cancer organization of trojan horse exploding gifts has said this in a letter to Secretary Clinton:

“The threat of criminal sanctions against OSCE/ODIHR observers is unacceptable,” Lenarčič said. “The United States, like all countries in the OSCE, has an obligation to invite ODIHR observers to observe its elections.”

The ODIHR Director also stressed that any concerns or reports that the election observers intended to influence or interfere with the election process were groundless. He underlined that OSCE/ODIHR election observers adhere to all national laws and regulations, as well as a strict code of conduct.

“Our observers are required to remain strictly impartial and not to intervene in the voting process in any way,” Lenarčič said. “They are in the United States to observe these elections, not to interfere in them.”

The ODIHR limited election observation mission for the 2012 general elections in the United States consists of a core team of 13 experts, from 10 OSCE participating States, based in Washington D.C., and 44 long-term observers deployed throughout the country. These are the sixth United States elections the Office has observed, without incident, since 2002.