Two new books by Tibor Machan

Two new books by Tibor Machan

There are two new books out by Tibor Machan. Both are available at Laissez Faire Books (links with OL affiliate program). Both look very interesting. The first looks especially appealing to help correct some orthodox Objectivist misconceptions about libertarianism.

Michael

LIBERTARIANISM DEFENDED

Ashgate, 2006, paperback

In this large collection of essays, Machan examines libertarianism from a wide range of perspectives, defending it against many different arguments commonly used against the philosophy, not only by anti-libertarians but by various factions within the group. Though you may not always agree with Machan's ideas, he covers a lot of issues and does a very thorough job of it. Libertarianism Defended is sure to give you something to think about.

"For decades, Tibor Machan has been exploring and explaining the ideas of liberty to both the layman and the academic. Libertarianism Defended proves once again that Machan understands freedom better than Hayek, Rothbard, or even Mises. The novice will find a consistent and thorough introduction to liberty; the scholar will find a sophisticated thinker who has answers to some of the most forceful arguments against freedom. Believers will be comforted, the curious will find answers, and critics ignore Machan at their peril."

Timothy Sandefur, staff attorney, Pacific Legal Foundation and author of Cornerstone of Liberty

348 pages

LIBERTY AND JUSTICE

Hoover Institution, 2006, paperback

What is justice?

What is justice? In this book, Tibor Machan (along with contributors Anthony de Jasay, Jonathan Jacobs, and Jennifer McKitrick) answers that question, examining the concept of justice from a libertarian and Randian perspective and showing how justice relates to liberty and freedom.

The authors compare the libertarian approach of an equal right to liberty for all to the modern liberal focus on capability or entitlements. De Jasay questions whether justice requires fairness—and how simple bad luck affects fairness. Jacobs looks at the moral psychology of justice. McKitrick looks at feminism, arguing that liberty for all is compatible with justice for women. Machan offers a natural rights approach to justice. A very interesting read.

146 pages

• 3 weeks later...

Tibor sent me a nice-sized e-copy of the cover to his Liberty and Justice book, and I use it from time to time as the desktop image on my computer. It's really inspiring! If anyone would like an e-copy of the book cover, please send me your email and request, and I'll email it to you as an attached file. Contact me at REBissell@aol.com

REB