Egg Drop Soup. Yummy !!

CNA

Many enjoy chicken soup in the winter or more commonly when they are sick as it provides "comfort." It is a comfort food. I use it to help soothe a sore throat and it makes you all warm and cuddly inside. Here is a wonderful alternative to Chicken Soup. Egg Drop Soup, it is easy to make from scratch, or from canned chicked broth, or can also be bought in powdered form. The latter, all you have to do is add water, one well beaten egg, and soy sauce if desired. Here is an easy variation but will also provide some links to whoever wants to make it from scratch or would like to add to it.

4 cups chicken broth

2 eggs, well beaten

1 green onion, thinly sliced (add more or less if desired)

soy sauce to taste (optional)

pepper to taste (optional)

Bring chicken broth and green onions to a boil, gradually add egg to boiling broth, stirring gently in one direction, remove from heat, season with soy sauce and pepper if desired.

egdrop.jpg

Here are some additional links for anyone interested in making it from scratch or just wants to add to it.

Egg Drop Soup

Food Network Asian Egg Drop Soup

Edited by CNA

Yummy, honey, real yummy! (I mean the Egg Drop Soup in this case). Yes, you will be the cook in our household--not that I'm holding you to an old fashioned standard, but just that you are a better cook, as it would seem. :drool:

But honey, didn't you tell me the other night that YOU will be the one cooking in the house? This was after telling you about my eggs sunny side up with sugar on top as well as liking a bowl of rice with milk, a slab of butter, and sugar mixed in. Mmmmm.....I've already eaten my sunny side egg sandwich with sugar sprinkled on top. But I'm yet to eat the rice in a bowl with milk, sugar, and butter added to it. There is an Hawaiian dessert that is similar and I am looking for the recipe and picture of it so I can post it.

Thanks for the recipe, Angie. This is one of the first things I learned how to make in Home Economics in middle school, so it does bring back some memories of having to sew my own apron out of red and white gingham and also learning the fine art of making cinnamon toast. LOLOL.

Have you tried the bowl of rice with milk and cinnamon with just a little bit of Splenda. Skip the butter.

Now I need to learn how to cook and calculate Weight Watchers points, which is a ratio of calories, fat and fiber. So any low cal recipes are welcome. Gotta lose about 30. :shocked:

Kat

Yummy, honey, real yummy! (I mean the Egg Drop Soup in this case). Yes, you will be the cook in our household--not that I'm holding you to an old fashioned standard, but just that you are a better cook, as it would seem. :drool:

But honey, didn't you tell me the other night that YOU will be the one cooking in the house? This was after telling you about my eggs sunny side up with sugar on top as well as liking a bowl of rice with milk, a slab of butter, and sugar mixed in. Mmmmm.....I've already eaten my sunny side egg sandwich with sugar sprinkled on top. But I'm yet to eat the rice in a bowl with milk, sugar, and butter added to it. There is an Hawaiian dessert that is similar and I am looking for the recipe and picture of it so I can post it.

I will be the king of the castle. And just like the ancient monarchs who had courtesans taste the king’s food, (to insure it wasn’t poisoned or prepared in such a way to incur the king’s displeasure) I will have your meals subjected to a similar test. Ha!

Edited by Victor Pross

Well, I just browsed quite a bit looking for it and couldn't find the Hawaiian recipe that is similar but theirs is a bit different. With mine, all you do is take your left over cooked white rice, add a slab of butter, add some milk (enough to cover the top), add some sugar however much you want, mix and eat. It's similar to a rice pudding but doesn't have the consistency of a smooth pudding. It's actually quite good believe it or not.

Thanks for the recipe, Angie. This is one of the first things I learned how to make in Home Economics in middle school, so it does bring back some memories of having to sew my own apron out of red and white gingham and also learning the fine art of making cinnamon toast. LOLOL.

Have you tried the bowl of rice with milk and cinnamon with just a little bit of Splenda. Skip the butter.

Now I need to learn how to cook and calculate Weight Watchers points, which is a ratio of calories, fat and fiber. So any low cal recipes are welcome. Gotta lose about 30. :shocked:

Kat

You're welcome, Kat. Hmmm.....the rice bowl with cinnamon and Splenda sounds really good !! I have a book that has exchanges on it from fast food to comfort food and so on, calories, fat content, etc. But it's packed away and I'll see if I can find it. It's an excellent book. I also have many other recipe books, healthy cooking if you will and will look for those as well. Also I don't know if you have an El Pollo Loco out where you are at but there is one item I think ??? that is on their menu that you can eat within the Weight Watcher's points. It is their Original Pollo Bowl and is good. Of course, minus the sour cream and guacamole.

ult_pollo_pic.jpg

I just pulled this off some site. It's for the Pollo Bowl. Sodium is real high though. Wow.

El Pollo Loco©

Pollo Bowl©

Serving Size: 17 oz

Calories: 545

Total Fat: 10 grams

Saturated Fat: 1 grams

Cholesterol: 40 milligrams

Sodium: 2160 milligrams

Carbohydrates: 84 grams

Fiber: 12 grams

Sugars: 1 grams

Protein: 31 grams

Many enjoy chicken soup in the winter or more commonly when they are sick as it provides "comfort." It is a comfort food. I use it to help soothe a sore throat and it makes you all warm and cuddly inside. Here is a wonderful alternative to Chicken Soup. Egg Drop Soup, it is easy to make from scratch, or from canned chicked broth, or can also be bought in powdered form. The latter, all you have to do is add water, one well beaten egg, and soy sauce if desired. Here is an easy variation but will also provide some links to whoever wants to make it from scratch or would like to add to it.

4 cups chicken broth

2 eggs, well beaten

1 green onion, thinly sliced (add more or less if desired)

soy sauce to taste (optional)

pepper to taste (optional)

Bring chicken broth and green onions to a boil, gradually add egg to boiling broth, stirring gently in one direction, remove from heat, season with soy sauce and pepper if desired.

egdrop.jpg

Here are some additional links for anyone interested in making it from scratch or just wants to add to it.

Egg Drop Soup

Food Network Asian Egg Drop Soup

Angie, here is the recipe for the chicken broth

1 Put the leftover bones and skin from a chicken carcass into a large stock pot and cover with cold water. Add celery, onion, carrots, and Italian parsley.

2 Add salt and pepper, about 1/2 tsp of salt, 1/4 tsp of pepper.

3 Bring to a boil and reduce heat to bring the stock to a low simmer.

4 Simmer uncovered at least 4 hours, occassionally skimming off the foam that comes to the surface.

5 Remove the bones and strain the stock.

Ciao

Ciro D'Agostino

Thanks Ciro.

That is much better than what my home ec teacher taught me. I think we used bullion cubes. Anyway, whenever I make roast chicken or buy a cooked chicken from the store or Boston Market I will usually keep the carcass and make chicken noodle soup the next day. Remove fat and pull as much meat off as possible before dropping the carcasss and the meat in a pot of water and adding noodles, veggies and seasonings. Fish out and remove the bones before serving and share the wishbone with the youngest member of the household.

Kat

• 5 months later...

Hi Angie!

Is this Iraqui rice anything like your dish?

Sholeh Zard

1 cup short grained rice

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup corn oil

1/2 cup rose water

2 teaspoons ground saffron

Put rice in large sauce pan. Pour 7 to 8 cups water over rice. Boil and stir occassionally.

After 30 minutes of boiling, add sugar and wait for it to disolve. Cover rice and simmer for 20 minutes. Add corn oil, rose water, and saffron to rice. Cook covered under low heat for 20 minutes. Stir and remove from heat. Cover and let sit 40 minutes. Serves 6 to8.